GMC Sierra Hard Start

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

GMC Sierra Hard Start

Postby rmb79 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:35 pm

Hey Guys,

I have a 2000, 5.3 V8 Sierra. Every once in a while it hard starts. I have a company car, so I only drive it on the weekends, it will start just fine, then if I drive somewhere and turn the truck off, The next time I start it, it will hard start. The truck is turning over. Not sure what is going on. It only happens every 8-10 starts.

I had a new fuel pump, and fuel pressure regulator put in last october. I put in a new fuel filter 2 months ago.

The truck has never failed to not start. (knock on wood)

Any suggestions.. Thanks for your help.
Go Pack, the Bears still SUCK!

Co-Founder of the S.B.A.M.F.W.C.
rmb79
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:25 pm

Its hard to tell without driving it myself but do you mean hard starting like low battery voltage drag, engine lagging or starter not catching?
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hillman raider » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:41 pm

A similar problem happened with my mazda tribute. We would drive it somewhere and get back in the suv and it wouldnt start. It was traced back to a over heating issue, (i cant rem. the specifics because it was a long time ago.) The engine would crank but not start.
hillman raider
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:50 pm

The starter is catching. I don't think it is a starter issue.

I put in a new battery a year and half ago.....What else would cause low battery voltage drag or engine lagging. How do I check?

Thanks for the help.

Ross

rmb79
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:57 pm

If you live near a auto zone or shucks or a type of auto store they will usually check your batt for free.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rmb79 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:09 pm

Did that already. Battery is fine.

I am stumped on this one. Diagnostic is really showing anything also. I am driving from KS to Wyoming this septermber for an antelope hunt and want to have this figured out before then.

Please, keep the suggestions coming. I appreciate it.

Ross

rmb79
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:04 am

trade it in and get a FORD. ZING!!!

Just kiddin.

Just from being there when it happens, and knowing everything he has done to try to remedy this issue, I would almost wonder if its an electronics issue. Like maybe its not getting spark or no gas. He can turn the key for 5 seconds and the engine just turns over but no start. Then he tries it again and it starts right up.

Its kind of a wierd issue.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:07 am

On a second note, these are a few things that I have been thinking about, BTW I am far from a mechanic.

But if oil pressure was low will that prevent a car from starting? Kinda like a saftey thing

Some kind of sensor?

Mass air flow sensor?

Temp sensor?
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:30 am

I had a suggestion to flash the computer. Anyone ever try that before?

rmb79
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:48 am

Computer flashing is usually done when you either replace a major component that needs to be calibrated or in tune with the engine, computer and transmission. Mostly done with desiel trucks. I don't think that's your problems. If it were me I'd just take it down to a shop and have them hook a scanner up and see if any codes pop up. Most people won't care if you just want to know what the codes are, that's if there good people.

If you think its your oil pressure sensor then check you oil. If it were a map sensor the check engine light would have come on and if it where the temp sensor then it wouldn't just do it every 8 to 10 key starts.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rmb79 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:24 pm

Thanks LA,

The check engine light has not come on. I just checked the oil, and it was at the max line on the dipstick. It wasn't dirty either.

I'll take it to a shop when I get some time, and see if they'll hook it up for me.

Also for kicks, I just started it up 9 times in a row without any issue.

This is going to bother me until I get it figured out.

rmb79
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:02 pm

I know your going on a trip but hey man if it ain't broke don't fix it or run it till it blows......or you actually fine the problem. I know some of those bs problems can't get irritating. I wish I could help more but without being there I could have you replacing part and running circles.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:54 am

Any chance it is vapor locking?
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:50 am

I thought about that too but it sounds like it happens just on a certain amount of starts not really at a certain time. I guess I could have asked.

Have you realized that this happens at a certain time of day like during the hottest part of the day or first thing after a short drive?

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kcduckslayer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:07 am

to answer for him it happens when its hot and cold. It seems like everytime I ride with him it happens. Personally I have only heard the truck start right up once or twice all the other times its a hard start.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:15 pm

well, it's either a fuel issue or an ignition issue. it could be plugs or plug wires, a bad coil, keyswitch or distributor. Or it could be an EFI issue, a fuel pump issue, or clogged injectors. you say you put in a new pump, did you pressure check the pump? if you have a clear fuel filter, is there fuel in the line from what you can see? you may have a loose wire somewhere in your ignition system. check these and if you find something, PM me and i will do my best to help you out.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:07 pm

my $.02...

Doubt it is vaopr locking. That is pretty much a non-issue on a EFI system with a closed loop. With the return line tot he tank, teh fuel nevers sits long enough in the lines to get hot enough to vapor lock.

It could be an electrical problem of sorts. I would rule out the plugs and wire right off the bat. They will nto really cause a hard start condition without leaving a misfire int eh system once you do get it started. And they would be worse when hot. The Fuel injectors COULD cause a hard start condition if they were clogged. But that would be ahard start every time. Not to mention likely to cause a misfire.

For an electircal check, i would look at the Crank position Sensor. It is on teh side of the block right above the starter. I have seen a lot of those not plugged in completely from the factory. Waity till the engine is cold, reach above teh starter and make sure the connector is seated completely.

Other than that i would want to check the fuel pressure and volume. A hard start can be a real pain to diagnose.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rmb79 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:09 pm

To answer a couple of questions.

Yes it seems to happen after the truck sits (like a week when I am traveling for business), I start it up just fine, take a short drive to the store or a friends house. Then when I start again it hard starts, but the baffeling thing is it doesn't do it all the time.

When the fuel pump was replaced, I had it done at a shop, so I would assume everything was done correctly. I replaced the plugs and wires last summer, with the help of a mechanic friend.

I have tried fuel injector cleaner, but not sure if that really helps or not.

I'll look at some of the suggestions when I get back home Thursday or Friday of this week.

Thanks for the help/suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Ross

rmb79
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:02 pm

fowl_wishes wrote:my $.02...

Doubt it is vaopr locking. That is pretty much a non-issue on a EFI system with a closed loop. With the return line tot he tank, teh fuel nevers sits long enough in the lines to get hot enough to vapor lock.

It could be an electrical problem of sorts. I would rule out the plugs and wire right off the bat. They will nto really cause a hard start condition without leaving a misfire int eh system once you do get it started. And they would be worse when hot. The Fuel injectors COULD cause a hard start condition if they were clogged. But that would be ahard start every time. Not to mention likely to cause a misfire.

For an electircal check, i would look at the Crank position Sensor. It is on teh side of the block right above the starter. I have seen a lot of those not plugged in completely from the factory. Waity till the engine is cold, reach above teh starter and make sure the connector is seated completely.

Other than that i would want to check the fuel pressure and volume. A hard start can be a real pain to diagnose.

I semi-doubted the vapor locking thing myself, that is why I posted it as a question more than an answer. :rofl:

Do you know off hand if it had a cam position sensor in addition to a crank position sensor? I think I have heard of similar issues from cam position sensors being bad as well.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:12 am

It does have a cam position sensor, but i have nto seen many failures of that part. In all honesty i havent replaced a cam or crank sensor on a 5.3L v8 since they came out. The only problem i have found is that the CKPS isnt plugged in all teh way.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:57 am

fowl_wishes wrote:It does have a cam position sensor, but i have nto seen many failures of that part. In all honesty i havent replaced a cam or crank sensor on a 5.3L v8 since they came out. The only problem i have found is that the CKPS isnt plugged in all teh way.

10-4. I'm not a Chevy guy by any means, so I wasn't sure.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby YumaDuckHntr » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:27 pm

Were did you get the new fuel pump? Mine did the exact same thing. Since it was still under warranty I took it to the dealer. $429 OEM fuel pump fixed the problem. A friend replaced the fuel pump in his truck with a $180 fuel pump from a big chain autoparts store. Didn't fix the problem with his.
YumaDuckHntr
Newb

Re: GMC Sierra Hard Start

Postby rmb79 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:51 pm

Well,

Its been a year since this thread was last up. The fuel pump was OEM. The truck still hard starts, but has never failed to start. I am headed back out to Wyoming in a couple of weeks for a mule deer hunt. This is really starting to piss me off.

I think the injectors might be dirty. I am going to try to clean them out this weekend.

I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it, (even if its broke)

Engine light does not come on, and other than the hard start the truck runs great.

Any other ideas?

rmb79
hunter

Postby MOwaterfowler » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:35 pm

the injectors are leaking down. would be my guess.

for fun try truning on the key count to 5 every time you start and see if it ever happenes again.
2009-10
the goose egg currently
MOwaterfowler
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:56 am

Check the fuel pressure at the rail. I know you said you replaced the pump but for good measured I would still check the pressure @ the rail. I'd also check the condition of the plugs/wires/cap/rotor (assuming it has all those and isn't coil on plug). Probably not your problem but certainly an easy place to start.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Vehicle forum