GMC Sierra Hard Start

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Re: GMC Sierra Hard Start

Postby rmb79 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:21 pm

MOwaterfowler wrote:the injectors are leaking down. would be my guess.

for fun try truning on the key count to 5 every time you start and see if it ever happenes again.

Will that do anything bad to the starter/ignition?
Go Pack, the Bears still SUCK!

Co-Founder of the S.B.A.M.F.W.C.
rmb79
hunter

Postby mox » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:40 pm

I have a '99 z71(same engine/bodystyle as the 5.3 2000), my 1st cousin has a 2000 z71. My '99 has 204,000 miles (150,000 I've put on it); his 2000 has 160,000 and both trucks have had this starting problem. His 2000 has had more trouble than my '99. Both trucks have had no major mechanical issues at all. I would drive the '99 on a 1000+ mile trip tomorrow. In review, I don't know how to fix the problem, but I love my truck.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:05 am

rmb79 wrote:

for fun try truning on the key count to 5 every time you start and see if it ever happenes again.

No it will not do anything bad to the starter or ignition. Next time you try to start it, turn the key to the on position and you will hear the fuel pump cycle on to build fuel pressure, should take about a second or two. Once you hear the pump turn off try starting and see if it starts easier than it has in the past.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:23 pm

I had a problem with my 91 chevy van.
It was a simple matter of the loose /corroded connection at the coil or a weak external coil.
Check to see if you are getting any spark.
Also I just changed my fuel filter in June and fuel injector cleaner every fill up and the add a bottle of lucas fuel injector cleaner..cleaned out th fuel system but stirred up the fuel tank and lines and all this stuff plugged up the fuel filter pronto..put on a new fuel filter
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby rmb79 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:15 pm

ajmorell wrote:
rmb79 wrote:

No it will not do anything bad to the starter or ignition. Next time you try to start it, turn the key to the on position and you will hear the fuel pump cycle on to build fuel pressure, should take about a second or two. Once you hear the pump turn off try starting and see if it starts easier than it has in the past.

Thanks,

I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Go Pack, the Bears still SUCK!

Co-Founder of the S.B.A.M.F.W.C.
rmb79
hunter

Postby Joe01bass » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:00 pm

I don't know if you ever got this fixed or not, but a buddy of mine and a guy I worked for, as well as his mechanic all have had this problem. Even the mechanic cannot figure out what it is and insists it must be electrical. Turn the key to acc for a few seconds until you hear the fuel pumps stop priming and then try starting it. It should start right up after that. I have no clue what it could be, but I know that everytime I get in one of the trucks they have to start it like a dang diesel. Oh ya, they are all 99+ 5.3 vortecs.
Joe01bass
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:01 am

You say if you drive it somewhere and then get back in it is hard to start. If you let it sit for a day I would bet it starts right up. I have one that had this issue, It was the fuel injectors bleading down and placeing too much fuel in the intake which caused flooding, If you cranked it over enough it would start eventually. this only happened if I drove it, Shut if off and then tried to start it again without letting it sit for several hours. If I let it sit for several hours it would start right up possible due to the extra fuel evaproating before it was sucked into the cylinders.

Other than that it ran great. In my Trouble shooting I would drive it, When I got where I was going I would leave it running and pull the fuel injector fuses (mine had 2) and let it stall, turn it off and then do my business, when I got back in I would plug in the fuses and it would start right up every time. I had to replace all 8 fuel injectors but was told that there are a couple of selonoids on the fuel system that can also cause this bleed down issue if they do not close properly. Until I could afford the fuel injectors I just kept pulling fuses.

Sometimes if I just shut it off and went into a store and came right back out it would start so I would not mess with the fuses but if it did not start right up I would pull the fuses and crank it until it started (on the excess fuel already there) and then when it would quit I would plug in the fuses and it would start right back up.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jasper » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:26 pm

I had the same problem on my 99 Silverado. It was the fuel pressure regulator. I know you said you replaced it but pull the vacuum line off the regulator and see if gas drips out or if you can smell gas. When I pulled the vacuum line off of mine a couple of drops of gas came out. New regulator and no problems after.
jasper
hunter

Postby mox » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:54 pm

jasper wrote:I had the same problem on my 99 Silverado. It was the fuel pressure regulator. I know you said you replaced it but pull the vacuum line off the regulator and see if gas drips out or if you can smell gas. When I pulled the vacuum line off of mine a couple of drops of gas came out. New regulator and no problems after.

was yours the new body style or same as the 98s? i could smell gas from mine at times as well... never thought it could be the fuel pressure regulator...
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby jasper » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:08 pm

New body style with the 5.3. I have a good friend who is a mechanic and was telling him about it over a couple of beers. He pulled off the vacuum line and sure enough. Gas... That was the first thing he went to as well. Said he sees it a lot on that particular engine. Just remember if you change it to make sure the o-ring come out with the old one. You don't want two in the rail and try to force the regulator in.
jasper
hunter

Postby mox » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:23 pm

Mine was the same. My father has it now. He hasn't had any trouble with it lately. If he does I'll definitely recommend we take a look at this stuff.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby jal31899 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:38 am

have you had any body check the timing to see if it has jumped.or go ahead and have the stater checked some times the silinoid can cause act the same way. jut dont get a ford. :beer: :yes:
jal31899
hunter

Previous

Return to Vehicle forum