Duck Hunting Forum banner

4WD question

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  tklikely 
#1 ·
I have an '05 chevy 1500 crew cab. I noticed what I would call a "rubbing" sound from my wheels when 4wd is engaged. Its almost a grinding sound, like maybe bearings are going out or something. I noticed it on the paved icy roads earlier this year when I was using 4 HI. I took it to the dealership and they said it is normal. Is it? They took the truck to the grass and they didn't hear it. They also said that the majority of the new trucks will do it as well and that I should use the AWD instead of 4 HI on pavement. Can anybody shed some light on this subject. The last time I heard this, the bearings on my Ranger were rusted.

#2 ·
yep, sounds like bearings. i know transfer cases do make some sounds while in 4 wheel but from your description it sounds like bearings.

#3 ·
Can you give a little more detail as to exactly when you were hearing the noise? Was it when you were driving in a straight line or turning? If it was when you were turning it could simply be the scrubbing of the tires from driveline bind. Using AWD would eliminate that problem. If it was while driving in a straight line then chances are, like you said, the bearings are going bad.

#4 ·
I'm pretty sure it was while I was driving straight, and I really noticed when I was slowing down coming up to a stop sign (I assumed that was due to less road noise). I'm no mechanic......is there any way to check the bearings myself? Thanks.

#6 ·
if it was a bearing issue it would be constant, not just in 4-wheel drive. on your truck the front cv joints turn all the time and of course the wheel bearings do too. they will definately make some noise if in 4x4 and turning on pavement or hard pack dirt due to the wheel speed difference and this is normal. sometimes you will hear a low tone hum which is also normal as the transfer case is now engaged with the front axle. please elaborate a little more on the noise.

just a side note, you do have the same brand and size tires front and rear correct, even from brand to brand of the same size there can be a difference in tire Dia and this will cause driveline bind and will make some low tone noises. also tire inflation can play a part in this and you will only notice it in 4-wheel drive.

also, get under the truck and try to wiggle the front driveshaft, it will be disengaged and you should be able to turn it and make sure the u-joints are not loose. They have a tendency to rust up

#7 ·
If you're using 4wd on pavement it'll make a noise. You should never use 4wd on pavement. AWD works perfect. Bad CV shafts are going to rattle like hell and really loud. A hub bearing will kind of make a howling sound constantly. Any of the aformentioned parts are very easy to change with basic hand tools. The hubs are a sealed unit held on the spindle by 3 bolts, no pre loading is required. The CV shafts are bolted to a flange that goes into the housing, you can change them without jacking the truck up.

#10 ·
I have an 2003 1500 silverado and my front wheel bearing went out. If its your wheel bearing it will be constant. If you want to check them just jack up the truck, take the tire off, and check the hub assembly for play. it should not move. If that doesn't tell you anything, then grab your cv joints and try to twist them and feel for any binding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.