Pro-Comp tires or not

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Pro-Comp tires or not

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:19 pm

I am replacing the JUNK coopers on my truck, they lasted about 30,000 and are cracking all over.

I am putting on a new set of 265/75-16's and like the coopers and the michelin LTX MS. I just have not used either one in the past. I looked at goodyear and Goodrich, both of which seem to be VERY overpriced and have a lower treadware and traction rating and warranty than the lower priced tires. I am going with an AT tread to save some noise and fuel.

the truck is an 8.1L with allison trans @ about 13mpg and these are Load range E 10ply tires as I haul some heavy equipment with the truck.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3714
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI


Postby tstroud05 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:48 pm

Take a look at Bridgestone tires. I have a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T on my 3/4 ton and they look great, drive smooth, and have about 50,000 miles on them. The tread still looks like it could go another 50,000. They weren't bad priced either. I think I paid $900 for the set. That included everything from lifetime rotation, installation, balanced, And they tightened my torsion bars to level out the front end. So not a bad price. I am tellin you all the other stuff b/c I can't remember the exact price of the tires.
Hey there 'lil fella', ready to meet your maker?
User avatar
tstroud05
hunter
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Wilmington, OH

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:40 pm

I love the cooper tires and never had any trouble. I always ran the stt though. I like the pro comps as well I think Im gonna go with the xtreme mud terrains but like the xtreme all terrains. My buddys got one on his chevy and has gotten very good mileage out of them. I am astonished your getting that kind of mileage in that truck though that is very good compared to others I have heard from.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
User avatar
Smackaduck
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 6201
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:04 pm
Location: Shreveport, Louisiana

Postby devildog28 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:32 pm

I have 50k+ on my BFG AT's and still have plenty of tread left! They still grip the dirt like new too :thumbsup:
User avatar
devildog28
hunter
 
Posts: 2232
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Katy, TX

Postby ajmorell » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:16 am

I'm not a fan at all of ProComp tires. They have notoriously weak sidewalls in comparison to most other tires. If you are looking for an aggressive tire that will get good mileage look at the **** Cepek Radial FC-II. A good friend of mine has a set on his 3/4 ton Duramax and has got great mileage out of them thus far (they are a little over a year old and still look new). If you aren't looking for anything quite that aggressive I wouldn't overlook the BFG A/T. They are a proven tire and my best friends dad has a set of 285/75/16s on his 3/4 Chevy. He is currently on his 2nd set, and I believe he told me he got around 70,000 miles out of his first set on that truck.
Last edited by ajmorell on Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1659
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:56 am

We have had construction crews get tires replaced 2-3 times a year until we sold them BFG Commercial tires. Available in a highway or AT style tread. They seriously take a beating, and well worth the money.



http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/overview/commercial-t-a-traction/48.html
User avatar
bgoldhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 2439
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:46 pm
Location: Missouri

Postby hovey » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:45 am

If you want a good rough all terrain tire look into the dynapro's. I have a lot of friends with them. I have never used pro-comps but have never had trouble with my coopers.
hovey
hunter
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:24 pm
Location: salina, ks

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:47 pm

the coopers I have are the discover ST an they chopped out worse than the Interco Radial swampers I had on my previous truck, they also do not handle heavy loads well and like to wander when loaded good even though they are load range D rated. they now have just over 30k and are down past the ware bars and 2 have seperated belts in the sidewalls.

I have to visit a couple more tire stores and check prices. so far I have heard the best customer satisfaction from Michelin in the LTX series load range E. Having great tread life. this truck is mostly on the road and I have a set of 4 tire chains in the back if the going gets rough.

Thanks for all the comments I am going to look at the BFG's again but they are usually around $225 each here. I am planning to trade in on a Diesel next spring so I do not want to spend more than I have to right now.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3714
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI

Postby dx1187 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:44 am

Just got done with a set of Pro Comp Extreme MT's and didn't care for them at all. Good luck.
User avatar
dx1187
hunter
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:50 am
Location: THE DUCK BLIND. LAKE FORK, TX

Postby 919QuackerStacker » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:13 am

not a real big fan of pro comp tire the x terrain does ok off road... i have heard alot of stories of the tread seperating with heavy loads on the pro comp at's. the bfg is about the only way to go if u want just a roundabout at tire not to aggresive but aggersive enough to get the job done
shoot first ask questions later
919QuackerStacker
hunter
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:24 am
Location: nc

Postby Grant48 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:42 am

As far as "all terrain" tires go, you cant beat the BFG's. I've had 4 sets of them on two different trucks, and all have been great. The sizes I've had are: 265/75-16, 285/75-16, 315/75-16 and 265/70-17. I also had a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers in 305/70-16, and they were good tires too.

As much as I like BFG AT's, I'm going with mud terrains this next time around. I'll probably get Maxxis Buckshot Mudders, because they're available in a relatively unique size, 305/70-17. Should just barely fit under my '05 Silverado Z71 without the need for a lift kit or aftermarket wheels.
User avatar
Grant48
hunter
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:27 pm
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Postby ajmorell » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:46 pm

Grant48 wrote:As far as "all terrain" tires go, you cant beat the BFG's. I've had 4 sets of them on two different trucks, and all have been great. The sizes I've had are: 265/75-16, 285/75-16, 315/75-16 and 265/70-17. I also had a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers in 305/70-16, and they were good tires too.

As much as I like BFG AT's, I'm going with mud terrains this next time around. I'll probably get Maxxis Buckshot Mudders, because they're available in a relatively unique size, 305/70-17. Should just barely fit under my '05 Silverado Z71 without the need for a lift kit or aftermarket wheels.


I think you'd be awful lucky to fit that size with no lift. That is a 34" tall tire. You'd be better off with a 285/70/17, and if you do go with the Maxxis' get the Bighorns instead, they are a much better tire :thumbsup:
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1659
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Postby CALL EM & CUT EM » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:25 am

tstroud05 wrote:Take a look at Bridgestone tires. I have a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T on my 3/4 ton and they look great, drive smooth, and have about 50,000 miles on them. The tread still looks like it could go another 50,000. They weren't bad priced either. I think I paid $900 for the set. That included everything from lifetime rotation, installation, balanced, And they tightened my torsion bars to level out the front end. So not a bad price. I am tellin you all the other stuff b/c I can't remember the exact price of the tires.


AGREE 100%. VERY GOOD RIDING LONG LASTING TIRE AT A GOOD PRICE. WE HAUL HEAVY LOADS AS WELL AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. GOT ABOUT 48000 ON THEM AND STILL LOOK DAMN NEAR NEW
TRIGGER HAPPY
User avatar
CALL EM & CUT EM
hunter
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:17 am
Location: DORCHESTER COUNTY,MD

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:29 am

Grant48 wrote:As much as I like BFG AT's, I'm going with mud terrains this next time around. I'll probably get Maxxis Buckshot Mudders, because they're available in a relatively unique size, 305/70-17. Should just barely fit under my '05 Silverado Z71 without the need for a lift kit or aftermarket wheels.


they might fit but you will not be able to make a turn. they will rub the rear inner fender well and if pulling in a drive or turning while flexing the suspension they will tear up the front inner fender well too. they are a bit too wide for the height to fit without rubbing.

and on the wheel thing, I think the 305's are made for an 8.5" to 9" wheel and yours are 8" I believe which will make the tire a bit taller in the center.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3714
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI

Postby Grant48 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:58 am

ajmorell wrote:I think you'd be awful lucky to fit that size with no lift. That is a 34" tall tire. You'd be better off with a 285/70/17, and if you do go with the Maxxis' get the Bighorns instead, they are a much better tire :thumbsup:


waterfowlhunter wrote:they might fit but you will not be able to make a turn. they will rub the rear inner fender well and if pulling in a drive or turning while flexing the suspension they will tear up the front inner fender well too. they are a bit too wide for the height to fit without rubbing.


:hijacked:

Already taken these issues into consideration. I know several people that run them. On stock wheels (17x7, 5" backspacing), it can be done successfully with very little trimming of the wheelwells... with no rubbing off-road (much less on-road). As for tire width on the stock wheels causing tire bulge, making the center tread wear faster... I dont really care, since I rarely keep tires more than 20-25k miles anyway. Not because they're worn, but because I am tired of them by that point. :thumbsup: :biggrin:
User avatar
Grant48
hunter
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:27 pm
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Postby ajmorell » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:23 am

Grant48 wrote:
ajmorell wrote:I think you'd be awful lucky to fit that size with no lift. That is a 34" tall tire. You'd be better off with a 285/70/17, and if you do go with the Maxxis' get the Bighorns instead, they are a much better tire :thumbsup:


waterfowlhunter wrote:they might fit but you will not be able to make a turn. they will rub the rear inner fender well and if pulling in a drive or turning while flexing the suspension they will tear up the front inner fender well too. they are a bit too wide for the height to fit without rubbing.


:hijacked:

Already taken these issues into consideration. I know several people that run them. On stock wheels (17x7, 5" backspacing), it can be done successfully with very little trimming of the wheelwells... with no rubbing off-road (much less on-road). As for tire width on the stock wheels causing tire bulge, making the center tread wear faster... I dont really care, since I rarely keep tires more than 20-25k miles anyway. Not because they're worn, but because I am tired of them by that point. :thumbsup: :biggrin:



The wear shouldn't be a problem, you just need to find the right pressure to get an even footprint
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1659
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM


Return to Vehicle forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest