Best Mud Tires?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Best Mud Tires?

Postby MO Waterfowl » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:04 pm

Which company makes the best mud tires? On the basis of wear, value, and ability.
MO Waterfowl
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:27 pm

My favorite by far are BFG Mud Terrains. They do not offer the greatest ability. But they don't cost as much as some others, offer a good ride with minimal noise, and last pretty well.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:15 am

fowl_wishes wrote:My favorite by far are BFG Mud Terrains. They do not offer the greatest ability. But they don't cost as much as some others, offer a good ride with minimal noise, and last pretty well.

Ehh, not sure. BFGs are just as much as most others...but they do have their benefits. Hands down they wear the best...at least the old tread pattern and compound, which won't be available for much longer.

If you want the tires with the most capability look at some Super Swampers, either the TSL Radials, SSRs or Trxus MTs. Basically you have to decide what you want, there are trade-offs. A tire with a softer compound will do better offroad, but won't wear as well on the road.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:11 pm

The best mud tire is the swamper tsl for sure but not the radial. However they dont like concrete so If its mud tire your wanting I like the tsl. However if you really want a good one and intend on doing no road driving the thornbirds with every other tooth cut out work really well. :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:16 am

smackaduck wrote:The best mud tire is the swamper tsl for sure but not the radial. However they dont like concrete so If its mud tire your wanting I like the tsl. However if you really want a good one and intend on doing no road driving the thornbirds with every other tooth cut out work really well. :thumbsup:

Well, if you are going to start talking about bias ply tires then clearly the best mud tires are boggers. But I have yet to see a bias ply tire that is road friendly and lasts very long. Even TSL Radials IMO are a bit too aggressive for the road.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby hoax23 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:44 am

I have the Pro Comp Xterrains and love them. Pretty much get me through anything.
hoax23
Newb

Postby Ramsey84 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:14 am

I love my BFG Mud Terrains. Last really well for a mud tire, and I have not had any problems getting where I wanted to go with these.

Ramsey84
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:26 pm

ajmorell wrote:
smackaduck wrote:The best mud tire is the swamper tsl for sure but not the radial. However they dont like concrete so If its mud tire your wanting I like the tsl. However if you really want a good one and intend on doing no road driving the thornbirds with every other tooth cut out work really well. :thumbsup:

Well, if you are going to start talking about bias ply tires then clearly the best mud tires are boggers. But I have yet to see a bias ply tire that is road friendly and lasts very long. Even TSL Radials IMO are a bit too aggressive for the road.

I had bias ply swampers on my toyota and even as light as it was you could almost see the tread wither away. When you got out and touched the tires they were hot the rubbers so soft but a really good tire.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby MO Waterfowl » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:43 pm

What im really looking for is something that will not wear real fast on the road and perform good in the plowed fields. Also its got to be able to withstand heavy loads. Ex: tractor on trailer, boat etc. I want something that is decently priced also.
MO Waterfowl
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:55 am

MO Waterfowl wrote:What im really looking for is something that will not wear real fast on the road and perform good in the plowed fields. Also its got to be able to withstand heavy loads. Ex: tractor on trailer, boat etc. I want something that is decently priced also.

If you can find a set of the old style BFGs with the original tread design those are your best bet. You are going to want something with at least a load rating of D for towing heavy loads, probably E rating.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:39 am

Sport kings are a nice set of rubbers
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:17 am

LaRedneck wrote:Sport kings are a nice set of rubbers

Yep, those rarely get mentioned. They are made by BFG I believe and have heard of people getting exceptional wear out of them as well.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby GADuckaholic » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:45 am

I just put a set of Dayton Timberline MT's on my 03 Sierra Z71. They look awesome and so far perform great! They didn't set me back $1200 either...I think I paid $800, mounted and balanced for 285/75/16's.
GADuckaholic
hunter

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:22 pm

not to much of a mud tire but i have cooper sts on my gms really good tire never have gotten stuck
waterfowler20 wrote:
getemducks wrote:I am new to this but I think what you have there is a duck. :huh:

Are you crazy! That ain't no duck, thats one of'dem cackler gooses! :hi:
TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:58 am

I just went thru this whole issue,

One of my trucks 98 silverado 2500 had interco super swamper radials 265/80-16 (tall skinny tires) and they were siped. they were great in the mud and fields and handled the road great too even on icy and wet conditions. the drawback is that they are VERY noisy and only good for about 30,000 miles and then they are shot. I could not comment on fuel economy as this was a 454 and is in the 13mpg range all the time.

98 with swampers

the goodyears are not that great on icy roads due to the harder tread compound but work good in the dirt and mud and last a long time. My dads MT's have over 50,000 on them and are still good for this year.

My 01 HD with cooper ST's

I did a lot of research and found that the **** Cepek MT's (now owned by Micky thompson) get the best OVERALL ratings for off road and on road performance in both mud and icy conditions and wear very well. I planned on putting these on my truck but at $200 each I decided on Toyo's which also have a great rating. they also have a 500 mile try it warranty. if you do not like them than they will refund your full purchase price and you can go with something different.

The Toyo's so far have impressed me, Better gas milage but a rougher ride (10 ply load range E). with my coopers and the 8.1l engine just taking off from a corner on gravel they would slip quite a bit. these toyos seem to grip a LOT better with no slippage. only time will tell if I made a good choice.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Anser albifrons » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:32 pm

i had GREAT luck with my maxxis buckshot mudders. i ran them on my 1 ton 4x4 dodge for about 33,000 miles. still had some tread left; not much, but werent bald, either. i believe they were a 305/70/17. they were quieter than any other mud tire i have run (boggers on jeep, tsl sx, thornbirds, and now cooper discoverer stt). i have nothing BUT GOOD to say about the buckshots. and, being on a 1 ton with a cummins (heavy ass motor) they did perform well in mud. buckshots are fairly inexpensive when you start comparing them to other mud tires. hope this helps!
Anser albifrons
hunter

Postby delbay » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:16 pm

I run Goodyear MTR's (305/75/16) on my F350 and they wear well (50K miles) and aren't noisy at all.
No man on his death bed ever said "I wish I'd spent more time at work" -unless he was a waterfowl guide
delbay
hunter

Postby MO Waterfowl » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:02 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:I just went thru this whole issue,

One of my trucks 98 silverado 2500 had interco super swamper radials 265/80-16 (tall skinny tires) and they were siped. they were great in the mud and fields and handled the road great too even on icy and wet conditions. the drawback is that they are VERY noisy and only good for about 30,000 miles and then they are shot. I could not comment on fuel economy as this was a 454 and is in the 13mpg range all the time.

98 with swampers

the goodyears are not that great on icy roads due to the harder tread compound but work good in the dirt and mud and last a long time. My dads MT's have over 50,000 on them and are still good for this year.

My 01 HD with cooper ST's

I did a lot of research and found that the **** Cepek MT's (now owned by Micky thompson) get the best OVERALL ratings for off road and on road performance in both mud and icy conditions and wear very well. I planned on putting these on my truck but at $200 each I decided on Toyo's which also have a great rating. they also have a 500 mile try it warranty. if you do not like them than they will refund your full purchase price and you can go with something different.

The Toyo's so far have impressed me, Better gas milage but a rougher ride (10 ply load range E). with my coopers and the 8.1l engine just taking off from a corner on gravel they would slip quite a bit. these toyos seem to grip a LOT better with no slippage. only time will tell if I made a good choice.

Thanks every one for your imput! Hey waterfowlhunter what was the model of toyo tires you were running?
MO Waterfowl
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:18 am

Open Country, They are knid of a more agressive AT. so far they get me where I need to go.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby RatherBhunting » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:55 pm

Pro-Comp xterrains for all around
RatherBhunting
hunter

Postby dx1187 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:42 am

I prefer Super Swamper Boggers or Tsl LTB's. However, you said you wanted to get some life out of your tire.....Toyo MT's, Maxxis Buckshots, Federal Couragia MT, BFG MT, Cooper STT (new tread).
dx1187
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:12 am

I just remembered I had a set of Baja Claws on my old truck and they lastes for a good while and where excellent in the mud. The bigger the better though like 36 and up. Smaller size you can't beat the super swampers.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby carlschmarl2 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:07 am

When I was looking at new tires I was torn between the new BFG KM'2 and the Toyo M/T's. I opted for the Toyo's. They are a bit more expensive but they have a higher load rating (E) and better sidewall strength. I think I made the right choice. They are the quietest mud tires I have ever had. They wear evenly and they hold a balance well...granted I've only had them for about 5 thousand miles now. But they still look good.

EDIT: SORRY IF THE PICS ARE LARGE BUT I THOUGHT IT WOULD GIVE A BETTER VIEW OF THE TIRES.

CARL
"Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium"
carlschmarl2
hunter

Postby dx1187 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:20 am

Good lookin' truck you've got there!! :thumbsup:
dx1187
hunter

Postby CALL EM & CUT EM » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:32 am

hoax23 wrote:I have the Pro Comp Xterrains and love them. Pretty much get me through anything.

I HAD A SET OF THESE TIRES AND THEY DID VERY WELL OFFROAD. THEY WORE OK ONROAD. I HAVE BUCKSHOT MAXXIS MUDDERS ON MY TRUCK NOW AND THEY HAVE BEEN A PRETTY GOOD TIRE ESPECIALLY FOR THE PRICE ALTHOUGH I THINK THEY HAVE JUST GONE UP SOME. I HATE LOOKING AT THE PRICE OF TIRES THESE DAYS ANYWAY!!!!
TRIGGER HAPPY
CALL EM & CUT EM
hunter

Next

Return to Vehicle forum