Trailer light question!

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Trailer light question!

Postby Goosekiller06 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:34 pm

Ok guys so heres the deal. On my enclosed I want to mount flood lights on the roof. Nothing too big just like fog lights, or KC lights. So my question is how do I go about wiring them up to the trailer lights so that they will come on. My trailer has interior lighting with a switch on the wall. Can I tap into that wire line after the switch so that when I flip the switch for the interior lights it will also engage the lights on the roof? That is what I would like to do rather than using 2 switches. Does anyone see a problem doing it this way?! Thanks in advance guys. GK
GET YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF MY BANGSTICK!
08/09 Season Totals
Snipe-5
Shovler-1
Geese-11
Mallards-2
Greenwings-1
Bluewings-3
Pintails-
Gadwall-17
RedHeads-
Widgeon-6
Woodies-7
Goosekiller06
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:50 pm

The interior lights draw power from the trailer hitch plug, and i would think that tapping into that line would draw to much. What you may have to do for 12v fog lights would be run wires from your battery or fuse box to the same spot that the trailer lights plug in and have a plug for the fog lights

Just a word of advise, do it right the first time so you dont have to do it again
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby swampwise » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:54 pm

im assuming you want to mount them facing backwards...

i did this to my bronco. i bought a couple of cheapo's from walmart (theres nothing wrong with walmart) and mounted them on the top lip of the tailgate. when i ran the wiring, i tracked down the wire that goes to the reverse lights (little white ones that come on when you shift into reverse) and just tapped each accesory light separately to the reverse lights so the acc. lights were pretty much just an extension of the factory reverse lights, just mounted much higher so i could see past my duck boat while i backed it into the river.

under most circumstances, this worked just fine, however do consider how much you back up in every day traffic on the road. it could make somebody mad if they got an eyeful of accesory lights. those things tend to be bright! :eek:
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Postby swampwise » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:55 pm

scratch that. i thought you were talking about a truck. my bad :oops:
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:26 am

The easiest and best way to do it is to set up an internal power supply in your trailer. I made a little box in the front of my trailer to hold a car battery and I run 4 flood lights off of it. Once you get the lights where you want them, u just run the wiring to the battery. You can chose whether or not to put another switch in it.
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Postby Goosekiller06 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:11 pm

I dont want to have to keep recharging the battery. That was why i was wanting to tap into existing lights
GET YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF MY BANGSTICK!
08/09 Season Totals
Snipe-5
Shovler-1
Geese-11
Mallards-2
Greenwings-1
Bluewings-3
Pintails-
Gadwall-17
RedHeads-
Widgeon-6
Woodies-7
Goosekiller06
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:37 pm

I don't forsee a problem as long as you run big enough wire. I would do what others have suggested and run separate wiring through a relay and switch in the truck and then through a plug at the trailer.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:23 pm

shoot-n-goose wrote:The interior lights draw power from the trailer hitch plug, and i would think that tapping into that line would draw to much. What you may have to do for 12v fog lights would be run wires from your battery or fuse box to the same spot that the trailer lights plug in and have a plug for the fog lights

Just a word of advise, do it right the first time so you dont have to do it again

DITTO
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum