Decoy trailer

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Decoy trailer

Postby duck slayer02 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:07 pm

I'm looking at getting a decoy trailer. I'll be using a Dodge dakota to pull it. How big can i go? I'd like all the extra room that i could get, but i still want to be able to pull it. How big could I go?
"Stephens Waterfowling"
duck slayer02
hunter

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:12 pm

As long as your not under a lot of weight you could go pretty big.... The only problem with going bigger is they somtimes have breaks on the axle (s) and assuming you dakota dosnt have a break system... you could get pulled over and somthing could happen there...

We have a 14 1/2 trailor that we are going to pull with a jeep... no weight no problems.. the one problem is no breaks for the jeep and breaks for the trailor
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby ohsay » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:14 pm

How do you mean? Weight, length, ?? It really depends on your model dakota, and your hitch setup. I friend has an '06 and can haul our largest decoy trailer (18 feet, about 1,500-2,000 lbs loaded) like nothing.
say what?
ohsay
hunter

Postby duck slayer02 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:49 pm

I'm not sure on the hitch, because I'm going to be buying it in a couple weeks. I'm just turning 16 and we dont have enough room for all our gear, so I'm looking at getting a trailer for it all. I'm just trying to get an idea of how big of a trailer i can pull. Im not sure how much it can pull weight wise, but how much do your guys' trailers weigh fully loaded? I was thinking a 6X12 or something around there, but I'm not sure how much it would weigh.
"Stephens Waterfowling"
duck slayer02
hunter

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:55 pm

Oh, 6 X 12 would be fine for that, double axle.... yes :thumbsup: .. your dakota is probley rated for 5000 pounds, so dont go hauling cows....

I even asked my farther and he says its perfect.... and his job is driving a 1 ton dodge with trailors... so he knows what he is doing..
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby duck slayer02 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:29 pm

So where could I find a cheap 6X12? I'm still in school so I'm on a tight budget. I've looked in our local newspaper and on ebay, but I havent found any good deals. Where else should I look?

David
"Stephens Waterfowling"
duck slayer02
hunter

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:40 pm

well funny enough I am in the same situation as you... but I need one with heavy axles for seed hauling... I am looking into H&S trailers... they are horse trailers but they are cheap!!! They have all sizes and have Barn doors on the back... some even have side doors......

Auctions....ebay (not recomended)....farms.....
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby duck slayer02 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:19 am

I'd prefer to have a side door, but is it worth the extra hundred dollars or so to get the ramp door on the back or the V-nose?

David
"Stephens Waterfowling"
duck slayer02
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:55 am

your local home depot oughta have some trailers, and if you got a lowes there check that too.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:19 am

You never stated receiver hitch or bumber hitch? Bumber hitches typically do not go high in the tounge loads.

And realistically, if you are just halling decoys. Your not adding much weight at all to the tongue load of any trailer, exspecially if you have a double axle trailer.

If the trailer is rated for 3000 lbs ussualy it requires brakes, either electric or hydrolic.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:25 am

duck slayer02 wrote:I'd prefer to have a side door, but is it worth the extra hundred dollars or so to get the ramp door on the back or the V-nose?

David

It really doesnt matter... we cant get a ramp door because we need to get up to the end with a Fork Lift..I dont think that the door really matter unless you are going to put somthing you cant lift.....ramp doors you can, well, ramp something up the door.
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum