need serious opinions on '04-'06 Ford F-150

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

need serious opinions on '04-'06 Ford F-150

Postby Montanafowler » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:41 pm

hey all, i just came into some serious cash and need to buy a new truck so i can move to montana this spring. i am looking at 2004-2006(maybe even '07?) Ford F-150s. i like the looks of them so i want to know the opinions of owners. i would like to know your thoughts on the following:

Powerplant:

Suspension:

Handling:

Towing:

4X4:

Exterior:

Interior:

Comfort:

Bed Capability (would like to have a tool box on the bed.):

Storage (Interior)

Controls:

anything else you can think of. i seriously need a truck ASAP. Thanks.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby devildog28 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:16 pm

My experience of Fords is mixed. The power of the 4.6 leaves something to be desired. The 5.4 is a much better bet, but even that isn't as powerful as a GM 5.3. the 5.3 gets more mpg on top of being more powerful. On the upside the interiors while somewhat plain have come a long ways in the last several years. 4WD systems are decent. The tool box space is amazing, but it's difficult to get anything out from the side.

I've driven both GM and Ford trucks off road and if you strictly look at offroad and mechanical ability GM is better. Chevy's also have multi cylinder displacement option which improves mileage.

Hope you don't take this a another ford vs chevy contest. Buying a vehicle is a big decision so I wanted to give you a honest opinion.
devildog28
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:20 pm

no not at all, i looked at ford, dodge and chevy. my dad has a new dodge but they are out of my price range as far as i can tell. i looked at the chevies but i found them to all be the same basically. thanks for your opinions. :thumbsup:

also, i am used to a 40 year old 5.9 liter that can smoke anything on the road, so every modern engine is a step down for me.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Re: need serious opinions on '04-'06 Ford F-150

Postby fowl_wishes » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:33 am

idahofowler wrote:hey all, i just came into some serious cash and need to buy a new truck so i can move to montana this spring. i am looking at 2004-2006(maybe even '07?) Ford F-150s. i like the looks of them so i want to know the opinions of owners. i would like to know your thoughts on the following:

Powerplant:Overcomplicated design that is crammed intot he engine compartment. With the DUMBEST design for a spark plug I have ever seen. Decent power, but nothing to start a parade about. Not the est gas mileage int eh world.

Suspension: Rides decent with the coil over and outboard shocks.

Handling:It's a truck..

Towing:Unless you get the lowest gear ration in a 2WD for the max towing capacity, it is on par with everyone else

4X4:It works.

Exterior: Looks good. Seems to hold up well.

Interior: Still a ford interior that looks cheaper than other makes. But it holds up well and offers good leg room and storage.

Comfort: See Above

Bed Capability (would like to have a tool box on the bed.): If you get the 4 door model, the bed is almost non-existent with a toolbox in the back.

Storage (Interior) doors, glove box, center consol where applicable, under seats.

anything else you can think of. i seriously need a truck ASAP. Thanks.

Dont think i am bashing Ford. I drive one. Have driven all fords since i had my license. But my next truck will be a Chevrolet. I just do not like some of the "improvements" that Ford has done. Mainly the spark plugs int eh engine. I do not want to worry about spending $500-$1000 on a tune up!
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:37 am

what design did they use on the spark plugs?
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:14 am

The use a spark plug with a long shank on it. The shank fits intot he block. Carbon builds up aroudnt his shank. That leads to it being REALLY easy to breakt he plug off int eh block.
Not to mention the factory plugs are crimped together rather than one piece. Terrible design.

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby devildog28 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:03 pm

fowl_wishes wrote:The use a spark plug with a long shank on it. The shank fits intot he block. Carbon builds up aroudnt his shank. That leads to it being REALLY easy to breakt he plug off int eh block.
Not to mention the factory plugs are crimped together rather than one piece. Terrible design.

I can change mine out on my Chevy in under 30 min. :thumbsup:

Any maintainence outside of an oil change is a pain for fords. I guess they're trying to keep job security in the service department.
devildog28
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:35 pm

devildog28 wrote:
fowl_wishes wrote:The use a spark plug with a long shank on it. The shank fits intot he block. Carbon builds up aroudnt his shank. That leads to it being REALLY easy to breakt he plug off int eh block.

I can change mine out on my Chevy in under 30 min. :thumbsup:

Any maintainence outside of an oil change is a pain for fords. I guess they're trying to keep job security in the service department.
:dito: :soapbox: :dito:

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:24 pm

devildog28 wrote:I can change mine out on my Chevy in under 30 min. :thumbsup:

QFT. I've always been a fan of Ford trucks, but any work I've EVER done on a GM has been easier than it's Ford counterpart.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Higgins » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:20 pm

aint a ford man but i got an 03 fx4 for $5,500 and i likes it alot i couldnt refuse the price....but if i got into some serious money i would be lookin at the new silverado
Higgins
hunter

Postby hillman raider » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:38 pm

You get your truck? :biggrin:
hillman raider
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:03 pm

no, and i'm limited to a dodge 1500 anyway.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:02 am

idahofowler wrote:no, and i'm limited to a dodge 1500 anyway.
:huh:

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:57 pm

my uncle gave me money to buy a new truck, but has set so many regulations on what i can get, that i can't even buy anything i want. not that it matters, because he won't even answer my phone calls to approve the trucks i find. :mad:
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby CallinForTheFall » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:37 pm

I just bought a 04' ford v10 and i love it to death, i think its the best truck i have ever owned but anyhow to answer your question i test drove a 05 f150 with the 5.4 liter an it has some pretty good get up behind it for a half ton pickup. I know it can tow up to 8,000 lbs and ford carries a pretty good warranty with their trucks as well. I was a dodge man for many of yrs but now i am a ford man and dont see myself switching back anytime soon. Btw the ford f150 had about 30,000 miles on it an they wanted $15,000 for it at the dealership with a warranty so i hope that helps you out somewhat. But if it was me i would go with the v10 like i did cuz its a hell of a truck an for a pretty good price as well.
I should be a banker because im reall good at stackin the bills.
CallinForTheFall
hunter

Postby CallinForTheFall » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:46 pm

I forgot to add this on my last post but the 5.4 liter can get upwards to 22 miles a gallon. The back seats will fold up so you can use that as storage. They come with cloth or leather seats depending on which model you choose. You have a 6 foot bed so its like any short bed out there so i wouldnt recommend a tool box in the bed. It comes with a 60,000 mile engine an powertrain warranty from ford than whatever the dealer offers as well. They are actually pretty roomy on the inside an very comfortable as well. and last but not least they are the best selling truck in america for three yrs runnin.
I should be a banker because im reall good at stackin the bills.
CallinForTheFall
hunter

Postby TNmatt83 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:14 pm

I've got an 05 F150 and so far i love it. I got it with 30K miles on it and I've put 45K on it without 1 problem. Mine has the 4.6 which lacks a little bit of power but it pulls my boat just fine and i've used it to pull my friend's ski boat several times without any issues. I wish i had the 5.4 but I didn't have the money at the time. The ford 5.4 and the chevy 5.3 are pretty equal in my opinion but the ford 4.6 isnt as strong as the chevy 4.8. I like the silverados alot and have nothing against them at all i just like fords better. Somebody said the interior was cheaper built which i don't really understand, I've got 3 buddies who drive late model chevys and all three have had problems with interior stuff falling apart. You're gonna find people will love every brand and people who hate every brand. I don't think you can go wrong with either the f150 or silverado, i think they're both great trucks. I don't know a whole lot about the dodges but i've had friends whove had bad experiences with them that kind of turned me off a little. But that's just my limited experience and you may love them. Good luck with the search
TNmatt83
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:38 pm

hey guys, i bought an '03 dodge 1500 today, i pick it up tomorrow. it's got some big ol mud grips on it and a shell, i'll probably ditch the shell.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby TNmatt83 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:16 pm

Congratulations! You might end up liking the shell, i wish i had one, they make a real good place to camp in when it's cold or rainy!
TNmatt83
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:44 pm

here she is, top comes off tomorrow. i'll keep it for when i move.

Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:48 pm

I've wanted a shell during duck season to keep everything out of the weather until we get there.

Be nice to put the dog, waders, and gun back there and not worry about anything. Also be nice if you have to stop on the way home.

Would have to pull it for about anything else, though.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:56 pm

i always put my stuff in the cab, if it can get wet it goes in the bed. the only reason i'm keeping it is because i have at least a nine hour drive to montana the first week of january for college and all my stuff is going with me, basically all my hunting and fishing gear.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum