help! 08 duramax

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

help! 08 duramax

Postby hondarancher » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:30 am

hey guys thinking about getting a new duramax and was wondering if anyone had one and what kind of fuel mileage you get??? ket me know, thanks
Dakota Decoy Field Staff
CUTDOWN CREW
hondarancher
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:54 am

I'm not sure if the 08's are pre-DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) or not. I know all of the new diesels have DPFs and I have heard that they do rob some mileage and power. If the 2008 is equipped with a DPF I would look for a 2007.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby hovey » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:27 pm

All 08 are DPF. That is when the new EPA regulations came out, and again in 2010. Can't wait to see what they do to em next. I like the ol' 12 valve cummins.
hovey
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:14 pm

hovey wrote:All 08 are DPF. That is when the new EPA regulations came out, and again in 2010. Can't wait to see what they do to em next. I like the ol' 12 valve cummins.

Yeah, the DPF robs a good amount of power and mileage from what I have read. I have heard from various people though that the new(er) engines (6.4 Powerstroke & 6.7 Cummins) make insane amounts of power by deleting the DPF and adding a programmer.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Anser albifrons » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:57 pm

ajmorell wrote:Yeah, the DPF robs a good amount of power and mileage from what I have read. I have heard from various people though that the new(er) engines (6.4 Powerstroke & 6.7 Cummins) make insane amounts of power by deleting the DPF and adding a programmer.

this is true. if you live in a state that does not require emissions testing, you can do the DPF delete and that alone will improve your mileage greatly.
~ BJ Duplechain
Anser albifrons
hunter

Postby hovey » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:32 pm

As long as you do the delete correctly. Remember you get what you pay for!!! They finally did the comparison between the 5.9 24 valve and the 6.7 in diesel power. I suggest reading this article, it is pretty impressive.
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/dodg ... index.html
hovey
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:54 am

Thats hard to believe cause Ive ran some stock 6.7s against my 5.9 with intake exhaust and smarty on 5 and didnt just completly smoke them. I won but didnt leave them in my dust.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby CALL EM & CUT EM » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:20 am

MY COUSIN HAS AN 07 WITH A SUPERCHIP AND EXHAUST AND HE CAN GET 27-29 MPG HIGHWAY AND 16-20 PULLING A 18FT LANDSCAPING TRAILER. MY DAD HAS AN 05 COMPLETELY STOCK AND IS GETTING ON AVERAGE 25MPG HIGHWAY.
TRIGGER HAPPY
CALL EM & CUT EM
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:34 am

You should get them to hand calculate their mileage and Im sure youd be quite surprised how far off the overhead is. :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby CALL EM & CUT EM » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:23 pm

THAT IS HAND CALCULATION BECAUSE THEY COULDNT BELIEVE WHAT THE TRUCK WAS TELLING THEM SO THEY DID IT ON PAPER TO CHECK. THATS ALSO DRIVING AT 50-55MPH WHIH MAKES A BIG DIIFFERENCE.
TRIGGER HAPPY
CALL EM & CUT EM
hunter

Postby Pacific Fisher » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:15 pm

Those mileage figures are way, way, way over any I have heard for any newer diesal, other than maybe some of the early Cummins diesel, manual tranny pick ups. :rolleyes:
Pacific Fisher
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:43 pm

I am looking at an 08 duramax myself. My neighbor and his son both bought new ones the end of last year. They were both getting close to 16mpg until they hit aroung 5k to 6k on the odometer. They both are saying that the "hand figured" MPG is around 25mpg now. Both are 4 door one is a short bed and one a long bed and no real difference in milage. both are also on 285 series Highway tires too, not the same brand but strictly highway non agressive treads.

I have an HD with the 8.1L and the 13 to 14 mpg really SUCKS. I am also considering keeping it for my towing needs and waiting for the new 1500hd with the v6 diesel that should be out the end of next year. I have read that it will be closing in on 30mpg. :biggrin:

anyone remember the diesel Chevette :yes: a buddy had one, $5 would last us a month back in the early 80's :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum