ranger lift kit

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

ranger lift kit

Postby fishon!! » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:08 pm

i've been wanting to get my ranger lifted, and put new rims and tires on it. i think i want a suspension lift, about 5 inches. not sure yet about the rims and tires, i'll worry about those after the lift. where do i start with buying lifts. it'll be a while before i got money, hunting season comes first. what do you all suggest, suspension or body? what brand and where from?
oh, it's a 2003, 2.3 liter, 2 wheel drive.

thanks
save your confederate dollars, cause the south will rise again!!
fishon!!
hunter

Postby ugly ford » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:43 pm

oh, it's a 2003, 2.3 liter, 2 wheel drive.

first i gotta ask why are you lifting a 2 wheel drive? and to answer your other questions, i would go with a split between body and suspension lift. go three body and three suspension. this makes the truck look even. if you got all body then you get that huge gap between the body and frame. if you even them out it looks better. just remember with a lift your center of gravity goes up and you are more likely to tip if you don't watch it with that smaller wheel base. just my 2 cents
if you can read this thank a teacher, if you can read this in english thank a veteran.

MIA POW YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTIN

there is nothing more deadly then a MARINE and his rifle!
ugly ford
hunter

Postby CountryboyNC » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:26 pm

here is the deal man, i have had a couple lifted rangers, 2wd and 4wd. imho go with suspension. if i was you i would go ahead and do 6. with a 6 you can fit 33x12.5 tires but you have to consider thats going to kill your motor and tranny, that 4 cylinder is gonna be screaming. if you lift it and go any bigger your going to have to regear. if you need any help with it pm me or check out ranger-forums.com
Livin' Life to it's Fullest...
CountryboyNC
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:15 pm

If it were me, unless I had a really good reason to lift a 2wd vehicle (regardless of the vehicle) I wouldn't do it.....it just doesn't achieve much. I would save the money you were going to spend on the lift and use it to buy a 4wd, 4.0 v6 Ranger - I think you would be much happier in the end.

If you do decide you absolutely want to lift your current Ranger, I agree with Countryboy that you should go all suspension. Body lifts don't achieve anything more than giving you ugly gaps and messed up linkages.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby CountryboyNC » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:31 pm

ditto, body lifts are a pain in the butt to put on also, it stretches every link you got and tretches every tube.
Livin' Life to it's Fullest...
CountryboyNC
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Body lifts suck. Do a suspension lift, but do it right and add some lower gears to that thing as well.

Still don't think I'd be lifting a 4cyl 2wd though...
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby fishon!! » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:56 am

im doin it partly for looks and partly cause im gettin bottom out in sugar sand all the time, and i can't get to some of my hunting spots. i doubt im gonna be able to get much for the truck, so i plan on (over the course of some years) lifting it, putting new rims and tires on it, painting it black, and doing other little designs on it. maybe exhaust i don't know. 4 wheel drive can be put on it, right? it's just a ton more work. i don't know.
fishon!!
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:35 pm

fishon!! wrote:im doin it partly for looks and partly cause im gettin bottom out in sugar sand all the time, and i can't get to some of my hunting spots. i doubt im gonna be able to get much for the truck, so i plan on (over the course of some years) lifting it, putting new rims and tires on it, painting it black, and doing other little designs on it. maybe exhaust i don't know. 4 wheel drive can be put on it, right? it's just a ton more work. i don't know.

If you are going through all that hassle of putting lift, tires, etc on it with the intentions of some day making it 4wd you might as well quit now. In the long run you would spend a ton less money if you sold the Ranger you have and bought a 4wd. All said and done I can guarantee you will have over $10,000 invested in the truck by the time you convert it to 4wd and put all the money into the lift, tires, gears, etc you will need to go with it.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby fishon!! » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:11 pm

ok, i shoulda known that was the best idea. so anyone wanna buy an '03 ranger?
fishon!!
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:52 pm

I want to see it done with Dana 60s with lockers, 5.0L (342 stoker), NV4500, and an Atlas.

Get to welding!
bgoldhunter
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum