?'s

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

?'s

Postby hillman raider » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:44 pm

I have a few questions on a 2008 f-150 regarding aftermarket parts and what not.

1. I want a flowmaster muffler but want something that is still nice sounding with the inside noise being kept to a minimum. Does anyone recommend which particular muffler to get?

2. Does anyone know of a company that makes a bull bar or grill guard that dose not take away the tow hooks?

3. Whats the difference between a switch on the fly 4-wheel drive and a manual 4-wheel drive besides the obvious? Is any one particularly better?

Thanks for the help.
Eric
hillman raider
hunter

Re: ?'s

Postby ajmorell » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:33 pm

hillman raider wrote:I have a few questions on a 2008 f-150 regarding aftermarket parts and what not.

1. I want a flowmaster muffler but want something that is still nice sounding with the inside noise being kept to a minimum. Does anyone recommend which particular muffler to get?

Go with a Flowmaster 70. You'll still get that deep rumble but it won't drone at all.

hillman raider wrote:2. Does anyone know of a company that makes a bull bar or grill guard that dose not take away the tow hooks?

Not sure, you might have to do some searching of different manufacturers to find out.

hillman raider wrote:3. Whats the difference between a switch on the fly 4-wheel drive and a manual 4-wheel drive besides the obvious? Is any one particularly better?

Nothing really other than that the electric "shift on the fly" is electronic whereas the manual is all mechanical. IMHO the manual is a little more reliable but I really haven't heard of many problems from either.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby KCDuckMaster » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:53 pm

Also if it is true shift on the fly you can shift in and out of 4WD while moving. Not all electronic 4WD systems can do this, and no manual system can.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm

KCDuckMaster wrote:Also if it is true shift on the fly you can shift in and out of 4WD while moving. Not all electronic 4WD systems can do this, and no manual system can.

That's not true about the mechanical system. In my Jeep I can shift in and out of 4wd hi from 0-45mph. Most mechanical systems you can typically switch out of 4wd while moving but you typically can't switch into 4wd.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby hillman raider » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:49 pm

On the f-150 it says you can shift into 4wd hi going from 0-55mph but for 4wd low it needs to stop.
hillman raider
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:55 pm

I guess you are right, I guess when I think of manual 4WD I think of manual hubs also
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:50 pm

hillman raider wrote:On the f-150 it says you can shift into 4wd hi going from 0-55mph but for 4wd low it needs to stop.

Yeah things could get pretty ugly if you shifted into 4 low at 55mph.

KCDuckMaster wrote:I guess you are right, I guess when I think of manual 4WD I think of manual hubs also

I don't think Ford even offers manual locking hubs on F150s anymore.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum