tuner for a 2008 duramax?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

tuner for a 2008 duramax?

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:27 am

looking at a new truck with a duramax in it. heard from a freind that the diablosport predator is a good tuner and will get me a few extra mpg, anyone have this setup?
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby ajmorell » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:09 pm

I don't have a lot of experience with diesel tuners and only really know what I've read, but be sure you do your homework. From what I remember there are several tuners out there that don't account for the newer emissions equipment on the 08 up diesels and as a result you will be burning up your DPF (diesel particulate filter) in a hurry (and they aren't cheap). I do know there are guys out there that are running DPF deletes and with a tuner and making some really impressive power on an otherwise stock motor.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:20 pm

Your best bet is to do some lurkin on a duramax forum. I'm still up in the air on what programmer I want. Havn't heard to much about diablo but smarty, adrenaline and edge are the top one's that I know of. Good luck programmers open up a big world for the novice tinker'r.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:40 pm

my brother owns a company called renewegy that does mechatronic engineering and product development and I asked him for advice, his partner uses the diablo on his 2003 duramax and in economy mode gets 22 around town and 26 on the highway. he said the newer duramax may be differnt and I should do my research. I didn't even think of a duramax forum :huh: you know of one? I don't like the thought of being the stupid newbie asking the same old questions but I'll live through it, maybe I'll log on as idahofowler :rofl:
jehler

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:04 pm

I don't know about the '08s, but a few guys I know that are running tuned Duramaxes are running Edge programmers.

Why you would want to go that route is beyond me! :biggrin:

Ran a Diablo in a 2500HD gasser, and wasn't all that impressed with it. Found more power with a custom tune.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:48 am

I would SOOO STAY AWAY from those one size fits all tuners. Your best bet is to do a custom dyno tune. The power gains are minimal compared to what a professional would do with a custom flash of your PCM. Those "programers :rolleyes: " are way overpriced meaning that a better dyno tune would be more power cheaper. :thumbsup:

BEFORE you do any of that I would build a good base for the programming with Cold Air Package, exhaust, etc.. If you tune it without putting those things on first you won't get the full benefit of the tune, and you'll just have to take it back for a retune once those things are added.
devildog28
hunter

Postby jehler » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:46 am

no idea what a custom dyno tune is, educate me :thumbsup:

I am not really looking for more power, the 360 some hp it comes with is more than enough, this truck will be for work and hualing the boats. I am more interested in tuning it down actually for better gas milage. is that possible? the guy who recommended the diablo said he could tune it down for economy and then put it back for towing larger loads. is this a pipe dream or is it possible?
jehler

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:12 am

Just remember when you hear all these guys talking about 22 and upwards of 30 mpg, its not always true. Most guys just read the overhead and say they are getting this or that. Mine is always off, and they say the programmer makes it off even more. The smarty is for the dodge only so I dont know what to reccommend for the chevy. Be sure and hand calculate your mileage before and after so you will know for sure. :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby devildog28 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:13 am

a dyno tune is where your truck is strapped to a chassis dyno and actually ran to see what your PCM is doing under driving conditions. A tech has a computer with tuning software that can make changes in programming to fit your truck. The result is a precise program for the truck. You should check out LS1truck.com. Very good site
devildog28
hunter

Postby jehler » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:05 am

thanks devildog, i have that set up for my optimax outboards, just plug'em in. I will check out the site :thumbsup:
jehler

Postby skycamo » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:47 am

i know this thread is old but im new to the forum. i custom tune duramax trucks for whatever you need them to do... i drive a 600rwhp 2004 duramax everyday
skycamo
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:20 pm

you only tune duramax :sad:

I have a 5.3
devildog28
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:54 am

www.thedieselgarage.com

:thumbsup:

Check with a DPF delete and custom tune for the dpf delete to boost your mileage. Not really all that highway legal though...
supr87gt
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum