ignition switch

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

ignition switch

Postby TNmatt83 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:19 pm

I lost the key to my off road toy last week so i'm thinking about just putting in a switch to turn the car on. Somebody could steal it pretty easy if they wanted to but i figure i can just hide the switch so it looks like it needs a key or something. It's a 87 samurai and I'm pretty sure it should be fairly simple but i was wondering if anyone on here has ever done anything like this. I think i just need to put in one switch for the power and another for the starter and then just essentially hotwire it. My room mate is a mechanic so he's gonna help but just thought i'd see if anyone has ever done this and can foresee any problems.
TNmatt83
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:22 am

The starter is going to pull some amps and possibly get the wire hot so make sure you plan accordingly. I have my street/strip car wired up like that. I guess the best thing to do would be find the wires inside the steering column that are hot when you turn the key to start the car. Make them longer and run them to your momentary switch/button. That would probably be the easiest way.
supr87gt
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum