Duck Hunting Forum banner

Oil

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mallyard 
#1 ·
My friend borrowed my truck yesterday afternoon to haul some limbs out of his yard. He told me he'd make sure it was full of gas when he returned it. Well when he filled it full of gas he decided to check the oil. He noticed it was a bit low and added som Castrol heavy duty SAE 30.. Now I don't know a thing about engines and the such, and I'm not sure he does either.lol.

So I was wondering, was this the wrong kind of oil to add to the truck?
I was under the impression that SAE 30 was for like lawn mowers and the such.. Any help would be appriciated.

/\/\allyard

#4 ·
Mallyard, Yer fine. You can use that stuff for the summer, but it is too heavy for cold weather :thumbsup:

But either way... it isnt gunna hurt a thing to change it anyways. (I change mine like every 2K just cuz I like to :smile: )

-Stouff

#6 ·
Mallyard,

Back when h2ofwlr was startin to use a car instead of the old horse and wagon :laughing: they only had single grade oils. Now days we have multi-grade oils for use in engines but the single grades will still work just that for the newer multi valve and overhead cam systems the multi grades provide faster lubrication to these components as they flow more readily at lower temps. A 5w30 oil will start protecting you engine from wear faster than a 10w30 will. Now as for the adding of the single grade oil to your vehicle it won't hurt it. BTW I work with lubricants every day as that is my main job to maintain the gearboxes and hydraulic systems in our plant, not bad for an electrician/mechanic eh. :laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.