Do I dare say SUV

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Do I dare say SUV

Postby kcduckslayer » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:33 am

All I can say is I need more room. I have had a tacoma got rid of that because I need more room so I bought a f150 got rid of that because of gas prices now I have a ford ranger fx4 level II. Great truck but I need more room and I really don't need a truck bed anymore. I was thinking about getting a explorer, blazer, 4 runner or a pathfinder. I don't want a v8 because of gas prices. I want it to be cheap. I drive around 33,000 miles a year. It seems that blazers and explorer are the cheapest. I found some 4x4 explorer and blazers for around $6000. WHat are your opinions and experiences. I don't want this to be a battle between ford or chevy or import or american.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:15 am

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:10 pm

I drove a blazer for 2 and a half years. Like Bgold said, it seems like they are costly to repair. I'm not a big car guy so I really don't have a whole lot to compare it to.

On the other side, I really didn't have that many repairs to do. I got the vehicle with about 100,000 miles and drove about 25,000 miles a year, so it wasn't just setting around either.

Cheaply made, I would agree with in some aspects. The interior in my new ford is much nicer and built much better, but it really comes down to personal preference.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Robberwood » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:12 pm

Get a 4runner. Good gas milage, will run forever and good off road too. Maybe more expensive then exploder or one of the blazers but will be worth it imo!
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:59 pm

My dad got rid of his F-150 a few years ago then go a explorer It was great he could haul kids around (he's a scoutmaster here in juneau) yet it has enough power to haul our 18 foot skiff no problem the thin is now it has a cracked head (I guess a lot explorers have the same problem) also (some one correct me if I'm wrong) but I belive that a explorer and a ranger have the same engine in them so if you liked your ranger you might want to try a explorer
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:05 pm

All the 4 runners I have seen lately get the mileage of a halfton pickup anyway. What did your F150 get for mileage? 15 in town, 18 on the highway? Sounds almost like toyota mileage????
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:47 pm

My parents had a Explorer, now we have an Expedition. Go with the explorer youll be glad you did. Its got quite a bit of room and I dont remember my parents ever really having problems with it. Its a nice SUV. And the Expedition which i think is pratically the same thing is a pretty good car also.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:25 pm

The most important thing is to be patient. Dont just jump on the first one you see.

Take yer time, yer investing a whole lot of yer own $ into this vehicle... make sure it is what you want :thumbsup:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:24 pm

I averaged 13 to 14 in my f150... It was a 5.4 v8 4x4 extended cab. That is about the mileage they get. IF anyone says different they are crazy. Does anyone know how the explorer and the blazer do off road? I don't go off road much but when I do I go all out. I am either pulling a friend out or going thru some serious stuff.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:38 pm

They should both be "OK" for offroad... not exactly like a truck, but not bad.

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:05 am

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:15 pm

i had a 98 4x4 blazer and it did pretty good. i had a warranty issue with the heater on it but other than that, no problems. one thing to keep in mind about the mid-sized SUV's is a lot of them come with open-differentials which is lacking in the off-road department. i personally don't like that aspect of them. my brother had a 98 explorer 4x4 and it was pretty nice too.

it's gonna come down to personal preference really. to me, the blazers have more bells & whistles. but that's true with all chevys. btw, my z71 silverado has been getting 16mpg city and 18.5-19 hwy mpg. it's a 5.3 v8 4x4 ext cab. i am surprised the ford's don't get that...(no, i am not crazy either... :thumbsup: )
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:45 pm

shrpshtr wrote: btw, my z71 silverado has been getting 16mpg city and 18.5-19 hwy mpg. it's a 5.3 v8 4x4 ext cab. i am surprised the ford's don't get that...(no, i am not crazy either... :thumbsup: )

Yep yep, those 1/2 ton chevy's get as good as mileage as most Toyotas with V6s. :thumbsup:
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:35 pm

kcduckslayer, my blazer actually surprised me offroad. I did some things in it that I didn't think it would ever do. I was 16 at the time I had it, so four wheelin events weren't too uncommon.

One of the main things that kills SUV's off road I think is the ground clearance. They sit so dang low to the ground that half the time when I got stuck with my blazer, it was because soemthing was dragging.

On the plus side, they both have a short wheel base on them, because they are smaller than the full size versions. This does help them out.

As far as just plain mud goes, I know alot of people will probably disagree with this, but I think most trucks are pretty well even. The biggest thing in the mud is mometum. If you can keep your rig rollin then your most likely going to pull out of it.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:17 pm

Thanks for the great info!!! Is it really true about those chevys? I was talkin to a mechanic today and he said that the silverado get around 18.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby gunman » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:04 am

My brother has a GMC version of the blazer, the Jimmy, it has allot of body roll to it, his I think is a '99. The only thing he has had go wrong with it is a fuel pump, and he beats the snot out of that thing! he says good things about its 4x4 capabilities but in high winds in the plains, the body roll is real bad.....he also complain about poor mileage, something in the mid teens....But I think it would be allot better if would pull his foot back threw the floor boards! So that’s my comment, take it for what its worth.....-Chris
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby bubba1 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:08 pm

Here is my two cents.

Had a Blazer, put alot of miles on it, blew the engine. Thought it was a tough little truck, seemed ok off road, not that i did it alot.

Sold that and bought an Explorer. Though I was getting a larger vehicle. To me I think the Blazer had more useable space. Neither can haul a sheet of plywood easlily. Lost the trans last week and traded it in on an Avalanche. Little pricy, bigger engine, but so far has done everything i need it to do. But I will say, harder to pull a trailer with, cann't see it in the rearview mirror.
bubba1
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:23 pm

kcduckslayer wrote:Thanks for the great info!!! Is it really true about those chevys? I was talkin to a mechanic today and he said that the silverado get around 18.

that's about what my pickup gets (03 silverado z71). my 03 z71 tahoe only gets about 14-16 though. if you want an off-road SUV this is the only truck to have....

[siteimg]520[/siteimg]

[siteimg]521[/siteimg]
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:53 pm

I am thinking about buying a tahoe in the spring. We'll just have to see. Thanks very much on the in put
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:02 pm

well i got my self a 98 4dr blazer LT, because its ready for towing if i need a trailer....but i can sucessfully pack, 1 blind(finisher), shell box, blind bag, big douffle bag of clothes, gun, and 1-1/2 dzn fullbodies, and still be able to take someone hunting with me!!!!...if you doubt it ask mallardhunter he saw it all packed in there.
Just making my way the only way i know how!
duckbuster
hunter

Postby Ducker99 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:08 pm

I would have say go with explorer of the 4runner. The 4runner would be better off road but you are right that they dont get that good of gas milage. Our F-150 gets about 16mpg.
Take EM!
Ducker99
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum