F150 WTH?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: whisperin' duck, ajmorell, fowl_wishes, KCDuckMaster

F150 WTH?

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:44 am

2013 F150 4x4 33,000k
Snow last week and wanted to put it into 4H. Came to a stop, foot on break, hit lever and nothing. It just flashed and would not engage. Then I couldn't get it to 2X, so I decided to put it in Low, just to attempt to get out of what I was in and try to get into H or just go back to 2X and go home. It engaged into Low, then the SPEEDometer (not tac) went up to 60mph with no revving or movement. I had a hard time getting it back to 2 but got it and went home.
I brought it in to the dealer and they replaced the 4x4 motor (or something??) and said that still didn't fix the problem. The are now replacing the transfer casing......
What on earth is going on?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 8982
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: Great South Bay

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:42 pm

Its one of Fords Better Ideas LOL. Please post when they find out what the culprit is. Ive never heard of one doing that kind of weird stuff
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
User avatar
cluckmeister
State Moderator
 
Posts: 8090
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Central Kansas

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby Mike the Fox » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:56 pm

Sounds more electrical than mechanical but I'm not familiar with fords. Please let us know what they found


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Mike the Fox
hunter
 
Posts: 2185
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:58 pm
Location: good ol' Burnham

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:05 pm

found this on a web site, sounds like a similar issue, unfortunately there wasn't a diagnosis listed

Suddenly the transfer case started jerking and the SUV was shaking badly that I almost couldn't drive it home. I was lucky to have this happening at 1/2 mile from my house and at about 20-25 miles per hour! it was no code to indicate where the failure occurred within the power train. I took a part the rear end, I found nothing wrong with it. I started to troubleshoot the transfer case and I noticed that the electrical motor with actuator does not spin the shaft from tranfer case, reason that the transfer case can't select firmly the position of hi, low or 4wd!!!!. Observing that the motor of the transfer case sifter does not spin, I purchased a new motor from Ford,. After replacement, the problem persisted; so, I replaced the transfer case module, behind the glove box; no result. To be able to move the car around I unplugged the transfer case motor shift from the main harness and the SUV stays now in 4wd with blinking lights on my dash for abs and 4x4 wd!!! I am still wandering what could happened to me if the jumping and grinding was to happened when I was driving the car with 65-70 miles per hour and the power train could snap
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
User avatar
cluckmeister
State Moderator
 
Posts: 8090
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Central Kansas

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:22 am

Today is day 10......still waiting. They are replacing the transfer casing.... :mad:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 8982
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: Great South Bay

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:17 am

Such BS....
The truck needed a master cylinder due to the recall and they accused my mechanic of NOT cutting the discs ( I know he did.) So that became a "he said, she said" that went nowhere. They replaced the transfer casing which was supposed to clear up that 4x4 shifting issue that was under warrantee.
Ten days from start to finish, as a matter of fact, I picked it up on day 11.....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 8982
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: Great South Bay

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby walnuts4x4 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:29 am

Built Ford tough.....
User avatar
walnuts4x4
hunter
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:39 am

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby whisperin' duck » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:20 pm

Ten days to diagnose, order the part, and install isn't that bad. Especially when you consider it probably took four work days to get the transfer case. Please explain what you mean by "cutting the discs." I assume you mean that he didn't turn the rotors on a brake job. If that's the case, what's that have to do with the master cylinder warranty issue?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
User avatar
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 9886
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: North East Arkansas

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby MinneKans » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:31 pm

Was wondering about that term too. Only 33K on it so I hope no brake job already.
MinneKans
hunter
 
Posts: 3047
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:33 am

MinneKans wrote:Was wondering about that term too. Only 33K on it so I hope no brake job already.

Yes, "turn the rotors"...Cut the rotors, resurfaced the rotors.....whatever...
The timeline is important and forgive my layman's terms.
The brake pads were shot at 30k. The calipers were stuck in the somewhat closed position and therefore wore through the pads faster than they should have. If the master cylinder had anything to do with it, I can't say, but since we agree that 30 is very low for a brake job and the master cylinder was recalled.......not sure.
Of course the dealership accused my mechanic of not doing a complete brake job,which naturally he refutes...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 8982
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: Great South Bay

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby goldfish » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:16 am

They should only need to actually turn the discs if they are warped, which would take something else failing by 30k miles on a brand new vehicle. Usually the pulsing that you feel in the pedal from a "warped rotor" is just excessive pad material building up on the rotor, which the shop can just grind off and it doesn't need to go into the turning machine.
Sometimes I think...
'Do I really want a beer?'
Then I remember there's a supervolcano under Yellowstone that is 40,000 years overdue, and when it erupts, it could potentially cover most of North America... and I'm like,
F YEAH I WANT A BEER!
~Gunny
User avatar
goldfish
hunter
 
Posts: 7780
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:01 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:50 pm

goldfish wrote:which would take something else failing by 30k miles on a brand new vehicle.

I don't know enough about how each part effects the next part but I do know that he said that the calipers were stuck in the semi-closed position that left the pads in light, but permanent contact with the disc. Further up the mechanical food chain, the master cyl was a recall item.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 8982
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: Great South Bay

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby MinneKans » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:20 pm

***. You got a lemon.

Im sticking with GM.
MinneKans
hunter
 
Posts: 3047
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby Mike the Fox » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:32 pm

MinneKans wrote:***. You got a lemon.

Im sticking with GM.

Government motors?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
User avatar
Mike the Fox
hunter
 
Posts: 2185
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:58 pm
Location: good ol' Burnham

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby MinneKans » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Mike the Fox wrote:
MinneKans wrote:***. You got a lemon.

Im sticking with GM.

Government motors?

Yep, was thinking Ford Explorer next time but these stories worry me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MinneKans
hunter
 
Posts: 3047
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:50 pm

MinneKans wrote:***. You got a lemon.

Im sticking with GM.

I came from GM......
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 8982
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: Great South Bay

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby Mike the Fox » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:29 pm

I probably sound like a broken record but go look at a Toyota


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
User avatar
Mike the Fox
hunter
 
Posts: 2185
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:58 pm
Location: good ol' Burnham

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:18 am

This is my 3rd Ford F series and no problems other than general maintenance. I'm not sure this "problem" is even that much a problem other that it just seemed like a cluster screw at the dealer.
I do like the Tundra, they are unabashed about their poor mileage and at this level, every gallon counts.
I don't like the way GM's look or drive.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 8982
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: Great South Bay

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby AWall3322 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:57 pm

Mike the Fox wrote:I probably sound like a broken record but go look at a Toyota


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


I'm with you Mike, I like toyotas. As an aside, I work on a strip job and the biggest POSs are the fords. The F150s barely get driven(office folks) and stay broken and all the foremen have F250s that essentially never leave the haul roads and they are constantly broken and don't go "off-road" nearly as well as the 2500HDs us pee ons drive. Yes the 2500s break but we take them anywhere and everywhere. If they aren't framed out they don't stop


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AWall3322
hunter
 
Posts: 934
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby MinneKans » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Slack Tide wrote:This is my 3rd Ford F series and no problems other than general maintenance. I'm not sure this "problem" is even that much a problem other that it just seemed like a cluster screw at the dealer.
I do like the Tundra, they are unabashed about their poor mileage and at this level, every gallon counts.
I don't like the way GM's look or drive.


:no: You are discounting the fact that Ford couldn't set the brakes correctly at the factory and installed a faulty four wheel drive. Unacceptable for an EXPENSIVE brand new vehicle,
MinneKans
hunter
 
Posts: 3047
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:08 am

Allllllll, true and no doubt about it.
That being said, I know at least half a dozen guys with my truck from '10 - '17 and all are repeat F series guys. I'm sure each of them has a story of a repair but all love their trucks.
In a commercial or industrial application, and you're around 20 of them, you are 1) using a borrowed truck to perform a tough job all day every day, so I'm sure the guys at the mine are nice and gentle with the bosses trucks and 2) you are around many of them to see a larger "test group"....so certainly you'll see more cons.
I'm not a passionate "Ford vs Chevy" guy so not worth arguing about. I'm hopeful that this is my first and last issue and I'll continue enjoying my truck from here on out....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 8982
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: Great South Bay

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby AWall3322 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:55 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Allllllll, true and no doubt about it.
That being said, I know at least half a dozen guys with my truck from '10 - '17 and all are repeat F series guys. I'm sure each of them has a story of a repair but all love their trucks.
In a commercial or industrial application, and you're around 20 of them, you are 1) using a borrowed truck to perform a tough job all day every day, so I'm sure the guys at the mine are nice and gentle with the bosses trucks and 2) you are around many of them to see a larger "test group"....so certainly you'll see more cons.
I'm not a passionate "Ford vs Chevy" guy so not worth arguing about. I'm hopeful that this is my first and last issue and I'll continue enjoying my truck from here on out....


Sorry wasn't trying to take it to a ford vs chevy thing at all just sharing my experiences. Most of the fords seem to have electrical issues at some point or another for whatever reason. I like toyotas myself


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AWall3322
hunter
 
Posts: 934
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby whisperin' duck » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:08 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
MinneKans wrote:Was wondering about that term too. Only 33K on it so I hope no brake job already.

Yes, "turn the rotors"...Cut the rotors, resurfaced the rotors.....whatever...
The timeline is important and forgive my layman's terms.
The brake pads were shot at 30k. The calipers were stuck in the somewhat closed position and therefore wore through the pads faster than they should have. If the master cylinder had anything to do with it, I can't say, but since we agree that 30 is very low for a brake job and the master cylinder was recalled.......not sure.
Of course the dealership accused my mechanic of not doing a complete brake job,which naturally he refutes...


Your mech is clean on that. If the calipers were engaged the new pads wouldn't have went in, and then on the rotor.

I don't mean this to sound rude, at all. You can bash all you want, but you're neglecting that ford fixed the issue. If you think it took too long, you're being somewhat unreasonable. Sure, it's aggravating to have a truck in the shop. It's also aggravating to the mechanic to have to wait a week on a part. Especially when he's already got hours invested that he won't get paid for, until it's done. What the public doesn't get is that out money is tied up in every job until it's done. Try having six thousand dollars tied up over a $15.00 part.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
User avatar
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 9886
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: North East Arkansas

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby whisperin' duck » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:22 pm

MinneKans wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:This is my 3rd Ford F series and no problems other than general maintenance. I'm not sure this "problem" is even that much a problem other that it just seemed like a cluster screw at the dealer.
I do like the Tundra, they are unabashed about their poor mileage and at this level, every gallon counts.
I don't like the way GM's look or drive.


:no: You are discounting the fact that Ford couldn't set the brakes correctly at the factory and installed a faulty four wheel drive. Unacceptable for an EXPENSIVE brand new vehicle,


A faulty part, that is warranted, doesn't mean the brand is all around bad. It would be unacceptable if it had happened and not been covered. It sucks it happened, but it was made right.

My $70k duramax blew up after 3k miles. There's no doubt in my mind that it was just a bad part or two parts at the opposite end of the tolerance spectrum. It has no reflection on GM as a whole, except that when they offered a buyback the dealer blocked GM and stuck me with the truck.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
User avatar
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 9886
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: North East Arkansas

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:39 am

WD-
This particular dealership is a disaster. I never ever go there unless it's a warranty item and every time it is an issue.
In this case, I dropped the truck off on Fri after work. I needed an oil change and the brake issue/4x4 issue t one looked at. I told them what the problems were, not just a "noise."
They never touched the truck until Monday when they did the oil change. Tuesday they ordered the master cylinder and Wed it came in and they did that job. Thursday they evaluated the 4x4 issue and ordered the part, a "4x4 shift motor" or something. With that, the mechanic that was working on my truck's dad died so he left. The part came in on Friday but since "my mechanic" (as the manager called him) was out, the truck sat. It sat Friday, Sat and Sun with the part on the table since "my mechanic" was out. Monday it was installed by another guy and determined to not fix the problem. That's when the transfer casing was ordered and that came in on Wed and was installed, I picked it up Thurs pm.
So all in all, yes, I'm pleased that I didn't have to pay to fix the failed part or the recalled part, but I didn't expect to.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 8982
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: Great South Bay

Next

Return to Vehicle forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest