F150 WTH?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: whisperin' duck, ajmorell, fowl_wishes, KCDuckMaster

Re: F150 WTH?

Postby whisperin' duck » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:39 pm

Why would you drop your truck off on a Friday? Mechanics work mon-fri just like you, especially at a dealership. The fact his father died and he was out shouldn't upset you at all. Wouldn't you take off a few days if your father died?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:13 am

whisperin' duck wrote:Why would you drop your truck off on a Friday? Mechanics work mon-fri just like you, especially at a dealership. The fact his father died and he was out shouldn't upset you at all. Wouldn't you take off a few days if your father died?

I dropped it off on Friday at 2:30 because I was going away for a few days and they are open until 6pm AND the do tune ups and oil changes on Saturdays. So, if it were me, knowing that I had a brake issue and a 4x4 issue on the same truck, I'd get it in for the oil change and an evaluation sFriday afternoon or Sat at some point so I could hit the ground running on Monday informed and ready to order parts for the other issues.
But they didn't.
And as for the mechanic, he is not "my" mechanic.....he is "their" mechanic. And so surely as your kid would be taught in my class by a sub if I were absent for any reason, they should have resigned the remainder of the job because the part WAS there and it sat for days.....and stupidly, they told me that!
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Sounds to me like the problem is the stealership not the truck. There must be another ford dealer within 20 miles on Long Island?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:29 pm

Slack, you are uncovering alot of issues that I and many and now you are experiencing. DEALERSHIPS suck, plain an simple. In my experience unless it is only a minor repair, dealerships will take you for everything they can.

In my latest example, i had a Honda civic commuter car. The CEL came on, it ran fine but wouldnt pass smog only becaus of the CEL, not because of hudrocarbon output. Took it to HONDa dealer, they immediatley told it was a blown head gasket or cracked head and the bill was going to be about 3 grand. I asked if they were going to replace the timing belt and water pump with me only picking up the cost on those parts since they are removed any ways during the removal of the cylinder head. They then told me if i wanted the extra work it was going to be an additional $1,500. Now im at $4,500 for the job to be done properly.

Took to a trusted auto family auto mechanic. Turned out to be a lighly bent valve. He did all the repairs including the water pump, timiming belt, full brake job with rotors, full service, and main fuel filter and threw in an allignment for $3,000.

The dealer only goes by book time, not the actual time to repair your vehicle or the common sense of if your taking the part of anyways there shouldnt be an additional charge to install the same new part.

Dealerships are a joke unless its under warranty!

Even then, you as a consumer need to know the basic operations of the systems or get a second trusted opinion before you foot the bill. Dealerships will take advantage of warranty work if they can make a buck.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:39 am

QuackerSmacker498 wrote:Dealerships are a joke unless its under warranty!

My only reason for going to the dealer is for an issue under warranty.
But that brings up another issue;
I don't care how good your local Shady Tree mechanic is. There is no way that any one individual can possible have the knowledge and diagnostic equipment (correct me if I'm wrong Whisper) to intelligently evaluate the computerized heating system of a 2016 Chrysler T&C one minute, then the all wheel drive system of a Subaru the next, then the slipping electronic transmission of an F150 after that, etc etc etc....
I have drawn a line with my mechanic to anything MECHANICAL.....beyond that, I feel that the dealer should be responsible for using Ford products and repairing and replacing to factory specs.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:33 am

Slack, I totally agree that no mechanic can be a master of all vehicle makes and models, however, the concepts of modern vehicle systems is "relatively" the same across the board until you get into hybrid and electic vehicles. Same concepts hold true for outboard motors. To diagnose a problem with any particular vehicle should start with the basic mechanics or principles the vehicle was built on. Being able to follow a bools instructions and directions shouldnt be that difficult if you have a mechanical aptitude. If your are an accountant with zero mechanical skills, it will most likely be challenging.

Im not hear to argue the knowledge of the dealerships, just pointing out that they are in the game to make money! If you dont believe that, you are only kidding yourself. If you dont think they will screw you in a second, well enjoy getting screwed!!!

Your vehicle should not have taken that long to have been repaired by anyone, unless the parts were coming from the otherside of the country.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Mike the Fox wrote:I probably sound like a broken record but go look at a Toyota

Jap truck made in Mexico.
Banded Birds - Black Ducks - 6, Mallards 19 (3 Jack Miner) BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, 1 Ross and 1 snow Goose (Both reward bands) , Canada Geese - 15 (2 neck collars), Morning Dove - 1.
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:29 pm

QuackerSmacker498 wrote:Your vehicle should not have taken that long to have been repaired by anyone, unless the parts were coming from the otherside of the country.

I don't know where you get the notion that I'm debating or disagree with you, on the contrary..
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:19 pm

Theduckguru wrote:
Mike the Fox wrote:I probably sound like a broken record but go look at a Toyota

Jap truck made in Mexico.

Mine was built in San Antonio Texas. Doesn't get much more American that that. [emoji631]

Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:44 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
whisperin' duck wrote:Why would you drop your truck off on a Friday? Mechanics work mon-fri just like you, especially at a dealership. The fact his father died and he was out shouldn't upset you at all. Wouldn't you take off a few days if your father died?

I dropped it off on Friday at 2:30 because I was going away for a few days and they are open until 6pm AND the do tune ups and oil changes on Saturdays. So, if it were me, knowing that I had a brake issue and a 4x4 issue on the same truck, I'd get it in for the oil change and an evaluation sFriday afternoon or Sat at some point so I could hit the ground running on Monday informed and ready to order parts for the other issues.
But they didn't.
And as for the mechanic, he is not "my" mechanic.....he is "their" mechanic. And so surely as your kid would be taught in my class by a sub if I were absent for any reason, they should have resigned the remainder of the job because the part WAS there and it sat for days.....and stupidly, they told me that!

Oil changes and tune ups are done by hourly flunkies, NOT mechanics. Most smaller dealerships have one or two MECHANICS, and several flunkies.

As far as your substitute goes, does he grade term papers for you? Does he evaluate oral presentations?

I'm not saying that it shouldn't have been done quicker. I'm saying that extenuating circumstances caused it to take longer than expected. With exclusion of dropping it off on Friday for a serious mechanical issue, starting a big diagnosing job on a Friday afternoon is rare.

LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby whisperin' duck » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:49 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
QuackerSmacker498 wrote:Dealerships are a joke unless its under warranty!

My only reason for going to the dealer is for an issue under warranty.
But that brings up another issue;
I don't care how good your local Shady Tree mechanic is. There is no way that any one individual can possible have the knowledge and diagnostic equipment (correct me if I'm wrong Whisper) to intelligently evaluate the computerized heating system of a 2016 Chrysler T&C one minute, then the all wheel drive system of a Subaru the next, then the slipping electronic transmission of an F150 after that, etc etc etc....
I have drawn a line with my mechanic to anything MECHANICAL.....beyond that, I feel that the dealer should be responsible for using Ford products and repairing and replacing to factory specs.

A good mechanic can do EVERYTHING. The only reason I take anything to the dealership is if it's under warranty, or the manufacturer hasn't released the diagnostics. 90% of dealership mechanics type in the issue and start following the manufacturers recommendations of "potential fixes". The mechanic that works for me left a local dealership because they wouldn't let him be a mechanic, they expected him to follow ONLY the manufacturers "potential fixes". The mechanic I use for major electrical issues, and sdm reflashes, gets cars from the dealerships to fix sometimes. Because their mechanics have no clue how to fix it. Shocker!!!

whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:58 am

whisperin' duck wrote:As far as your substitute goes, does he grade term papers for you? Does he evaluate oral presentations?

Very God point, good analogy....you can sub for me anytime.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:30 am

I'm not subbing for anyone. 17 year olds look too much like 23 year olds for my comfort.

whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby goldfish » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:13 am

whisperin' duck wrote:I'm not subbing for anyone. 17 year olds look too much like 23 year olds for my comfort.

Ain't that the dam troof
Sometimes I think...
'Do I really want a beer?'
Then I remember there's a supervolcano under Yellowstone that is 40,000 years overdue, and when it erupts, it could potentially cover most of North America... and I'm like,
F YEAH I WANT A BEER!
~Gunny
goldfish
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:20 am

whisperin' duck wrote:I'm not subbing for anyone. 17 year olds look too much like 23 year olds for my comfort.

I hear that...but my guys are 6th grade...
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:05 am

Slack Tide wrote:

I hear that...but my guys are 6th grade...

I've seen some 6th graders that I thought were seniors. It's just wrong the way parents let their kids dress and act.

whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Previous

Return to Vehicle forum