Cars that can pull trailers?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Cars that can pull trailers?

Postby Whitehorse » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:54 pm

hey guys, we've all see cars pulling small boats and what not, but i don't know anything about it, so I have a few questions

What cars can pull a trailer (an old boat trailer) that also has a 4-wheeler on the back??

I am not sure how much it would end up weighing in all, but i'd be looking at having to pull it up to about 20 miles or so a couple days a week.

here is another concern... i live in minnesota, so i also want a car with front wheel drive, can take a beatin, and also gas around the 25 miles per gallon mark..

any help appreciated!!
Whitehorse
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:54 pm

I never recommend anyone pull a trailer of any kind with a FWD car. They are just not designed for it.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shoot-n-goose » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:22 pm

Most cars these days that can get 24 mpg dont have a trans that can handle the weight of a trailer, even if it is only a atv.

The older big bodied cars, like the boat grandma drives, can pull a hell of alot. My grandpa used to load his Caprice Classic with 6 guys and tow an overloaded trailer 400 miles to go deer hunting for a week. Then bring it home with all that gear and 5 deer tied onto the roof. But it got no where near 24mpg and was RWD
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby Whitehorse » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:14 pm

yea, found most vehicles are about 1000 lbs towing, and 200 lbs on thetoung.... i won't have a prob with front wheel at all, not even worried about it... i'm gonna have to keep lookin into it, but looks like a impala might even do the trick...
Whitehorse
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:24 am

Why not get a truck. They are made to pull stuff and haul stuff. Ive got a 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive with diesel that will drag the block around and gets 18 pulling my rig.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Whitehorse » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:21 am

thats exactly it, can't afford the gas on it, I drive quite a little, and bein in college I can't afford getting a truck or justifying a guzzler... i only need it on the weekends during duck hunting... the trailer will most likely only travel about 5 miles per morning, but who knows if i will find different spots...

can't justify getting poor gas milage because I want to tug something 5 miles 15 times a year... just not logical... i'll prob end up buying an old beater for a grand or so, but who knows

thanks for the help though guys
Whitehorse
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:04 am

If your gonna buy something for a grand, get an older jeep. Around here you can get a pretty nice oone for about $600.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:03 pm

When did 18 mpg become a guzzler. :rofl:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Original Al » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:18 pm

My buddy used to tow his dirt bike around behind his maxima. It was light trailer and bike though. He had a sales job the required him to drive a ton and owning a truck just wasn't an option.

A boat and a 4wheeler seems like a heavy load for a car to tug.
I ain't gone to bed with no ugly women, but I've sure woke up with a few

SEMO expert and hater of all things OOS

Duck hunters in the bootheel are the biggest violators in the Mississippi flyway

Take a kid golfing. My hunting spots are too crowded
Original Al
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:41 pm

shoot-n-goose wrote:Most cars these days that can get 24 mpg dont have a trans that can handle the weight of a trailer, even if it is only a atv.

The older big bodied cars, like the boat grandma drives, can pull a hell of alot. My grandpa used to load his Caprice Classic with 6 guys and tow an overloaded trailer 400 miles to go deer hunting for a week. Then bring it home with all that gear and 5 deer tied onto the roof. But it got no where near 24mpg and was RWD

BINGO! The biggest factors limiting the towing capacity of any vehicle are the wheelbase, drivetrain (engine/transmission), and the braking ability of the vehicle. I wouldn't tow anything behind a car, heck I don't even like pulling a pop-up camper behind my lifted Jeep.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby shoot-n-goose » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:42 pm

I just remembered i have seen a dodge charger towing a 20ft bow rider with an inboard/outboard that was setup for skiing, so it had some guts to it. Boy was that thing sagging
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby lockedup » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:55 pm

fowl_wishes wrote:I never recommend anyone pull a trailer of any kind with a FWD car. They are just not designed for it.

x2
Harvest 'em!!!
lockedup
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:32 pm

S-10, Ranger, Yota, Nissian etc. etc. same price as a car yet will tow you little boat.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lockedup » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:28 pm

LaRedneck wrote:S-10, Ranger, Yota, Nissian etc. etc. same price as a car yet will tow you little boat.

I have a s-10 crew cab 4.3, and I am surprised what it can pull. It'll pull an 18' boat without any trouble.
Harvest 'em!!!
lockedup
hunter

Postby popeye_22175 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:59 pm

I DONT RECOMEND PULLING ANYTHING WITH A CAR, ESPECSILY IN MINNESOTA , I WOULD LOOK IN TO A SUV SUCH AS A OLDER GMC, OR S-10 , FORD EXPLOYER , 4X4 THAT WAY YOU STILL GET THE MILAGE AND WILL TOW ALOT TOO
popeye_22175
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum