ATV performance in snow?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Best atv in snowy conditions

Yamaha
No votes
Suzuki
25%
Honda
50%
Polaris
25%
Arctic cat
No votes

Total votes : 4

ATV performance in snow?

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:35 pm

And NO i do not want Tracks on my ATV, I have a sled for that.

My question is with ATV's and belt slippage in snow, My Kawasaki Brute force 750 is good for about an hour in knee high snow and then the belt will start slipping, the case is sealed and it appears to be condensation sucked in thru the airbox. Traction is never an issue with the 27" mud tires but this belt thing is getting old. My buddies Polaris does the exact same thing after about the same amount of snow riding.

I have seen Hondas Run Seat deep in water for quite a distance on some of our trail rides and never have any issues. I know that the hondas do not have the same type of drive that all the rest do but how are they in the deep snow?

The Suzuki and arctic cat use the same type drive and share the same parts as my Kawasaki so I have to assume that they would work about the same.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby supr87gt » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:33 am

Ive got a stock Yamaha Grizzly 700 (with stock tires) and I run the kids around all day on it. Despite not getting enough traction with the tires being stock, Ive never had a problem. I have ZERO complaints about it regarding anything else either. It's been through the creek, off-roading, jumped, etc. We are pretty hard on them to the point of not tearing them up and it's withstood it all.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:29 pm

Upgrade your belt, use low gear or get a new clutch bout all there is to it.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:26 pm

LaRedneck wrote:Upgrade your belt, use low gear or get a new clutch bout all there is to it.

They already have clutch kits and kevlar belts for the 27" tires. It did it before and after the belt, clutch and tires were installed. it has nothing to due with the clutch or belt, it is the water in the case. It could be condensation or sucking moisture in the air box but it gets in there. both our Polaris and Kawasaki have the same issue. Some times it does not happen the first days ride but will cause problems on the second day. again, we are riding in snow that is up to or over the floorboards at times so it is packing in around the engine and the clutch case. Kawasaki says the belt case is sealed and that my problem is with riding it for extended periods that the cold moist air coming in to cool the clutch (has a large open tube from the clutch case to the air box) is condensing and causing the belt to slip. I can believe the condensation as the whole inside the cover is damp when I open it. I am thinking about a new Honda this fall.

Thanks for the replys.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum