Diesel Fuel economy

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Diesel Fuel economy

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:02 am

I will be buying a New (or used to get away from the DPF crap) Truck this year. I am looking at the Dodge and GM diesels and wondering what fuel economy your getting with STOCK trucks. My Neighbor and his son both have silverados and both are claiming 21mpg + but only after they got about 5000 miles on the trucks. they were getting around 12 at first. The prices are WAY down on trucks right now and it looks like it is time to buy.

Thanks
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:44 am

my uncle's dodge gets 18 no matter what. my friend's fords both get 21.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:11 am

My friends 03 2500HD gets about 21 highway, which I think is pretty average amongst all the diesels it seems. Good call on staying away from the DPF equipped trucks.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:18 pm

Your not gonna get one without DPF unless you go back to 07 models, or do a DPF delete. The dodge guys have bout got it all worked out and getting great gains with it gone. I get around 18-20 in my 5.9. :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:18 pm

Smackaduck wrote:Your not gonna get one without DPF unless you go back to 07 models, or do a DPF delete. The dodge guys have bout got it all worked out and getting great gains with it gone. I get around 18-20 in my 5.9. :thumbsup:

Right about the DPFs on all accounts. I have heard of some tremendous gains with a DPF + programmer, even more if you add an intake and exhaust.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby cONG » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:47 pm

If you take a DPF off make sure you put it back on before taking it to the dealer if its warranty
get a 08 power stroke than buy a turner called spartan {250} than you can turn on and off any program you want
mpg 12-24 depends on how you drive and pulling
cONG
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:24 pm

Theres guys on cumminsforum with a dpf and egr delete talking 24 hand calced, thats pretty good for a 7000# ride. I just got back from arkieville and the overhead said 21.5 which is propably more like 19 and a half. I can live with that especially with diesel at 1.75 right now. :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby USMCDUCKS » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:49 pm

i got an 04 dodge. before i put the chip in it i was getting about 22 on the highway and about 18 in the city. after the lift im still getting about 16 in the city and about 19 on the hwy
Semper Fi
Sgt Loeper
USMCDUCKS
hunter

Postby Ryan Hill » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:29 am

Neither I nor any of my friends have stock trucks, but we've got a couple of them well over 600 rwhp and getting 24 on the freeway, expect about 19 on a stock GM
Ryan Hill
hunter

Postby jehler » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:54 am

I bought a 2008 chevy crew cab 2500hd 4 wd last fall with the duramax. completely stock on the highway cruising 60-65 i get 20 mpg. towing (10,000# tool trailer) I get about 15. if I burn a full tank on my plow route I get about 8. it will regen three times or more in a tank of gas when snowplowing :no:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby supr87gt » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:31 pm

cONG wrote:If you take a DPF off make sure you put it back on before taking it to the dealer if its warranty
get a 08 power stroke than buy a turner called spartan {250} than you can turn on and off any program you want
mpg 12-24 depends on how you drive and pulling

Actually it depends on the dealer/service dept. And yes, Spartan is the cat's meow to these trucks. Now they have a 275 tune out.
supr87gt
hunter

Re: Diesel Fuel economy

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:40 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:I will be buying a New (or used to get away from the DPF crap) Truck this year. I am looking at the Dodge and GM diesels and wondering what fuel economy your getting with STOCK trucks. My Neighbor and his son both have silverados and both are claiming 21mpg + but only after they got about 5000 miles on the trucks. they were getting around 12 at first. The prices are WAY down on trucks right now and it looks like it is time to buy.

Thanks

Your going to get all kinds of different answers and its all based on peoples different driveing styles, where they live, city, hwy, speed, etc etc. I don't think your going to see a jump at 5k, you will at around 40k but 5k seems a bit soon. If you want answers but don't want to be overwhelmed by a big forum site PM me and i'll tell you a good site with good people. OH just for crap&grins, I get 14 in the winter and 23ish but its not stock and I havn't driven it in the summer yet with all the new mods yet either. Plus my MPG's are low because I can't keep my foot off the skinny pedal for hearing that sweet turbo whistle.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:25 pm

It will probably end up being a GM as I get the employee discount and my dad gets extra discount vouchers all the time. I can get a supplier discount on a dodge but not sure if they will still be around in the comming years.

I read that International will purchase the Jeep brand and GM is trying to buy chrysler but does not want the dodge division. I also read that international is going to bring the scout back out and supply MB diesels in the entire jeep line.

It will all depend on if I can find a used one with VERY low miles at the right price. if Not I will just buy new and deal with the DPF. My plan is to be burning Cooking oil in it after the warranty is up.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:28 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:It will probably end up being a GM as I get the employee discount and my dad gets extra discount vouchers all the time. I can get a supplier discount on a dodge but not sure if they will still be around in the comming years.

I read that International will purchase the Jeep brand and GM is trying to buy chrysler but does not want the dodge division. I also read that international is going to bring the scout back out and supply MB diesels in the entire jeep line.

It will all depend on if I can find a used one with VERY low miles at the right price. if Not I will just buy new and deal with the DPF. My plan is to be burning Cooking oil in it after the warranty is up.

:hijacked: Not to sidetrack here, but the International/Jeep thing is just a rumor. I've heard and read that a couple places but found it isn't true.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:41 pm

If any of the big three go down we all go down, so buy what you want there not going anywhere.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum