Silverado extras

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, ajmorell, KCDuckMaster

Silverado extras

Postby Speck killer 09 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:10 am

I am wanting some opinions on some extras that i want to put on my '99 silverado, 4.8 v-8, 4x4, single cab short box. I am looking to put an exhaust on it, what do you think about a flowmaster muscle truck duel exhaust? i also want to put some new mud tires on it, what about some pep boys dakota definity m/t, or however they go. I also am thinking about a cool air intake, what do you think? If you have any more ideas that would make the truck preform etter or look better leave me a quote or a pm.

Thanks,
speck Killer '09
Speck killer 09
hunter
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:47 pm


Re: Silverado extras

Postby scotyg » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:00 pm

for exhaust i would recommend buying SI/DO flowmaster super44 and then a pair of tips. then take it to a muffler shop and have them do it how you want as far as where the tips exit. cheaper then buying a kit. i have true dual magnaflows, but thats more expensive.

as far as a cold air kit, i recommend just putting in a drop-in K&N filter or similar brand.
scotyg
hunter
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:19 am
Location: Missourah

Re: Silverado extras

Postby ajmorell » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:06 am

I agree with Scotty on the exhaust and intake. As for tires, I've heard the Pepboys M/Ts are okay but you might want to do some shopping, there are tons of MTs out there.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: Silverado extras

Postby Ryan Hill » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:27 pm

If you want a significant increase in fuel mileage then get the C/A intake. It's gonna drop your MAF temp to a good 75-80 degrees. Colder air, means a better breathing truck. Make sure it's a COLD AIR intake and not a RAM AIR. Hopefully you stay away from Slowmasters, magnaflow moves the most air. Or a custom exhaust. I didn't notice where you lived but I could have that knocked out fairly quick. Oh, duals out the back corners, not straight back, that's just sleezy cheesy. Check out a tuner, stay away from Hypertech. EFILive is the best GM tuner, but it's certainly not friendly. If you had the tuner and cables we could send you tunes through email. Otherwise check out quadzilla, they've got some decent GM programmers. PM me with any other questions.
User avatar
Ryan Hill
hunter
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:34 am
Location: Sherwood, Oregon

Re: Silverado extras

Postby devildog28 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:03 pm

Not to put down the other guys, but there are FAR better alternatives to what they suggested. First off An exhaust shop is most likely going to use a pipe bender to shape the exhaust. At the turns the pipes are going to have a much smaller diameter, because the machine basically crushes the pipe to form the bend. The about negates the gains by a free-flowing muffler.

Any generic tuner is junk IMO :rolleyes: . Do some research and find a good shop that can tune on a wide band. Get this, it's cheaper and will give you ALOT more power and efficiency.

As far as cold air goes, a K&N cold air intake and open element filter is the best bang for buck! I have one on mine. You will have to watch how fast you go through high water though :lol3:

I would also throw on a set of MSD large diameter plug wires. They'll give you a little better response. I also have these on my truck. If you start wanting to go the cam/heads route pm me and I'll point you in the right direction. :thumbsup:
User avatar
devildog28
hunter
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Katy, TX

Re: Silverado extras

Postby ajmorell » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:22 pm

devildog28 wrote:Not to put down the other guys, but there are FAR better alternatives to what they suggested. First off An exhaust shop is most likely going to use a pipe bender to shape the exhaust. At the turns the pipes are going to have a much smaller diameter, because the machine basically crushes the pipe to form the bend. The about negates the gains by a free-flowing muffler.

Any generic tuner is junk IMO :rolleyes: . Do some research and find a good shop that can tune on a wide band. Get this, it's cheaper and will give you ALOT more power and efficiency.

As far as cold air goes, a K&N cold air intake and open element filter is the best bang for buck! I have one on mine. You will have to watch how fast you go through high water though :lol3:

I would also throw on a set of MSD large diameter plug wires. They'll give you a little better response. I also have these on my truck. If you start wanting to go the cam/heads route pm me and I'll point you in the right direction. :thumbsup:



A free-flowing exhaust isn't going to gain you much of anything in terms of power anyways, but I do agree that mandrel bends are the best. As far as K&N filters, don't get me started....they are great if all you do is drive on the road but they don't filter for crap.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: Silverado extras

Postby devildog28 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:38 pm

If you mean just a "cat back" system there is some truth to that, but there will still be a little gain. In reality if you want to free up exhaust you have to put some headers on as well for some good scavenging effect. I wouldn't recommend stepped race headers though :lol3:

I have an open element K&N on mine and it definatly gives power and filters out a lot of dirt.
User avatar
devildog28
hunter
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Katy, TX

Re: Silverado extras

Postby ajmorell » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:41 pm

devildog28 wrote:If you mean just a "cat back" system there is some truth to that, but there will still be a little gain. In reality if you want to free up exhaust you have to put some headers on as well for some good scavenging effect. I wouldn't recommend stepped race headers though :lol3:

I have an open element K&N on mine and it definatly gives power and filters out a lot of dirt.



:lol: at the K&N. Google search the filtering characteristics of the K&N compared to other filters and you'll see what I'm talking about. About the exhaust, in order to see any real gains you need a free-flowing intake and exhaust. The engine needs to breathe better all the way through.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: Silverado extras

Postby devildog28 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:15 pm

ajmorell wrote:
devildog28 wrote:If you mean just a "cat back" system there is some truth to that, but there will still be a little gain. In reality if you want to free up exhaust you have to put some headers on as well for some good scavenging effect. I wouldn't recommend stepped race headers though :lol3:

I have an open element K&N on mine and it definatly gives power and filters out a lot of dirt.



:lol: at the K&N. Google search the filtering characteristics of the K&N compared to other filters and you'll see what I'm talking about. About the exhaust, in order to see any real gains you need a free-flowing intake and exhaust. The engine needs to breathe better all the way through.


Don't need to google anything for Inet marketing ad results, I've ran vehicles on the dyno with and without them including my truck :thumbsup: And I'm very aware of how an engine makes more power :smile: There's really no need to swap intakes on a Gen III motor. For instance compared to an LS6 intake the STOCK 6.0 truck intake actually has better flow numbers. But those truck intakes won't fit underneath the hood of an F-body or vette, which is why you don't seem them there. That and the fact they're pretty ugly to look at :lol3:

And if you look back on my previous post you'll see that I posted about the need for better intake air. Hell I even offered some advice on cams and heads.

Now pick up your punk card and have a nice day :thumbsup: :biggrin:
User avatar
devildog28
hunter
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Katy, TX

Re: Silverado extras

Postby ajmorell » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:21 pm

devildog28 wrote:
ajmorell wrote:
devildog28 wrote:If you mean just a "cat back" system there is some truth to that, but there will still be a little gain. In reality if you want to free up exhaust you have to put some headers on as well for some good scavenging effect. I wouldn't recommend stepped race headers though :lol3:

I have an open element K&N on mine and it definatly gives power and filters out a lot of dirt.



:lol: at the K&N. Google search the filtering characteristics of the K&N compared to other filters and you'll see what I'm talking about. About the exhaust, in order to see any real gains you need a free-flowing intake and exhaust. The engine needs to breathe better all the way through.


Don't need to google anything for Inet marketing ad results, I've ran vehicles on the dyno with and without them including my truck :thumbsup: And I'm very aware of how an engine makes more power :smile: There's really no need to swap intakes on a Gen III motor. For instance compared to an LS6 intake the STOCK 6.0 truck intake actually has better flow numbers. But those truck intakes won't fit underneath the hood of an F-body or vette, which is why you don't seem them there. That and the fact they're pretty ugly to look at :lol3:

And if you look back on my previous post you'll see that I posted about the need for better intake air. Hell I even offered some advice on cams and heads.

Now pick up your punk card and have a nice day :thumbsup: :biggrin:



By intake I meant a cold air intake, not the manifold...I apologize for that confusion. I'm not arguing whether or not a K&N flows better than a stock filter, I'm telling you that's its filtering capabilities (how much it filters out in ppm) are sub-par compared to most other filters out there, including your run-of-the-mill paper filter.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM


Return to Vehicle forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests