4cyl Tacoma

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, ajmorell, KCDuckMaster

4cyl Tacoma

Postby Salisbury » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:55 pm

Hey folks,

I am seriously looking into a new truck. The problem is that I have a 28 mile comute to work, and therefore gas mileage needs to be considered. (I have serious doubts that gas will stay at $2 per gallon.) My question is does anyone have one of the new 4cyl 159 hp Tacomas, and if so, have they towed anything with it, how does the vehicle do pulling a duck boat up a ramp, is it able to saftely stop the boat when traveling at 60mph, will it get blown around going down the road? etc. I will not be going over any serious hills or mountains, just generally flat land. Any insight would be of great help.

Happy hunting,

-Vince
Salisbury
hunter

Re: 4cyl Tacoma

Postby Tealer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:38 pm

Depending on the size of the boat. I would say the 4cyl will get it done.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby ajmorell » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:04 am

I think the real question is how big is the boat?
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Salisbury » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:24 pm

Sixteen foot aluminum boat with a 30 hp motor
Salisbury
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:31 pm

I pulled my 1756 around the world with my toyota. Mine was the older 22re. I loved that truck, even with 37s I still got great mileage and pulled the boat good, mind you I had 4.88 gears. :wink:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Salisbury » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:30 pm

Hey Smackaduck,

Was that toyota you are referencing a 4cyl or a 6cyl. Just wondering.

Best,

-Vince
Salisbury
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:11 pm

Salisbury wrote:Hey Smackaduck,

Was that toyota you are referencing a 4cyl or a 6cyl. Just wondering.

Best,

-Vince

The 22re is a 4cyl
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:09 pm

2.7L 4 cylinder. Tough as nails, I really wish I would have never sold it.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Salisbury » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:20 pm

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
Salisbury
hunter

Postby vital_kill » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:57 am

mine is a 5.7 v6, i tow my 16' devil no problemo. my brother has the 4 cyl. it tows it fkawlessly.
vital_kill
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:37 pm

vital_kill wrote:mine is a 5.7 v6, i tow my 16' devil no problemo. my brother has the 4 cyl. it tows it fkawlessly.

A 5.7 v6 :huh:

Toyota never made a 5.7 v6, nor can I think of any auto manufacturer that did.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby vital_kill » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:02 pm

ajmorell wrote:
vital_kill wrote:mine is a 5.7 v6, i tow my 16' devil no problemo. my brother has the 4 cyl. it tows it fkawlessly.

A 5.7 v6 :huh:

Toyota never made a 5.7 v6, nor can I think of any auto manufacturer that did.

My bad, I was thinking of my other truck, my tundra is the 5.7 and My tacoma is 3.4 V6.
vital_kill
hunter

Postby Salisbury » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:44 pm

Hey Vital Kill,

I saw that you re-canted something you said so I just wanted to clarify....your brother has a 4cyl, and it tows a duck boat fine. Is this correct.

I am trying to get as much input as possible.

Thanks and happy hunting,

-Vince
Salisbury
hunter

Postby vital_kill » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:57 pm

Yeah My brother has the 4 cylinder, it tows my duck boat fine.
vital_kill
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:37 pm

If your that concerned with towing then why not buy a vehicle that will tow it no problem. A 3/4 ton diesel will tow anything you put behind it and get decent mileage. I went from a regular cab toyota getting right around 20 mpg to a 3/4 ton quad cab diesel getting right at 18. More room and more power over a couple miles per gallon is a small price to pay .

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby tgs » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:03 am

I have a Tacoma, 4 cylinder, 5 speed, with the 1/2 doors in the back. I tow a 20' Lund Alaskan and no issues. At the ramp just put it into 4-low. I also tow a fully enclosed double wide snowmobile trailer and it has a lot of wind resistance but no issues so far. The truck has 103,000 and going good. I also travel a 60 mile roundtrip commute to work everyday. I don't regret buying it, but it is NOT a substitute for a full size truck. Good luck.
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby tgs » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:18 am

Hey Salisbury, Check out the Maine forum, "Some memories of 2008" 2/3rds of the way down page one, the last picture is a picture of my Tacoma with a 12' Pine tree laid across the hood. We cut it off with the chain saw and then drove to the boat ramp, (40 minutes away) and shot a limit of green heads that morning. They are tough trucks, just not big trucks.
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:14 pm

Smackaduck wrote:If your that concerned with towing then why not buy a vehicle that will tow it no problem. A 3/4 ton diesel will tow anything you put behind it and get decent mileage. I went from a regular cab toyota getting right around 20 mpg to a 3/4 ton quad cab diesel getting right at 18. More room and more power over a couple miles per gallon is a small price to pay .

It doesn't sound to me like he is that concerned with towing and I think that recommending a diesel to tow a duck boat is asinine..... :rolleyes:

Salisbury, the 4cyl will tow it fine, but you might have issues getting up to speed depending on the size of the boat. A simple remedy would be to get a v6 Taco, they still get decent mileage and it should tow pretty much any duck boat you put behind it.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:46 am

ajmorell wrote:
Smackaduck wrote:If your that concerned with towing then why not buy a vehicle that will tow it no problem. A 3/4 ton diesel will tow anything you put behind it and get decent mileage. I went from a regular cab toyota getting right around 20 mpg to a 3/4 ton quad cab diesel getting right at 18. More room and more power over a couple miles per gallon is a small price to pay .

It doesn't sound to me like he is that concerned with towing and I think that recommending a diesel to tow a duck boat is asinine..... :rolleyes:

Salisbury, the 4cyl will tow it fine, but you might have issues getting up to speed depending on the size of the boat. A simple remedy would be to get a v6 Taco, they still get decent mileage and it should tow pretty much any duck boat you put behind it.

Why in the world would it be asinine to have a truck around that will pull whatever you put behind it. It was asinine for you to think I meant he needed a diesel to pull a 800 lb boat. My point was to buy a truck that will handle all your needs and still be effiecient. :hi:

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:19 pm

Smackaduck wrote:
ajmorell wrote:

Why in the world would it be asinine to have a truck around that will pull whatever you put behind it. It was asinine for you to think I meant he needed a diesel to pull a 800 lb boat. My point was to buy a truck that will handle all your needs and still be effiecient. :hi:

:smile: I misread/misunderstood what you wrote. Of course it would be nice to have a truck that will tow anything, just unnecessary if you're never going to tow more than a 1k lb boat.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:29 am

:beer:

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Medis » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 am

I had a '98 four cylinder Tacoma and pulled a 16 foot trailer with three fourwheelers on it from Delaware to Western New York....It woudn't go over 60 mph on an incline but we made it there. Plus there were three guys in the truck and two of them weighed 200 plus. I think you would be fine with the 4 cylinder..but if you are concerned go with the 6 and you will still get decent mileage and none of the worry.
Medis
hunter

Postby PatiWenlon » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:05 am

Depending on the size of the boat.
PatiWenlon
Newb

Postby tucker301 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:24 pm

Salisbury wrote: (I have serious doubts that gas will stay at $2 per gallon.)

:huh: :eek: :huh:

Where are you?

My 2005 cylinder gets about 2 MPG more than my 2.7L 2000 did.
I don't think I could go back to the 4 after having the 6 underfoot.
tucker301
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum