MPG for the new Dodge Diesel

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

MPG for the new Dodge Diesel

Postby magnum12 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:08 am

Does anyone have an idea what the avg MPG is on the new Dodge Diesel? I am looking at a 2009 2500 4X4 diesel but not sure what they get driving down the freeway. I have heard that they do not do as well as the older diesels but I'm sure it's better then my power wagon. :smile:
magnum12
hunter

Re: MPG for the new Dodge Diesel

Postby Major Woods » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:25 am

There are 3 (2008's) here at my work, 18mpg empty is the best the guys are reporting on the highway.
Major Woods
hunter

Postby magnum12 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:09 pm

Thank you! That is better then the 12mpg's I get right now.
magnum12
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:28 am

18 would be a miracle on the 6.7 stock.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Major Woods » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:44 am

Major Woods wrote:There are 3 (2008's) here at my work, 18mpg empty is the best the guys are reporting on the highway.

I just checked again with two of the 3 guys.
In mixed "everyday" driveing 15mpg is normal, the 18mpg is for 100% all highway driving.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:51 am

You don't buy a dodge for MPG's, you buy it to pull houses Fords and Chevys. You want MPG's get a chevy.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:44 pm

Im really diggin the mileage Im getting with the 5.9 im up to 40,000 miles now and the mileage just keeps getting better. I keep the smarty on 9 and that doesnt help, but I dont ever go anywhere without the boat and it averages at 18.5.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:55 am

You got 40K already dman, coarse i've been deploy for a year but mine only has a little over 17 on it, lol. But yeah I can't wait till I get my smarty too. You ain't blown that tranny yet :lol3:

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:28 pm

I bought in in sept. of 6 it will be three years old this september. Doesnt seem that long ago though. I havent had any trouble with the tranny. I just drive normal but the powers there when you need it. I think Im gonna put it back on 5 though to keep me out of trouble. 5 is plenty of power for the stock tranny and blows stock out of the water. I have to reset it to stock before taking it to the dealer and it feels like such a dog.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:56 pm

I bet, I can't wait till I get mine. As soon as I get back from Iraq its coal rolling time.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:31 pm

It will deffinately do that. Not like some of the other rigs with injectors, and turbos, but it will black out an intersection, or a hobo. :lol3: :lol3:

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby xbreaka » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:55 pm

magnum12 wrote:Does anyone have an idea what the avg MPG is on the new Dodge Diesel? I am looking at a 2009 2500 4X4 diesel but not sure what they get driving down the freeway. I have heard that they do not do as well as the older diesels but I'm sure it's better then my power wagon. :smile:

You can increase the MPG by about 1-2 by disabling the EGR emissions system under the hood(just involves unplugging it), it will throw an engine code but it doesn't do anything bad. Just plug it back in when you take it back to the dealer for service.

I'll tell you what I tell anyone looking for a diesel, buy an older one. The new 6.7s are choked up like hell with emissions stuff, and you have that annoying particulate filter that you need to get cleaned from time to time. You can get a 2003-2006 5.9L cummins for not that much money, and you'll see around 20-22mpg on the highway. Get the 6 speed stick to, those transmissions are indestructible.

The 6.0l powerchokes are a toss up, they were garbage from 03-04, My friends with 05s-06s haven't had many issues. The duramax's have a ton of power, and are good if they are still under warranty as they have a tendency to kill injectors. The cummins will have the best mileage though.
xbreaka
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:32 am

Diesel Power did a "fuel economy" issue a few months back. they tested the big 3 in factory stock form and modified with tuners and methanol injection loaded and unloaded. The Chevy got the best in all test at about 22, the Dodge was second with a best of around 18 and the Ford was last with 17 if I remember correctly, I will try to dig up the article later tonight. I was looking at a new Ford but a lot of owners have told me to go with one 2 to 4 years old as they were getting 22mpg with the older ones compared to 14-18 with the newer ones. I drove a new ford this weekend and I was impressed with the ride but the interrior just feels "cheep" I am looking at the dodges this week. If they will not deal with me I will be buying a Duramax this fall (I get the GM discount and it saves several thousand $$$)

I would like to find a pre Particulate filter dodge with Low miles but there are none around here, The dodges I do find were all used as "work trucks" and look like it.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:32 am

Yeah I think the 5.9 guys are going to hang on to theirs as they know how things are going with these new choked up trucks. However ford is suppose to be coming out with a 6.7 next year and its suppose to be a better motor or so the story goes.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Major Woods » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:15 am

Smackaduck wrote:Yeah I think the 5.9 guys are going to hang on to theirs as they know how things are going with these new choked up trucks.

Funny you should mension that, I've been approached twice already about selling my 2007 Dodge diesel 5.9
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:29 pm

Ill sell mine but it aint gonna be for blue book. Id sell it today for 35. :thumbsup:

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:32 pm

Smackaduck wrote:Ill sell mine but it aint gonna be for blue book. Id sell it today for 35. :thumbsup:

Last year all the Dodge dealers in central MI were selling the dodge diesel pickups for $19,000 and the regular Gas for $15,000 and yes there were all 4x4's and quad cabs (what I was shopping for). this went on for about 2 months. Ford and gm did not follow but I wish they had, but at the time My wife had been out of work for over a year and we bought her a new suv so me buying a truck was not allowed. a buddy tried to trade in his 2004 quad cab 4x4 and they offered him $5000 and it only has 25,000 miles on it. THis was during the $4.00 gal gas period. Now that I have the cash in hand the trucks are back up to $30,000. I will be hitting the local repo auctions this spring...
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GoldHunter » Thu May 07, 2009 6:33 pm

I have almost 20k on my 6.7 Cummins and I average about 17 on the highway taking it easy...that's with big MT tires as well. Around town its about 13 or 14...
GoldHunter
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon May 11, 2009 3:58 pm

I got my smarty jr and towing heavy i get around 11 to 12 and thats heavy at 65 mph. Heavy being crap over 10k. Normal around town i can be easy and get 19. But with the new programmer and other goodies i'm never easy on the skinny.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GoldHunter » Tue May 12, 2009 7:52 pm

LaRedneck wrote:I got my smarty jr and towing heavy i get around 11 to 12 and thats heavy at 65 mph. Heavy being crap over 10k. Normal around town i can be easy and get 19. But with the new programmer and other goodies i'm never easy on the skinny.

Have you had any problems in regards to the chip on the new 6.7? Any warranty issues or has is messed with the DPF filter at all?
GoldHunter
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Wed May 13, 2009 4:07 pm

I've got the 5.9 but i've haven't heard of any problem that arn't in the norm. Most of the peoblems that i've ran across is some jackass download the HOT unlock code and blowing there injectors being idiots. And most people get the DPF delete too.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum