Upgrading to bigger tires

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Upgrading to bigger tires

Postby tklikely » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:39 pm

I have an '05 Chevy 1500 Z71 crew cab. The stock tires are 265/70 R17. I am thinking about throwing 285's on there but have some concerns. Will this void my factory warranty? I know my speedometer might be off but how much? What about gear ratios, will it be hard on the transmission? I have looked on some other forums and some people say that 265 to 285 isn't a big enough jump to really change or affect anything and others say that you should update your gear ratios, speedometer, etc. What do you guys think?
"Hey Griswold. Where do you think you're gonna put a tree that big?"
"Bend over and I'll show you."
"You've got a lot of nerve talking to me like that Griswold."
"I wasn't talking to you."
tklikely
hunter

Re: Upgrading to bigger tires

Postby ajmorell » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:45 pm

The difference between 265/70/17 and 285/70/17 is 1" in diameter (32" v. 33"). Your speedo will be off by 3.125% (33/32 - 1). Depending on your axle gear ratio and engine it will likely be fine, you might notice it a bit on the highway or towing a trailer, but probably not much around town. I wouldn't worry about gearing or anything with that small 1" jump in diameter, your speedometer will only be off by 2.1 mph @ 70 mph.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:14 am

Sounds like AJs got you covered. You may go to the dealership and see if they will reprogram you for your new tire size, most will with no trouble.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby tklikely » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:37 am

Thanks guys. I didn't think it would be a big enough jump in size to really affect anything but I wanted to make sure. I'd hate to spend that money and have it f-up my truck. I just talked to the dealership and they said that could adjust the speedo but with only a 2 mph difference at 70, I may not worry about it....it may give me an excuse if I get pulled over. :thumbsup:
"Hey Griswold. Where do you think you're gonna put a tree that big?"
"Bend over and I'll show you."
"You've got a lot of nerve talking to me like that Griswold."
"I wasn't talking to you."
tklikely
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:49 am

tklikely wrote:Thanks guys. I didn't think it would be a big enough jump in size to really affect anything but I wanted to make sure. I'd hate to spend that money and have it f-up my truck. I just talked to the dealership and they said that could adjust the speedo but with only a 2 mph difference at 70, I may not worry about it....it may give me an excuse if I get pulled over. :thumbsup:

The excuse card doesn't work.....I tried it :biggrin:
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:45 pm

ajmorell wrote:
tklikely wrote:Thanks guys. I didn't think it would be a big enough jump in size to really affect anything but I wanted to make sure. I'd hate to spend that money and have it f-up my truck. I just talked to the dealership and they said that could adjust the speedo but with only a 2 mph difference at 70, I may not worry about it....it may give me an excuse if I get pulled over. :thumbsup:

The excuse card doesn't work.....I tried it :biggrin:

Me too, three times. Only got out of one of em. :lol3:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum