Anybody Take Their Camper Shell Off for the Summer?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Anybody Take Their Camper Shell Off for the Summer?

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:54 pm

Just curious if anyone takes their cap off in the summer. I'm debating whether I'm going to take mine off or not. I definatly need it on in the fall for hunting because its a standard cab and I cant leave gear in the open bed.

How do you store your caps when they are off the truck? I cant build a rack for the yard because of lack of space, but i was thinking about hanging it in the garage from the rafters.

Also should I go all out and get rhino liner, or do I not have to worry about rust since its just the summer months. It'll be parked on an incline so water wont be sitting in the bed all day long.
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Re: Anybody Take Their Camper Shell Off for the Summer?

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:24 pm

i take mine off for sure, i actually hate caps but my rig came with one to match, so i throw it on when it starts to snow out. i have a bed liner, so i have no rust problems. i never had a liner before, but i've got to say they are awesome, i don't think i'll ever not have one again. i store my shell on gravel.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby tader » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:53 am

Yeah, Mine will only stay on the truck when needed... Usually it will just sit one blocks (next to the boat) in a empty parking lot here on base. As far as bed liners go, I don't have one... I do have a ton of scratches, gouges, and some surface rust. I am not to worried. It is a truck bed, it's suppossed to get used....
tader
hunter

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:02 pm

Mine also came with a model specific cap. It looks good with and without it. I take mine off in the spring. I too have a standard cab theyre handy in the winter for storing gear not to mention the extra weight. I figure mine weighs about 150 lbs, its not much but every little bit helps. I store it on wood blocks in my buddys barn when Im not using it. He has an old hay barn with a dirt floor that he doesnt use anymore so I store my toys there, my snowmobiles, ice shanty, the replacement front clip for my truck that Ill never get around to putting on, etc. I wish I would have had it on this winter but since I rolled my truck I dont have a passenger side mirror anymore. The cap makes changing lanes a little tricky, just throw on the turn signal and listen for a horn :yes:
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby PnR_Productions » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:19 pm

I think that most trucks look like crap with a topper on, But they are super handy! Mine goes on as soon as the early goose season rolls around just due to the fact that i can throw all of my dek's and crap in there and just lock it up, it's safe and dry. Now soon as the snow is gone i take it off so i can get my quad back in there. As for storing my topper i just set in on blocks back in the weeds next to our goose trailer...
Bed liners are nice but this is how i treat my truck, "it's meant to go, not for show" My truck is rusting out and beat but it still gets me from point A to point B (most of the time) and it pulls the boat as well
P&R Productions
2013 Count:
Too many to count ;)
Would someone please pay me to hunt cuz this college stuff takes up to much hunting time!
PnR_Productions
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum