Tire Question

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Tire Question

Postby Yellowdog » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:31 am

The f250 I just bought is going to need at least 2 tires. (It is a 2000 f250 4 x 4)
It has BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A 315/75/16.

Now here is the question. I do not need that aggressive of a tire, but since it will have 2 tires on it already, (the rear two tires look like they have about 90% tread...almost new) should I stick with the same tires, or go ahead and put a less aggressive tire on instead?

Question #2 - For those of you who run the Goodrich T/A how noisy are they on the road and how many miles will I be able to expect out of them with mostly road wear and light off road work? By the way, I will only be pulling a small boat when I pull something, so that is not an issue here.

Question #3 - If I decided on different style/brand of tires to replace the two that need replacing, will they work ok with the T/A's?

And by the way, getting 4 new tires is out of the question. I have spent all the $$ I have to get the truck and really can't afford the two tires, much less 4.

It is obvious that the truck is or has been way out of alignment. I am hoping it is not a front end problem. The right front tire is destroyed with very uneven and cupped tread. Makes for a very noisy ride, but not pulling right or left or anything. The left front tire is ok. Starting some uneven tread wear, but not bad and possibly could be saved.

Now, I could try putting one tire on the front right, sticking with the Goodrich T/A, but then I'd have one new tire across from a tire that has about 80%. Would this cause a problem with the way the truck handles and wear on the other tires, or do you think that would be a possibility?

I'd like to take all 4 off, replace the one that is bad with a like tire, and put less aggressive tires all around it. Switching when needed, but that is not a possibility at this time. I must run the tires that are there and replace only what I have to.

I really do hope it is not a front end issue and only an alignment issue, but as I do not have the truck yet, I can not find that out until later on in the week.

HELP!
Yellowdog
hunter

Re: Tire Question

Postby tader » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:49 pm

Answer - Question #1 Come to Panama City and i'll trade ya some AT's for you MT's :thumbsup:

Answer - Question #2 - I don't run them personally, but a friend runs them on his 92 7.3 idi... They are fairly noisy, but he has gotten great mileage out of them!! 60k+

Answer - Question #3 - Just stick with the BFG's...
tader
hunter

Postby Yellowdog » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:10 pm

I am thinking of all kinds of ways and combinations. I really can't afford the BFG All Terrain's. Strapped after the purchase of the truck. May go with Kumho Roadventure AT's. They are priced quite a bit cheaper and I have run Kumho's before. They did just fine.
Since writing the first post, I have found out (after looking closer) that the tires were bought about 5 years ago. There is some cracking on the tire, so I'll probably just go ahead and change em out.

Thanks for the reply.
Yellowdog
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:57 pm

Yellowdog wrote:I am thinking of all kinds of ways and combinations. I really can't afford the BFG All Terrain's. Strapped after the purchase of the truck. May go with Kumho Roadventure AT's. They are priced quite a bit cheaper and I have run Kumho's before. They did just fine.
Since writing the first post, I have found out (after looking closer) that the tires were bought about 5 years ago. There is some cracking on the tire, so I'll probably just go ahead and change em out.

Thanks for the reply.

You don't want to run two different sizes of tire left to right (I *think* that the allowable difference is something like 1%), front to back is okay as long as it isn't a full-time 4WD/AWD. Cupping can be caused by a couple things, obviously alignment being one of them, but it can also be caused by improper inflation. Are you looking for an A/T particularly? If not check out the Michelin LTX M/S. The couple people I know who have/are running them on 3/4 ton or heavier trucks love them.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Yellowdog » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:08 pm

The majority of my driving will be on paved roads. I'd say 80 % When I go hunting/fishing I have the possibility of dirt/sand. (this is Florida...one big sandstone that has been washed by the rain!)

Because of that 20% I was thinking an A/T. Are the Michelin LTX M/S good off road? And what is the cost?

By the way. Spoke to the person I bought the truck from. He said the truck is in alignment. Said the right tire was a quick replacement for one that got a stob stuck thru it. Don't know why the left is cupped. Could be because of the horrible tire on the rt. I have never seen a tire in the shape that thing is in. It looks like rolling hills and valleys all around with a pothole every once in a while.
Yellowdog
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:46 pm

Yellowdog wrote:The majority of my driving will be on paved roads. I'd say 80 % When I go hunting/fishing I have the possibility of dirt/sand. (this is Florida...one big sandstone that has been washed by the rain!)

Because of that 20% I was thinking an A/T. Are the Michelin LTX M/S good off road? And what is the cost?

By the way. Spoke to the person I bought the truck from. He said the truck is in alignment. Said the right tire was a quick replacement for one that got a stob stuck thru it. Don't know why the left is cupped. Could be because of the horrible tire on the rt. I have never seen a tire in the shape that thing is in. It looks like rolling hills and valleys all around with a pothole every once in a while.

Unless you are good friends with the guy you bought it from and/or feel you can really trust him, you might consider getting the alignment checked. There are few places that will check the alignment for like $20, so if it doesn't need one you aren't out much. As for the LTX M/S they are more of an all-season tire than an all-terrain tire, and probably don't have the best off road traction but should handle dirt/sand okay as long as you don't get into the sticky mud and stuff. Not sure on the cost of the Michelin....they aren't cheap but you do get what you pay for in that regard. Here is a link to the M/S. They also have an A/T but I haven't heard anything about it.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... el=LTX+M/S
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Yellowdog » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:05 pm

Yeah, I am planning on having the alignment checked. I think I'll try to stick with an A/T. I do enough off road that I think I may need it at times. Some of the forest roads around here are pretty rough.
Thought I'd also have the front end looked over.
Yellowdog
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:08 pm

You might also consider the Toyo Open Country A/T and the Firestone Destination A/T. I have heard good things about both. You mentioned Kumho's earlier - they are typically a pretty good tire for the price.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Yellowdog » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:06 pm

Made my decision. Going with 1 BFG M/T. I looked at the tires that are on the truck again. There is some minor cracking in between the tread on the surface of the tire. No cracking on the sidewalls that I could find. As this is a 10 ply tire, and I'll be having to change them out in about 15 or 20 thou. miles anyway, I am just going to rotate the left front to the rear and put the new on across from it. That will cost in the neighborhood of 250 to 300 to do and it will get me by for another year or so.
Much cheaper than 4 more tires of any kind (that I would run on the truck).
Yellowdog
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:12 pm

Every Ford or Dodge and even Chevrolets with solid front axles that I have owned have cuped the front tires if not rotated about every 5000 miles, Also MT tires will do this just because they like to I think :biggrin: . The problem with replacing just two and going with a different tread is when you rotate them (which you really should do to extend the life) you end up with the more agressive tires on the front which looks kind of odd. Around me ALL michelin tires are very high $$$ tires, I replaced my JUNK coopers with a set of AT toyos and they are a great tire so far and the set of 4 265/75-16's 10ply load E only set me back $650 installed. and they are the quietest tire I have ever run.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Tracker19 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:11 pm

i got over 60,000 on a set of bfg A/t's
go afeild with a good attitude , with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. it will cleanse your soul and make you a better person-Fred Bear
Tracker19
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:43 am

I just took offf the khumo ht Ventures. they lasted 85k kilometres and were a quiet smooth ride with little traction but only cost about $135
i now am using the Michelin LTX m & S and they are great handling excellent traction but noisy and expensive about $200
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby crimecrusher » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:46 pm

Having worked for a Ford dealership service dept for many years I can tell you that cupped front tires on a superduty are an indication that your ball joints have some play in them and probably need replacing. It's very common with that suspension design and most need to be replaced around 100k miles, sooner if it's been used hard. I would fix the underlying problem before putting new rubber on. Ball joints are easy to check for play if you know what your looking for. Just takes a jack and pry bar and most shops will do it for fairly cheap. The repair on the other hand may be alittle pricey if you end up replacing all ball joints, however it's usually just the lowers that end up going bad.
crimecrusher
hunter

Postby Joe01bass » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 am

if your looking for a set of all terrains look at the general grabber at2's. Honestly, when buying the bfg's your paying for the name. I am not easy on my tires (excessive burnouts and a LOT of wheeling) and I got 40,000 out of mine. I've had both the bfg at's and the generals and I would pick the generals any day hands down. They all out grab better under every condition. I've outwheeled many people on mud terrains with my little grabbers and they could never understand why, granted other things do come into play. Just my 2 cents for anybody looking for tires, at least give them a look.
Joe01bass
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum