CB Radios

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

CB Radios

Postby usmc2220 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:38 pm

Been thinking bout getting one for a long time. I know everyone's got their opinions on whats good/bad, so I could use it.

My questions are:

1. Which head units or brand should I go with?
2. Which antenna should I get?
3. Anything else needed beside the head unit and antenna?

Background:

Will be going in a 2008 GMC Sierra Work Truck, would like to just talk with truckers and get some info on speed traps, also in the woods of NC when I make it down there again to hunt with family/friends.

Thanks Guys
usmc2220
hunter

Re: CB Radios

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:51 am

I currently have a cobra and a uniden, I have also had several others including Midland. I have not had one issue with any of them and they all work the same IMO. I like the Uniden as it has a front speaker and worked great where I mounted it. I have PA's on both and the cobra is a loaded model with everything including noaa weather channels. I hardly ever turn them on unless I am on the highway. off road and hunting everyone I know uses25 mile handheld 2-ways with much clearer audio and better distance.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:12 am

I just bought a 29 LTD Cobra with Bluetooth. http://www.palcoelectronics.com/p1006589.aspx Its pretty cool. I didn't have time to tune it in but did have time to use the Bluetooth and it worked great. Talked to my mom in the states with no problems. Can't wait to get back home and tuner up.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:12 am

Oh and I bought two firestick antennas to go with it.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby blineman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:02 pm

I have had my cobra for 15 years,still working well. Lots of off road and hard bumps . I run a wilson with it anf a palomar kicker. All the same age.
Honkers 2

A Dumb Ass is someone that tries something, that will not work, change nothing, and expect differnt results.
blineman
hunter

Postby dukkiller » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:45 pm

i use francis 5 1/2 foot fiberglass whips and a galexy dx959 nice which is for sale. talks a good 30 miles
dukkiller
hunter

Postby 1ynggun » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:04 am

i have a cobra setup..cheap but works good..your main concern should be the strength of the antennas....i have two whips mounted to the tool box...or use to i guess i should say when i was in college driving I-81 every weekend...its def. entertaining...
1ynggun
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckwatcher172 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:37 pm

ive got a galixy 33 and a wilson 5000 antinna and a amp it works great talk across states. now it just sit in the closet
duckwatcher172
hunter

Postby silverbullet32 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:25 am

uniden for sure, they are cheap and reliable. make sure to get one with rf gain. also a firestik is a good tuneable and cheap antenna but baseload whips are also good. you will need coax cable if your cb doesnt come with it.
"Ain't nothin better, than duck huntin weather"

Teal- 8
Wigeon- 2
silverbullet32
hunter

Postby MO Waterfowl » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:20 am

I got a Cobra 29 ltd here, with a PA hooked up to it. Ive been happy with it so far, ive had it mounted in there for 3 years. A word of advice is dont buy the POS radio shack antennas, they suck, and thats what i have mounted on there currently. I would prefer to get a pair of firesticks instead tho.
MO Waterfowl
hunter

Postby firefighter1302 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:28 pm

Several years back i was into the CB trend(rabbit hunting, shooting skip, etc.) you can't go wrong with either of the radios mentioned(cobra, uniden, midland). I ran them all, even the handhelds. If your wanting one where you can slide(tune off frequency)(but another will have to have a similar setup) Galaxy, Ranger, Connex are the radios to go with. But if it's going to go in a truck that will be taken some type of abuse, stick with the Cobra and Unidens, the others are more sensitive. As for antenna's like also mentioned both firestick and wilsons are excellent antenna's along with skipshooters. If you go with the Galaxy type radios you will have better luck with the wilson antenna's. Or even the 102"whip. Now that you have your settup, you need to figure where you will mount your antenna, location and grounding is everything. The higher you can get the load the better transmission and reception. Prior to doing too much talking on your radio, make sure you either purchase or know some one that has an SWR meter. Here is where I usually get all my radio equipment. Hope this helps and enjoy.
http://www.copper.com/cart/
FF1302
firefighter1302
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum