Scotland Red grouse hunting

Mexico, Europe, South America, New Zealand, etc. Countries other than the US and CA.

Moderator: AAR

Scotland Red grouse hunting

Postby AAR » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:58 pm

Well I finally made it back last night after about 30 hours of travel and dealing with some real "class acts" at the US customs in Toronto. Did get the birds back and wanted to share some pics of the red grouse and red legged partridge hunt.

After arriving in Dufftown in Scotland I took in the scenery of my new environment.

The next morning it was time to meet up at a local French restaurant to head off towards the hunting ground.

The city was small but a beautiful place

As we got to the top we were now in Red grouse country! The moors are just full of heather (what the grouse feed on)

Great views to start a mornings hunt

Here is the Heather plant. That place was such an interesting type of habitat. Very sponge like and just overall a crappy kind of place to live in it were me.

These hunts are done by rough shooting or walking them up for US terminology. Each hunter is separated by an guide and all walk in as straight of a line as possible. In this pic you can see the stand for hunters doing driven grouse shoots that cost amounts of money that insane. 200 GBP per 2 birds (a brace). Imagine the bill after shooting 100 grouse!

Walking along waiting for the famous grouse to make an appearance

Here is the first red grouse for the trip, guy made a great shot and I was excited to finally see my first red grouse

Couple of action sequences for the dog picking him up

For the first drive the one hunter bagged three nice red grouse and I got the mountain hare.

On the next drive I was able to knock down two great ones right before lunch. Probably my favorite picture!

Closeup of one the grouse, really cool reddish hue those birds have. Not to hard to understand why they call them that.

Here's me holding a grouse and just enjoying the moment to hold something with so much history with it.

Nice closeup of their rump area,

Here we are in front of the days bag, 10 red grouse and some mountain hares.

Here are my three from the trip, great start to the Scotland trip for sure.

Hope you enjoy, many more editions to come

Eric
It's not just a bird mount, it's a Schmitty Bird Mount
AAR
Forum Moderator

Re: Scotland Red grouse hunting

Postby AAR » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:59 pm

A few more of Mr. Red. Can't wait to mount these guys up!

Nice feathering on the belly, each one had varying marks here especially.

Head shot showing the eye combs.

Different pose for the birds on the over/under.

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby thor » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:18 pm

Thats some great fotos you have posted, looks like you had some good days in Scotland whit the grouse and hare, would like to go hunt them myself someday.

Thor
2-Roebuck
21-mallards
1- Gadwall
2- Woodpigeon
1- crow
1- magpie
1- rook
thor
hunter

Postby AAR » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:15 am

Was looking through my photos and realized I never posted any mount pics here as a follow up to the hunt pics. Here is a dead strap from the species taken in Scotland on an early season hunt. Going early was mainly for the Red grouse but already excited to do a later winter hunt to go after the full plumage teal/wigeon/tufted/pochard/scaup/etc.

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Return to International Duck Hunting