Australia Duck Opening

Mexico, Europe, South America, New Zealand, etc. Countries other than the US and CA.

Moderator: AAR

Australia Duck Opening

Postby sloe » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:35 am

G'day Boys,

An interesting perspective on the garbage we have to put up with at duck opening here in Victoria.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/duck-p ... 6024497084

Makes interesting reading. By the way, the kid didnt do it. He has been total exonerated of all claims and the protesters tried to make a citizens arrest on two other hunters before targeting this young fella.

We have what is called 'human saftey regulations' that are designed to protect both hunters and protesters. Unfortunatly, our law enforcement agencies choose not to pursue protesters with the same zeal that they check hunters

Good Hunting

Sloe
sloe
hunter

Re: Australia Duck Opening

Postby duckkillerclyde » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:56 am

I want to get a duck rescue hat for my dog to wear.
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby Lake O Hunter » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:15 am

Wow, I am sorry you guys have to deal with that...I thought it got bad in Florida sometimes!
Lake O Hunter
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:05 pm

What happens in florida that gets so bad?? Most places I hunt people wouldnt think twice about protesting or messing with us. I have seen what you all deal with and I am sorry that it gets so bad in Australia. Keep on hunting and enjoying it. Are bird numbers as low as they say there??
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:33 am

Sloe,
Thanks for posting this. I have some questions:

How did the gun explode, was the barrel blocked?
What brand/ model shotgun was it?
Why was the protester so close?
What Hunter Defence orgs do you all have in Australia?
Is anyone taking these protesters to court?
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby Lake O Hunter » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:11 am

KAhunter wrote:What happens in florida that gets so bad?? Most places I hunt people wouldnt think twice about protesting or messing with us. I have seen what you all deal with and I am sorry that it gets so bad in Australia. Keep on hunting and enjoying it. Are bird numbers as low as they say there??

We have constant efforts to get places closed to hunting, especially bird hunting; most new public land management starts with the assumption of closed to hunting and hunters have to fight to get land opened to hunting.
Lake O Hunter
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:28 pm

That sucks that you have to deal with that. Keep fighting for your rights. I believe duck hunting will always be a great tradition in the US but we cant be complacent.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby breckenmore » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:06 pm

It's ashame that you have to put up with that kind of thing down there. Wonder if you could bring a civil suit against the organization that is organizing these people for money lost while legally pursuing game. That's how they got rid of the KKK's power here in the states, by attacking their finances. Personnaly I think they should be added to the bag limit.
Treasurer- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

<https://www.facebook.com/groups/427747860594042>
breckenmore
hunter

Postby sloe » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:00 am

VaTailfeathers wrote:How did the gun explode, was the barrel blocked?
What brand/ model shotgun was it?
Why was the protester so close?
What Hunter Defence orgs do you all have in Australia?
Is anyone taking these protesters to court?

Tailfeathers, two separate stories in the same article, I don't know about the gun exploding, it was totally unrelated to the protester being hit with the stray pellets.

Although we have hunter safety regulations that prevent protesters entering a wetland prior to 10am on both the Sat and Sunday of opening weekend and prohibit them from going within 10m of a hunter, our law enforcement agencies have tended in the past not to pursue protesters into the water and occasionally they will apprehend them as they leave the water. Where this incident happened it is a large lake, much of it wadeable. Hunters tend to be mobile, not using decoys and would normally stand by available cover when a bird is taken, a hunter would walk out to retrieve and move onto the next bit of cover. This lake probably had 2000+ hunters on opening day and somewhere near 150 protesters. The protesters wade and paddle kayaks while waving flags and blowing whistles in an attempt to prevent hunters taking a bird. If a hunter downs a bird, then it becomes a race between hunter and protester to get to the bird. The protesters tend to move in groups of 3 or 4 and single out a hunter where they will at times be no more than a meter from the hunter. The women have the foulest mouths you will ever hear! Obviously a hunter has tried to dispatch a wounded bird on the water and this women has be unfortunate enough to be in the line of fire.

We currently have two organisations, the Sporting Shooters Association of Australia who encompass all facets of firearm ownership and use and Field and Game Australia which is solely a shotgun organisation focused on duck hunting. Unfortunately duck hunting in Australia does not have the support that you have in the US. The legislation is there to protect hunters but our government and law enforcement agencies have not had the will to have this enforced. A recent change of state government to a more conservative party may see some changes in the future. Later in our season a number of protesters were arrested and charged and as yet, have not been to court.

The protesters get their funding from government conservation grants, animal rights groups (including some from US) and our national Society to the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA). If you want to see what the protesters get up to, check out their web site www.duck.org.au
sloe
hunter

Postby Lake O Hunter » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:32 am

I thought opening day in FL was circus that really is one....sorry to hear about that sloe.
Lake O Hunter
hunter

Postby sloe » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:24 am

It's a circus if you happen to be on the wetland they target.They will generally target only one wetland and only on weekends.Their numbers reduce after the opening weekend to the hardcore of 25 to30 even then they can wreck a good mornings hunting.At times they have pulled down a constructed hide while the hunter stands in it.You have got to have good self control.Anyway we are going to have the best hunting season next year for 30 years so that will really pee them off.Just got to keep telling them everone you pinch is another one I can shoot.
sloe
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:28 pm

When will people learn, Im glad that lady got what was coming to her.
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby sloe » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:00 am

The season has just opened again, you know that season that I mentioned that was going to be the best in 30 years. Well didn't happen, as 2 weeks prior to the opening weekend, big flooding rains to the North of Victoria i.e. New South Wales and 90% of the ducks in Vic up and left. Our ducks here do not migrate like yours in America ours will travel the length of Aust, just on climate and habitat conditions. Some may return before the end of the season we live in hope.Most of the crew I hunt with managed to get the bag on opening morning although one of the party did not take a bird on the opening morning. But this is well above the average for the whole state and it has been tough hunting since one or to birds the norm.

Our animal libbers were out again although their numbers were down due to the fact that they all had to sign a disclaimer due to no insurance cover. The woman who copped it in the face last opening found out that she had no cover and had to foot the bills herself plus the enforcenment agencies have finally got a few into court one protester was charged with failing to destroy a wounded bird. A hunter is required by law to kill a wounded bird as soon as it is retrieved this idiot had picked up this injured bird and was carrying it about the swamp supposedly taking it to a vet aid station when he was intercepted by a wildlife officer, still waiting for the result on this one.

Attached a couple of pics, the species L-R are: Male Blue Wing Shovler, Pink Ear, Female and Male Chestnut Teal and the last two are Black Duck.
Attachments
DSC_0017.JPG
DSC_0012.JPG
sloe
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:37 am

Keep up the good fight over there, glad we don't have to put up with that stuff here.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Lake O Hunter » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:52 am

Congrats on the successful hunt; glad the anti's were a little less this year!
Lake O Hunter
hunter

Return to International Duck Hunting