Duck Hunting Forum banner

Trophy bird hunting in Peru

13K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Big5 
#1 ·
Returned recently from a great trip in Peru, 15 species all together. Did the first 3 days in the mountains ranging from 13,000 to 16,000 feet! Then did the coast for a couple of days to pick up some different birds.

First bird of the trip, a great Andean goose

Sharpwinged teal, similar to the speckled of Argentina but different coloring, bigger, and lives about 14,000 feet higher

Wing of a crested duck, may be drab overall but a killer wing on them

Andean Ruddy duck and giant coot, both are like supersized versions of our birds

Puna teal and cinnamon

The main event, the Torrent duck

Yellow billed pintail showing the elevation he was shot at

Select batch of of Cinnamons, Peru has the largest race of them in the world

Nice coastal mixed bag, a plumbeous rail, andean coot, cinnamon hen and three white cheeked pintails

Thanks for looking,

Eric

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes with an outfitter. It not being where everybody thinks to go like those other places and with totally different species is why I liked and recommend it :beer:

Eric

#5 ·
Spent 2 days on the coast. It was the plan to leave the mountains after 3 days if everything was checked off the list, if not then do the hunt in a 4/1 split. Quite a few species on the coast as well but overall I think the 3/2 is a great option to experience everything with both the birds and cultural aspects.

Eric

#6 ·
A few more pics to share:

Those rails are pretty cool, like our clapper and common gallinule mixed

Their "Perdiz" are the Ornate Tinamou, bigger than one's found in Argentina. Quite an abundant bird very much like hunting super sized quail

One of the first views after arriving and getting ready to start the drive into the mountains

Eric

#11 ·
Holding one last bird before coming down the mountain on the last day. Just insanely gorgeous birds especially for the goose world

You can't beat wings that look like that, real nice purple on them.

I was really happy to have found this guy on the first day and worked out to get a really nicely feathered bird to mount

After a long trek to get these guys it was great to get a species I was really hoping to get

This is me on the left walking towards an area with different species of coot, we got an andean coot there but were mainly looking for the red-fronted coot.

With a place so rich in diversity like it is, I hope to go again soon to go after a few I didn't get like a couple species of tinamou, seedsnipe, red fronted coot, and another rail species. Thinking of doing the hunt the outfitter also does in northern Peru for a different type of torrent plus comb ducks, muscovey's, orinoco geese, among other ones that I got on the southern trip, plus a whole mess of different perdiz/doves/pigeons.

Eric

#13 ·
Same process as any other country, nothing on CITIES and nothing on importing except on the mammal side with an endangered species of deer and things like Jaguar, Ocelot, etc.

Eric

#14 ·
Wanted to post the dead straps I did from the trip. First is a dead strap that represents all of the great species taken on the coastal areas.

The mountain area still amazes me to this day to have such variety in what would seem to be a barren place. I will be doing some single mounts of course but wanted something to really capture the mountain portion of the trip.

For anyone looking to extend their bird hunting season into this summer for species that very very few people have in their collections you cannot beat that trip hands down!

Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.