Bringing Birds back to the USA

Mexico, Europe, South America, New Zealand, etc. Countries other than the US and CA.

Moderator: AAR

Bringing Birds back to the USA

Postby Centralflyway » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:26 pm

I did a search to see if this was posted anywhere else on here, but it said no posts or post containing this. So......how do you bring birds back into the USA say from Peru or Africa? Can they be brought back whole frozen? Can they be brought back skinned, cleaned and salted? And if so, can they be brought back by the hunter or do you have to have a USDA permit or send them to a taxidermist that does? Any info would help. Also, I did go to the USFW website and you might as well have been trying to read a non existant language to understand what they said !!! LOL
Centralflyway
hunter

Re: Bringing Birds back to the USA

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:11 pm

Birds being brough in to the U.S. have to come to an USDA approved facility. An individual can bring them back but they have to go to an approved facility upon arrival. You declare them on your customs declaration and have a filled out 3-177 form from your approved facility that the customs in turn fill out a 16-78 form and distributes it to the USDA, Customs and the approved facility. The 3-177 forms go to the USF&W for approval and you may or may nopt hear from them unless you have a CITES protected bird, then you probably will. Peru and Africa are considered Hot countries for diseases and whether you skin, salt or freeze whole they will have to be processes and de-toxed at an apporved facility. Talk to you taxidermist and see if he is on the approved facility list or contact the USDA for approved facilities in your area. Also if you come through certain Ports Of Entry you may be forced to use a Custom's Broker which is expensive and needs to be set up in advance to make sure your birds are handled correctly and get into a freezer rather than sit in a warehouse for severla days and spoil. They aren't responsible or don't care if they rot or not sadly. Ask Duxrus on the site for his recent nightmare. P.M. me if you need any more information.

These guys learned the hard way.
http://www.fws.gov/midwest/news/release.cfm?rid=8
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby cootlover » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:27 pm

I am glad they got caught thats alot of money for crappy taxidermy :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:09 am

Well wait a minute.....
The article seems to say that guys went hunting in Brazil and brought back birds to mount with a local guy (did I miss something?)
They may have skipped the "declaring" step, but what is that for anyway? A fee?
How are they poachers?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:46 am

Yes you did miss something. They brought back birds from Argentina, said so in the first sentence, and did not declare them at U.S.Customs. when filling out the immigration form. Then they took them to a unapproved USDA taxidermist that knew they were smuggled into the U.S. Obviously someone blew the whistle on the taxidermist or individuals and the USF&W got involved. Broke the Customs, USDA and USF&W laws pretty obviously.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Return to International Duck Hunting