NZ Hunting?

Mexico, Europe, South America, New Zealand, etc. Countries other than the US and CA.

Moderator: AAR

NZ Hunting?

Postby duckman27 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:43 pm

I am looking at studying abroad for a semster in New Zealand next spring, 2014, and was wondering what the hunting opportunities there are? I've look on the NZ Game and Fish website and it looks like they have very liberal limits as far as waterfowl goes
duckman27
hunter

Re: NZ Hunting?

Postby glass eye » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18 pm

You won't have any problems over there, plenty of public land hunting and even private land is easy to get permission to hunt waterfowl. Kiwi's are very helpful, don't be afraid to ask.
glass eye
hunter

Postby nzduckhunter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:32 am

I live in Hawkes Bay a great place on the east cost of NZ, If you want any info, just let me know. And if you are coming through this way. I'm happy to sort out a shoot for you at either my pond or a mates spot. and if you are doing a bit of a tour around the islands
Im quite sure we could set up shooting in other parts of the country. Regards Tony
Just because you haven't done something, doesn't mean its not worth trying.
nzduckhunter
hunter

Postby glass eye » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:59 am

AirNZ has just begun charging a handling fee for firearms....$150 USD EACH WAY...and EACH LEG of the trip. That's $300 roundtrip to Auckland, and $600 RT if you're going to Christchurch. :no:
We need to email complaints and tell them that we will use other airlines such as V australia.
glass eye
hunter

Postby nzduckhunter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:53 pm

Air NZ needs to wake up, they are not the only air line, just another revenue gathering tool while they continue to lay off hundreds of staff here. With those charges you are better of getting a rental car and driving around. If need be i'm sure we could locate a gun or two for you to use. Best of luck planing your trip, and tell air NZ to get stuffed :mad:
nzduckhunter
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:49 pm

I was considering just buy a gun when I got to NZ and then either selling it or bringing it back depending on the charges. All I have to do is keep a good GPA through the rest of this semester and then i'll be headed that way in February of 2014 :thumbsup:

Another question: What all is there to hunt in NZ other than waterfowl? I've heard there is great turkey hunting?
duckman27
hunter

Postby nzduckhunter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:43 pm

Yip Turkeys every where, on the side of the roads, farmers paddocks. bloody things.
South island there is Thar, Chamois, deer, wallaby, pigs, and the good old Canada geese. North Island has Deer, both reds and sika, Canada geese, wild pigs, and there is a two week special season on parry's. so plenty to hunt at that time of the year. i'm sure I've missed some but we have loads of game to have a crack at. You will want to plan ahead for bigger game though.
nzduckhunter
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:16 am

I've got anther question :lol3:

Do y'all kill many of the New Zealand Shovelers? They seem like a beautiful bird
duckman27
hunter

Postby glass eye » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:38 pm

duckman27 wrote:I've got anther question :lol3:

Do y'all kill many of the New Zealand Shovelers? They seem like a beautiful bird

The season on spoonies is short and the daily limit is only 1 or 2. When hunting you'll only see 1 or 2 at a time. However, I counted 24 drakes ( didn't count the hens) on a sewer pond where you can't shoot.
Attachments
IMGA0169.JPG
glass eye
hunter

Postby nzduckhunter » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:13 am

Yip Spoonies are a great looking bird, i'm still trying to get a nice one to mount
But nice bird anyway.
nzduckhunter
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:27 am

there are hunt clubs in some of the universities here now too. they are starting to get in some good animals, check out the place you are looking at to find them. Christchurch has one and Dunedin may too.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Return to International Duck Hunting