Iceland

Mexico, Europe, South America, New Zealand, etc. Countries other than the US and CA.

Moderator: AAR

Iceland

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:23 am

Had a nice trip to Iceland with my oldest son, Patrick. A beautiful place to hunt. We had wonderful shooting, but missed the Barnacles as they had left for Scotland with an early winter storm. Still a lot of Graylags, Pinkfoots and ducks around.

Bonus was a band my son killed on a Graylag. This was put on by the Iceland DNR at least 7 years ago.

Close-up.

Not to be denied, I killed this one that had been banded in the UK.

Patrick started out with a triple on Graylags.

Nice adult Graylag. Many were pushing 10 pounds.

We hunted mostly barley fields.

Whooper Swans were constantly decoying.

i have more pictures, but haven't put them on file yet.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

great

Postby paduckkiller » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:40 pm

Great pics, if you don't mind me asking, what does trip like that cost?
paduckkiller
hunter

cost

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:48 pm

Most are around 3K for a week. Ours was with a friend that comes and hunts with me in Arkansas. It's a trip worth taking for sure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

thanks

Postby paduckkiller » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:03 am

Thanks for the info. That's not bad at all, I would have thought it to be alot higher in price.
paduckkiller
hunter

Postby AAR » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:23 am

I have been waiting for some pics from that trip to come up :thumbsup: Looks like an awesome place. Those banded birds seem to follow you around :biggrin:
Something I noticed was on a few pics of the grey lags were minute speckling like on a white front, is that something common for the species? Guess from pictures I've always looked at them standing you never really get to see the belly.

Can't wait to see some more, too bad they have birds like the whooper and eiders protected.

Eric

http://www.AliveAgainRecreations.com
--Specializing in Waterfowl & Upland Bird Taxidermy--
-----World/International/National/State Awards--------
AAR
Forum Moderator

Graylags

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:23 pm

We were told those were old birds, but I half suspect it may be genetic. I've read spotting on the belly is rarely obvious, but we killed quite a few that were rather uniquely marked that way. I was surprised at how light bellied some were. We killed several Eurasian wigeons and Greenwings that were close to full plumage, but were probably a month off from being what I would call impressive. The Greenland race of Mallards we killed were larger and darker than ours and the Icelandic Mallards were intermediate in size. It was an interesting trip and i plan on going back next year. We missed the Barnacles and only killed one, but it was a nice one. The geese jump and go to Scotland with a hard north wind if it blows for a couple of days and we had a week of that. Saw lots of Greenland Whitefronts and several with neck collars. The Pink-foots are better eating and more highly prized by the locals than the others species. The country reminds me of New Zealand sans the vegetation.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckdestroyer89 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:53 pm

Pictures are great especially those swans. Is the 3k lodging and licenses and the likes. And around how much was a plane ticket because that seems like the biggest buzz kill on any trip
duckdestroyer89
hunter

Postby Stjani » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:16 pm

Hi all

it canĀ“t be expensive now, due to the great fall of our currency, but hunting here is very nice.

you are all :welcome: to Iceland
Stjani
hunter

Postby AAR » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:33 pm

Welcome to the forum :welcome: It would be cool to hunt out there and get into those geese :thumbsup:

Eric
It's not just a bird mount, it's a Schmitty Bird Mount
AAR
Forum Moderator

Re: Iceland

Postby VaTailfeathers » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:33 am

Their limits are very liberal and plenty of tundra. Theres a guy who posts on that other site on the duck hunting forum and posts a lot of great photos and info. He also hunts seals and has his Labs retrieve them, incredible. Their seasons are opposite from ours, so a July 4th hunt is possible. I wonder what a non res/non citizen license costs?
TF
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:07 pm

Iceland is in the Northern Hemisphere and their seasons are the same as ours. Argentina, etc. is the opposite.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby eiderman1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:20 am

Great pictures and it is good to hear how other countries hunt and the species that they have.
eiderman1
hunter

Return to International Duck Hunting