Who wants to get something going for Argentina?

Mexico, Europe, South America, New Zealand, etc. Countries other than the US and CA.

Moderator: AAR

Who wants to get something going for Argentina?

Postby AAR » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:45 pm

Been talking with a guide that has some good daily rates and accommodations. About $250-$350 a day less than others, plus he allows you to shoot swans down there and hunts different areas so you can get three types of partridge. Right now the laws on things have gotten weird on bringing stuff back but when/if it works out I'm looking to go down. Most outfitters have stopped doing goose hunts but there are still areas where legal and this guy still runs hunts in the legal areas so another couple of birds that are likely unavailable with many other outfitters. Likely once the export regs go back to normal so will the goose hunting restrictions.
Anyway, figured I would throw that out there for future reference. Through a conversation last year with a taxidermist I do birds for, found out he has the USDA import permit. When he called to ask if I had time to do a batch from Argentina it then dawned on me why he had so many foreign mammals :wink:

Eric
It's not just a bird mount, it's a Schmitty Bird Mount
AAR
Forum Moderator

Re: Who wants to get something going for Argentina?

Postby todd6420 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:29 pm

I'm interested! My dad and brother would be to. Just let me know.
todd6420
hunter

Postby kdanford » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:46 pm

Planning to go in the next few years myself, taking my son as a H.S. graduation gift. Would be interested in which outfitter you are interested in. I am concerned at this point about not being able to bring back birds, unless you sneak them back though. Hopefully in the next year the regs down there will change. PM me with more info when you get the chance.
kdanford
hunter

Postby AAR » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:09 pm

Will definetly be keeping tabs on the getting birds back situation. So many great species it would be a shame only to be allowed 5 to bring back.

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby Down East Guide » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:04 pm

I've been hosting a trip down there for the past 4 years and am trying to get a group together for this year. The outfitter we use is "top shelf". Drop me an e mail at info@pamlicoguide.com

This is not a "cheap" trip in either sense of the word, but it is done right and this year it is about "cheaper" (less expensive) than it has been in the past.

Capt. George Beckwith
www.pamlicoguide.com
Tight lines, calm seas and God Bless,
Down East Guide
hunter

Postby AAR » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:53 am

kdanford wrote:Planning to go in the next few years myself, taking my son as a H.S. graduation gift. Would be interested in which outfitter you are interested in. I am concerned at this point about not being able to bring back birds, unless you sneak them back though. Hopefully in the next year the regs down there will change. PM me with more info when you get the chance.

Sorry for the delay, shooting you a pm now :thumbsup:

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:12 pm

Eric, sent you and e-mail with some informatiuon that might interest you. Glad I'm stock-piled.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby AAR » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:04 am

Haven't gotten anything Pat?

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:41 am

Has your personal e-mail changed? I will resend to your business address. E-mail me when you get the chance. Leave for Mexico and an Ocellated hunt today. Will get in touch when I return. Remember both Swans are CITES listed also.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby AAR » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:17 pm

personal email same as always, did get the article in the webpage email address. Why does MN fish and game care about 10 birds from Argentina they brought back to mount up? That just seems odd, especially since the birds mentioned aren't even on the list for the migratory bird act. I am guessing they didn't have the import permits for entering the US? From what I understand it is getting the birds on the plane leaving Argentina and then whatever birds people typically bring back are still fine like in the past (not just the 2 each of 5 species as dictated by the new Argentina export laws).

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby Down East Guide » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:22 pm

The airlines have been a pain, American refused to fly "trophies" and would not allow them on a trip two years ago, despite having all of the paperwork on both ends.
Down East Guide
hunter

Postby AAR » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:29 pm

I had heard that too, something about the mighty avian flu scare :fingerhead: My question would be why many airlines are still charging extra for bags since the gas has gone back to normal level for quite some time now...

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon May 04, 2009 10:17 am

AAR wrote:personal email same as always, did get the article in the webpage email address. Why does MN fish and game care about 10 birds from Argentina they brought back to mount up? That just seems odd, especially since the birds mentioned aren't even on the list for the migratory bird act. I am guessing they didn't have the import permits for entering the US? From what I understand it is getting the birds on the plane leaving Argentina and then whatever birds people typically bring back are still fine like in the past (not just the 2 each of 5 species as dictated by the new Argentina export laws).

Eric

Actually no species of Teal are legal to bring back even with an Argentine permit, no White-cheeks, Brazilians, Black-heads, Lake Ducks, Masked Ducks et.al. Only Rosybills, Chiloes, Red Shovelers, Brown Pintails and White-faced Whistling ducks are allowed and two of each with an expensive permit and one that is lengthy in obtaining. It took a friend of mine 3 days and then AA wouldn't let them on even though bird flu hasn't been identified in Argentina. If the USF&W knows this then herein a problem lies, if the Mn. guys didn't declare them at customs then it's another flag, if the taxidermist wasn't on the approved list it's another ad nasuem. I suspect someone was jealous that someone had something they didn't an dropped a dime on them.

Another red flag has arisen. 15,000 cases of Dengue Fever has been reported in Argentina this year so far. It's a nasty little plague is often called Bonebreaker Fever. Check Google for details on this nasty little bug. Also many areas I've hunted previously are in drought conditions this year. All this coupled with Swine Flu in Mexico might see us not hunting south of Laredo!

I'm glad to have experienced all the trips I've taken there but have seen a lot of things change with the duck hunting and goose shooting. Nothing last forever it seems.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Down East Guide » Mon May 04, 2009 12:26 pm

Yep, just too many hoops, I've pretty much given up on bringing birds back, just shooting and eating plenty while I'm down there.....although a good Argentinean steak and bottle of Malbec ain't bad either.

We've been hunting around San Javier, and despite last year's drought, we had good hunting in the delta/river/marshes, going to blinds by boat.....no long walks.

We deal with the Dengue in Costa Rica and Central America, wear mosquito repellent, especially when in areas where there are some cases. In Costa Rica, there is more Dengue during droughts than when there is plenty of rain, perhaps the subsiding drought in Argentina will stifle the outbreak, which is very seasonal.

George
Down East Guide
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon May 04, 2009 12:52 pm

I'm with you and suspect the drought concentrated the skeeters. Don't want any part of it either. I brought home in the past all there is pretty much and have a bunch still frozen in water to keep me busy. It's a shame things have gotten the way they are now. But boy, I remember the days of the tremendous goose shoots!

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby manitobawoj » Mon May 18, 2009 10:10 am

Pat, looking forward to hunting with you this fall in Manitoba! You would not believe the amount of water here. I'm sure you talked to Ramsey about the sandbagging going on while he was up for spring snows. I just finished up with clients on the 9th and have been hunting myself. I think I'm going to do one more on Thursday and maybee put the gear away for summer.
I would like to talk to you about Iceland when you are up this fall.
manitobawoj
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue May 19, 2009 7:14 am

Looking forward to the fall. Just got some unique pictures from my friend in Iceland. A nice drake Gargany and a Brant with triple leg bands and a transmitter among other things. Also a leucistic Graylag. We'll talk.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby manitobawoj » Wed May 20, 2009 8:07 am

10-4 , one more snow goose hunt tommorrow and it's time to put the gear away for 3 months.
manitobawoj
hunter

Postby The Real Waterfowler » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:00 pm

AAR -

Let me know if you have any interest in some of the more rare species on the southern end of the continent. I know some people who could put you on some unique birds. Very few collectors have them. I've never even seen them on forums like these.
The Real Waterfowler
Newb

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:08 am

Bronze-wings? Would be a shame to kill them and not be able to get them out. Details and locations if you can, p.m. me.
We brought back birds this year, but not everyone was able to do so.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby THE TRUE WATERFOWLER » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:23 pm

AAR,

I will set up a trip for you if you can get 3 or 4 others to commit (that way I get to go for free). Send me a PM.

TTW
Killin' and grillin' since the sixties
THE TRUE WATERFOWLER
hunter

Postby AAR » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:49 pm

That sounds like a good deal :huh: Maybe split the savings amongst the group then we'll talk :hammer:

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:07 pm

I would be very interested in a trip if someone needs some additional people. I've been trying to pull one together for a while but am having trouble finding people with interest combined with the cash. It'll be a good excuse to brush up on my spanish too. :)

Cheers.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby THE TRUE WATERFOWLER » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:38 pm

Sorry AAR, just wanted to be honest and upfront about it. That's the only way I can afford to go!I've had to learn taxidermy just to be able to have the birds I've collected mounted.

TTW
Killin' and grillin' since the sixties
THE TRUE WATERFOWLER
hunter

Postby AAR » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:09 pm

Back to my original topic, if I do get a group together to go down there I will take the savings I would be getting and divide amonst the other hunters. That should take away costs for a day of hunting per person. I get many of those offers in regards to getting 4 people to hunt and I get to hunt for free but has never set right with me IMO for what it's worth.

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to International Duck Hunting