Is there a list or website???

Mexico, Europe, South America, New Zealand, etc. Countries other than the US and CA.

Moderator: AAR

Is there a list or website???

Postby mtduck » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:23 pm

That will tell me which bird species can be legally brought back from which countries in Europe. I know about CITES...is that it?

My job is going to require me to get to London every six weeks. I would love to take some side trips this fall/winter but want to make sure I will be able to bring a tripple banded pochard or anything else back home.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys.....
mtduck
hunter

Re: Is there a list or website???

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:34 am

CITES is a good start. If a bird is listed CITES I it is virtually impossible to legally bring them into the states. CITES II and III has some lee-way depending on where they were obtained. The internet has a list for all CITES listed animals. You will also need a hunting license/permit from the country in case you are asked for it by the USF&W once you return to the U.S. to prove it was legally taken during a legal season. Some countries like New Zealand, Argentina, et.al., have export permits also so check on that in the country you are hunting. It's better to have all this if asked. Sometimes it isn't asked for by and agent, but could be a stumbling block it you don't have all the bases covered. You will need an U.S.D.A. approved recipient for the birds/animals to go to upon returning to the U.S. They are listed at customs for their reference and also on the net. A lot of taxidermists that do a lot of international birds have this permit and can supply the 3-177 form that is needed upon return to the U.S.

If you cross all the t's and dot all the i's you shouldn't have any problem. It would be a shame to collect specimens and then have them held or confiscated due to a snafu in some paper-work so do your homework on both sides of the pond. I once saw a group of hunters have all their Ocellated Turkeys, 9 of them I think, confiscated when they didn't have correct licenses from a shady outfitter in Mexico, that already had their money, as they came through customs in front of me. I'm sure it left a sour taste in their stomach when we virtually walked through with our birds.

If I can help or if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Return to International Duck Hunting