weight lifting

Discussion of football, baseball, hockey, basketball, Nascar, etc..

Moderators: gotduck68415, HoCoHunter

weight lifting

Postby tealslayerblw » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:32 pm

i know this should probably go into the sporting section, but i really want a lot of responces, and i would really appreciate it. I have been lifting for a few months now, and today i was told that i should go with low reps, high weight, in order to build muscle mass, and high reps low weight to increase endurence etc. so my question to you guys, is first off, is this the way to go about it? and secondly how many low reps, high weight sets should i do, thanks for the responces :salude: :salude:
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:50 pm

You need to identify what you are tyring to accomplish
1. Bulk muscle
or
2. Endurance.

For #1 two reps of 10 @ 80% Maximum with a 5 min break between reps. Working each of your major muscle groups (lats, pecs, bicepts/tricpets, abs, glutes, theighs, calfs). If you are doing it right the first set will be fairly easy, the second set you should struggle and the last few.

For #2 I wouldn't worry about weights, you should be more focused on cardiovascular excersizes. Jump rope, excercise bike, tread mill, stairs.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:21 pm

the advice you received was correct. low reps, high weight for mass and high reps low weight to tone, or "cut". boom is right though, identify what you want to accomplish 1st. then plan your workout accordingly. muscle rebuilds itself completely between 6-7 days. so for mass you'll want to work out different groups of muscles once a week. with toning, you can work those groups 2 to 3 times a week (depending on how many total workout days a week you plan on doing). below are a couple of examples.

mass:
chest and triceps on one day.
legs and abs one day.
back and biceps on the next.
legs and abs one day.
cardio

this workout will allow the muscle groups to "rebuild" for almost a week after your tear them down. legs and abs you don't want to bulk up so you work them more frequently. on the bench press (incline, decline, or flat) i used a pyramid set for reps. 8 - 6 - 4 - 2- 4 - 6 - 8. i would start with 2 plates (235lbs) 8 times, 2 plates & 10lb (255lbs) 6 times, 2 plates & 25 (285lbs) 4 times, and 3 plates (305lbs) 2 times then work your way in reverse order back up to 2 plates (225lbs) 8 times. the weight doesn't matter but try and get to your max weight (or 90% of it) by the 2 reps set. then you can do dips, dumbells, etc. to focus on your triceps. on the back and biceps use similar pyramid with shoulder press, curls, dead lifts, power cleans, etc. trying to reach (90-100%) of your max on the 2 set.

i would use a similar workout to what boom mentioned for the toning set. do 2 sets of 8-10 on each exercise and work each group multiple times a week.

upper body on mondays and wednesdays
lower body on tuesdays and thursdays
abs all week.

hth and let me know if you need any more information.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:33 pm

i have a question for you weight lifters..

what sort of shape will i be in if i continue my current workout regime of a high number of 12oz reps.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Ducxprt » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:36 pm

I do a fairly intense workout every other day of the week. I start with 40 min. cardio (usualy on a eliptical machine) and then I do what is called Strive Trining at my local YMCA, that is a complete body workout that works the whole body, for this I do moderate weight with alot of reps (more weight and reps depending on the muscle at the time). Then I go back to the cardio for another 20-30 min. and finish up with a 20 min sesion of streching. This workout is for what some call a chisseled look (but I am by no means that).
TALK EM INTO GIVING UP
Ducxprt
hunter

Postby tealslayerblw » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:54 pm

im going for mainly mass, if that helps any, what kind of rep set should i be doing nightly?
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby Ducxprt » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:05 pm

Swamp Puppy wrote:i have a question for you weight lifters..

what sort of shape will i be in if i continue my current workout regime of a high number of 12oz reps.

bump it up to 24oz reps for best results haha
TALK EM INTO GIVING UP
Ducxprt
hunter

Postby Ducxprt » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:06 pm

tealslayerblw wrote:im going for mainly mass, if that helps any, what kind of rep set should i be doing nightly?

more weight less reps
TALK EM INTO GIVING UP
Ducxprt
hunter

Postby gcbowhunter » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:14 pm

muscles only do two things...get bigger or get smaller. your muscles dont get "cut". that only comes from losing body fat. you have to work your muscles to a point of fatigue to get results, it doesn't matter if you get there doing 100 reps or light weight or 10 reps of heavy weight.
gcbowhunter
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:57 pm

gcbowhunter wrote:muscles only do two things...get bigger or get smaller. your muscles dont get "cut". that only comes from losing body fat. you have to work your muscles to a point of fatigue to get results, it doesn't matter if you get there doing 100 reps or light weight or 10 reps of heavy weight.

Thats what boom and the others were saying. More weight and less reps to build the muscle. When the muscle is established and you do less weight and more reps its more of an aerobic deal to burn fat which in turn helps to define muscle.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby jjohnson_714 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:23 pm

go with a 8, 6, 4, 2 set doing more weight at each level. example bench 185 8 times, then go with 195 6 times, and so on... you shouldnt be able to do the last 2 by yourself so make sure you have a GOOD spotter :thumbsup: this used to work with us when i used to care about building muscle mass and was used by guys that were a lot bigger than me :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby arizonaduckhunter13 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:07 pm

with everybody above me...high weight low reps at least 5...low weight high reps 15-20

Heavy, Low reps=Mass

Light, High reps=Endurance,being cut

Just got back from the gym myself try not to work more than 2 muscles a day and dont work the same one within 1 1/2 or 2 days of your last workout...for mass just take some whey protein and bulk up on foods with alot of protein in them and it will help you gain mass faster. :thumbsup:
I'll call you my hunting partner when you jump into freezing water to get my ducks
arizonaduckhunter13
hunter

Postby H20 fowl » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:14 pm

tealslayer im in the same boat as you, but ive tried this a few other times and noticed minimal changes but this time i got serious and researched more and the one thing i learned was i wasnt getting enought protein, so i increased my protein almost 3x's with the help of shakes and i also take creatine and glutamine but if your looking for more mass and not getting all ripped up stick with high weight and low reps and extremely low cardio and eat everything in your path
H20 fowl
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:28 pm

:withstupid: I love to lift, when I'm not working but JJ has the right workout for MASS and HUGH MASS. When I went to the dessert I hit weight hard and all you have to do there is work and workout so here what I did. First I started off at a max of 185 and in four months went to 285 yes ONE HUNDRED pounds in four months. My supervisor just happend to be a personal trainer anyhow here goes: you want to go 8-6-4-2 and a NEGATIVE, Do you know what a negative is? If so ask. Now you can go as hard as you or your body will go I started off going up alot pounds starting with 185 and going to 245 and a 30 pounds jump on the neg. Now here the key the first time you do a "set" you shouldn't get all your reps. but the second time you do you should if you train hard on all other excersies. IE. flys which are hugh in weight training, you need to do light weight and deep flys to tear up the small fiber deep down. Drink lots of water eat three healthy big meals and two good meals or snack in between. You must have a spoter for this excersie Oh and make sure you do the same on Incline and Decline. Good luck :thumbsup:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duckhunter16 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:53 am

Dumb bell work outs are really important I think you can get a lot more muscle groups worked out and it helps if you work on you explosion I usually to a bunch of clapping push-ups to help with this.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:13 pm

For mass low reps and high weight, be carefull I have damaged parts of my body with that program. We did 5 sets of 5 reps with help from a spotter on the last couple. That was when I was in my 20's and if I had a chance to do it all over again I would never repeat that program . I would stick to lighter wieghts and more reps. Less chance of long term injury. And keep in mind as you grow older you will put on weight.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Minnesota » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:08 pm

Men's Health is now suggesting mixing different numbers of reps into your workout - which basically gives you heavy, medium, and light days. Heavy days do 5-6 reps/set, medium 9-11 reps/set, and light 13-15 reps/set. Mixing these into week will engage all types of muscle fibers - meaning larger gains overall. Couple more things:

1. You have to eat! - protein is very important
2. Too much mass in one muscle can cause injury - try to stay as balanced as possible. If you work your chest then don't forget your back (and rotator cuff).
Minnesota
hunter

Postby sheerperfection » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:49 pm

Ducxprt wrote:
Swamp Puppy wrote:i have a question for you weight lifters..

bump it up to 24oz reps for best results haha

:withstupid: :salude:
sheerperfection
hunter

Postby tealslayerblw » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:18 pm

what is a negative?
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:46 pm

A negative is where you stack on the weights like 30 above you max and take it off the rack and lower it as slow as you can while the spotter keeps upward pressure, not to much but enough so you just don't come straight down and at the bottom the spotter will help all he can to take it off you, if you have enough weight you will not get it up on your own. A negative helps your muscle get comfortable with heavy weight and promotes muscle memory. Oh and you need to take a wide grip, theres a notch on the bar, take the farthest notch and put your ring fingers on it. Should be outside your shoulders. If you come to far in you will be using more of your tricep instead of you pecks.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dirtysouthassassin » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:59 am

Well Ive been lifting for about 6 years now and my workouts seem to work great. If you are just working your upper body you want to focus on two to three muscles only a day. I like to start out on monday and do chest and tri's: flat bench-4sets of 5reps, then do some negatives when you get finished/next either incline or decline-3 to 4sets of 8 reps. and those are the main core lifts I do on monday. Then I like to just focus on each musle like chest and tri the rest of my workout. That is good for a start.
Migration Stops Here!
dirtysouthassassin
hunter

Return to Sports