Herpes Gladiatorum

Discussion of football, baseball, hockey, basketball, Nascar, etc..

Moderators: gotduck68415, HoCoHunter

Herpes Gladiatorum

Postby Capt Jeff Kraynik » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:40 am

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Minnesota high school wrestling programs were suspended Tuesday because of a widespread herpes outbreak.

The Minnesota State High School League banned competitions and direct contact between wrestlers in practice until Feb. 6 after 24 cases of herpes gladiatorum were reported by 10 teams. The virus is spread by skin-to-skin contact, and symptoms include lesions on the face, head and neck.

The suspension is meant to control the current outbreak, allow time to diagnose new cases and prevent disqualifications at the state tournament, scheduled for Feb. 28-March 3.

The Minnesota Department of Health has been tracking the virus, caused by herpes simplex Type 1, the same strain that causes cold sores. Officials first became aware of the outbreak at a tournament in Rochester in late-December.

Scot Davis, who coaches wrestling at Owatonna High School, has been involved in wrestling in Minnesota for more than 40 years and can't remember the league completely shutting down before.

Davis' wrestlers, who gets checkups several times a week, competed at the Rochester tournament where the outbreak was first detected, yet none of his wrestlers have been infected.

"I think it's a bold step," he said. "How else are you going to get this thing cleared up? How do I explain to a mom that her kid has herpes forever?"

Steve Larsen, wrestling coach at Century High School in Rochester, said his team will miss three competitions because of the eight-day suspension.

"It's going to make scheduling interesting," he said. "I hope some of it will get rescheduled."

The Century team has had no skin problems this year, Larsen said. But in the past, when a few of his wrestlers came down with ringworm, his team was suspended from practice and competition as a precaution.

Infected wrestlers have to sit out matches and get cleared by doctors before they can resume wrestling, he said.

Dr. B.J. Anderson, a former wrestler who acts as a health adviser to the high school league, said the greatest concern is an infection of the eye, which can, in rare cases, lead to scarring or blindness. The virus can remain in a body indefinitely, he said.

A similar outbreak occurred in 1999, affecting 63 wrestlers and disqualifying several of them from the state tournament, Anderson said.

Dr. Henry Balfour, a national expert on herpes who works in the department of virology at the University of Minnesota, said wrestlers are at a high risk for this sort of infection because of the nature of the sport.

"Usually you have to have damage to the skin," he said. "If there is a break in the skin ... then the virus could take and cause a skin infection."
"Don't take life so seriously, you'll never get out alive"

321-863-9182
Waterfowl-Alligator-Light-Tackle Saltwater Flats Fishing
Capt Jeff Kraynik
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:51 am

Being a wrestler in Minnesota, not in highschool any more though, but I don't even know what to think. I don't think they should have done it. There are so many stereotypes about wrestling that make it look not only gay, but dirty too. And this doesn't help its image out all.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby goose_boy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:14 pm

I agree about the wrestling stereotypes, but I agree with the suspension. You have to take the precautionary measures to prevent/stop the outbreak. I have heard of this stuff before, wrestled in high school in NW Iowa, about 30 miles from Minnesota actually. I'm not expert on this, but it sounds like they are making this sound WAY worse than it is. "Mat herpes", as it is known to wrestlers, is more like chicken pox lesions, and I'm almost positive that you don't have it forever. This isn't genital herpes here... There's a reason why the teams that have few problems with skin conditions, it's called mandatory showers. Hygeine is a necessity.
goose_boy
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:19 pm

yeah...i mean hey. a bunch of men in tights groping around on each other. what stereotype? lol!

gotta agree with the precautions they are taking though...safety first. maybe they could wrestle in large body condoms?
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:22 pm

being a high school wrestler and having suffer from this exact condition I will tell you these boys are in for a world of hurt in a few days and it is a good thing that they have suspended the season for a bit. This disease is not pretty after about 3 days, I have never been so sick as I was when I had this.
Teach and the BUILD then build on what you TEACH. Baby steps, its all about baby steps.
cmelik10
hunter

Postby Jeno99 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:19 pm

Im not a wrestler but I'm glad, we in Owatonna ,didnt get any infections because i know most of the wrestlers on the team. It sounds pretty nasty
Jeno99
hunter

Postby hermit » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:18 pm

HMMmmm, I always caught MY diseases under the bleachers......And NOT from wrestling........
One thing I will never do is apologize. Sorry.
hermit
hunter

Postby Erik Olsen » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:21 pm

actually any form of herpes is contagious from skin to skin and the genital herpes that your thinking of is being out dated quick because more kinds are popping up all the time, there are many different types whether in the type one or type two catagory your "Mat herpes" is usually a small infection and not a form of herpes. the worst part is you dont have to have symptoms to transmit it. and without symptoms blood tests are not always accurate. so in fact the kid your wrestling or girl your kissing could be positive for herpes and passing it to you without you knowing. think of the girl in second grade that you know and she always gets cold sores. cold sores are a form of herpes and she probably got them kissing her mother or father goodnight whether they show symptoms or not, but to most people its "just" cold sores. im not claming to be an expert but i do pay attention in my med classes and do alot of extra studying because older EMTs are finding out the hard way that CPR with no masks caused them more damage than they ever thought. it can even be spread from someones neck or back or legs to our hands if we dont wear gloves.
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:07 am

Jeno99 wrote:Im not a wrestler but I'm glad, we in Owatonna ,didnt get any infections because i know most of the wrestlers on the team. It sounds pretty nasty

Hey, you know Derek Skala? He's on the team with me at SCSU, he graduated last year from O-town.

Hey cmelik10, You got sick from herpes? I've never heard of anyone getting sick before.

I would have liked them to just suspend the teams that had infections. I trust their decision, but I really don't understand it.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Erik Olsen » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:10 pm

as i said earlier you can not just suspend the teams that are infected baceause you cannot positivly id if they have it unless it shows. and its still contagious even if it doesnt show.
Erik Olsen
hunter

Postby Ducxprt » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:59 pm

As a formmor wrestler I see were the athletes can be a bit upset with the deccision, but it is one that had to be done. You do not want every high school wrestler in the state running around with this problem.
TALK EM INTO GIVING UP
Ducxprt
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:49 pm

I suppose you guys are right. I would hate to be in highschool wrestling right now, they still have practice, just no wrestling or anything on the mats, that means running and conditioning. That can't be fun.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Erik Olsen » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:53 pm

plus can you imagine being the coach "maam im sorry but im the reason your son got herpes"

sorry i couldnt help it.
Erik Olsen
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:35 pm

I used to be a wrestler in H.S. I wsan't any good though. I would fisnish then want to go to sleep. I am sorry, I also couldn't resist.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Jeno99 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:49 pm

I've Heard of him but dont know him personally.(Skala)
Jeno99
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:52 pm

Sketch. I knew that you could get lice from sharing helmets on a baseball team. But the thought of getting herps from wrestlin', now that's a new one to me. If I ever get herps, it better come from a sexy blonde that is wrestlin' me around! :salude: Sorry to all those boys who contracted it through wrestlin' cause now the girls might not want to play anymore! :eek:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:53 pm

Jeno99 wrote:I've Heard of him but dont know him personally.(Skala)

Thats cool, I was just wondering. There was one other kid on the team named Russel Smith, but he recently quit.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:28 am

Theres a kid that just came down with it in South Dakota so it did jump the border.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Return to Sports