College Football

Discussion of football, baseball, hockey, basketball, Nascar, etc..

Moderators: gotduck68415, HoCoHunter

College Football

Postby duckahlr » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:21 pm

My favorite time of year...no body is over paid, no crying...just great games and big hits. And besides it's almost time for those ducks. make you case for your favorite team. I'm origionally from Il, but my team is Michigan. #5 in the coaches poll that came out today. If they can find any replacements on defense they should be good. If they don't win the title this year look for Lloyd Carr to be out and possibly Les Miles from LSU or Ron English to be coaching next year. GO BLUE !!! :thumbsup:
duckahlr
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:05 am

Wow there are a ton of football fans on here !!!! That's why I love DHC so much....because it's soooooooo interactive.
duckahlr
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:01 am

Easy buddy. People have stuff to do on the weekend during the summer. Wait until duck season, DHC will be blowing up.

I am also looking forward to the college football season, but when the choice is to go hunting or go to a football game I choose hunting every time.

Boston College is my undergraduate alma mater so in the ACC I am pulling for them.

My brother is a Penn State grad. I have been to several games at Beaver Stadium and I am a Nittany Lions fan in the Big 10. The Big 10 should be another fun season with a lot of good match ups.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby A 5 user » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:26 pm

duckahlr, i too LOVE college football. the 5 most important things in my life are 1. God 2. my family 3. duck hunting 4. LSU football 5. eating south La. food. now having said that i have to ask a question. why would les leave LSU to go to Michigan? i know he is an alumnus, but he has seen the promise land now. he has experienced Sat. night in Tiger Stadium. he has eaten boiled crawfish. he has been to Mardi Gras. he hasn`t seen snow in three years. i mean, what would he gain? in the BCS bowls last year we were actually disappointed in getting N.D. in the sugar bowl. we would have LOVED to have gotten michigan in the rose. now how about that for stirring up controversy? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
hunt `em like they owe you money
A 5 user
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:53 pm

First of all this place is nothing like the refuge. There are people on there all of the time.

And second. A 5 there no shame in coming over with the good guys. I think the only reason the two didn't play last year is money. The aren't gonna give up USC if they don't have too. And Les miles has everything going for him if he leaves Mich. Plus I think he's gonna have a lot to live up too when they play Alabama. I'd love for both teams to play in a BCS game. I'm sure Michigan will get there but not so sure about those Tigers.Hey check out a buddy of mine hayescalls.com, and pick yourself up an LSU call. Kickoff's only a couple weeks away.
duckahlr
hunter

Postby A 5 user » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:37 pm

i too realize LSU will have a harder time getting to a BCS bowl than michigan. of course if michigan played in the SEC they would have a helava lot harder time also :lol: the fun game with bama won`t be this year, but next, when nick satan, er, i mean saban, returns to the original DEATH VALLEY. what a welcome he will recieve! i still believe that after experenceing the good life in south louisina, ole les, has forgotten all about...., er..., er, where is it ? oh yes ann arbor! :yes: :yes:
A 5 user
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:59 pm

GO BADGERS!!!!!!!!! ON WISCONSIN
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby smitht » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:59 am

SEC is where REAL football is played!! Michigan wouldnt have been able to compete with LSU just like they couldnt with USC. I cant wait for some SEC football. WAR EAGLE!!!
smitht
hunter

Postby A 5 user » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:37 am

smitht, hope auburn only loses one game in the SEC west, and it is not the bama game. :rofl: :rofl:
all the major conferences have several good teams. the SEC has a whole bunch of them. they kill each other off during the season, so at the end of the season their won/loss record is not as good as some teams in other conferences they could beat handily.
A 5 user
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:42 am

I can't stand how ND is always so over rated. At the end of the year it is pretty sweet to watch them get embarrassed in a bowl game, but I would rather see a team that deserves to be there in place of the Irish.

So what do you guys think about Boise State and Rutgers? Are they legit or are they Cinderella teams?
harvey1b
hunter

Postby A 5 user » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:36 am

no doubt they were legit last year, and probably will be very respectable this year. but the long term success required to enter football`s elite group of year in and year out powers is doubtfull at both schools.
A 5 user
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:31 pm

Here is my take on ND. They don't want to join the Bid 10 for some reason. Although they do play at least 5 Big 10 teams. I would say money. Also think of this. If I were to coack a top ten team, any conference let's say next year and you played me in the first game, what could you scout against? I mean you don't know what defense or offense i'm gonna run. So there is no way to have a plan against me!! This is how alot of new coaches are. When Weis got to Nd there was nothing to plan against. What are you gonna watch old Patriots tapes?? You have no clue. So now, if they don't get bid recruits, I think you will see ND fall a bit. As far as Michigan........I think they would do good in any conference. I think once you in a conference for so many years teams figure you out, right. So then it comes down to coaching and players. I do admit they are good in the regular season. but I dont know if it's the lay-off between last game and bowl game ot they just aren't prepared for the bowls. Don't know..
duckahlr
hunter

Postby A 5 user » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:29 pm

of course it`s about the money! all college football is about getting the big bucks.it`s not about the old college try anymore, it`s a BIG TIME enterainment business. at most schools football is 80% of the atheletic department budget. N. D. doesn`t want to join a conference so they won`t have to share the big bucks from their lucrative TV contract and BSC bowl tie in with a group of weak sisters. in the SEC Miss. State gets as much TV and bowl money as Florida when it`s divided up. think they put as much into the pot? i do think N.D. in spite of their hallowed tradition is going to have to show a good deal of improvement in the next few years to keep all that money rolling in. i think one thing that northern schools run into when they play SEC schools is team speed. oh sure, every school has a few burners, but when N.D. played LSU in the sugar bowl they had not seen that kind of TEAM speed and didn`t know whether to cry or wind their watch. maybe that`s why michigan doesn`t do to well in the post season too. i`m sure that`s what happened to OSU with florida.
A 5 user
hunter

Postby TeamWidowmaker32 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:08 pm

All I want to know is who here thinks there team can beat mine: Illinois :eek:
TeamWidowmaker32
hunter

Postby A 5 user » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:53 pm

high school or college? :lol: :lol: :lol:
A 5 user
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:11 pm

Widow maker where are you from. I used to live in Havana?

Anyway I really think Illinois is at least four years away to having a winning season. they are getting some good players but not enough to keep up with the big three. OSU.Mich and Wisc. But they may have some tricks....just like ib '01. But really don't see them being a powerhouse anytime soon. Go Blue !!!
duckahlr
hunter

Postby smitht » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:54 pm

A5 I cheer for LSU when they dont play Auburn my brother graduated from there and its a cool place. Good Luck
Widowmaker..who is Illinios they dont even have a mascot anymore do they...and there is a high school around here i think would give them a run for ther money lol
smitht
hunter

Postby wingshooter2009 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:01 pm

cant wait for that big SC rivalry game!!!! GO TIGERS!!!!!!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby A 5 user » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:33 am

**** ****, i assume you are talking about the clemson breed of tigers. y`all better watch out for "the ole ball coach" he`s a tricky rascal. and the "bowden bowl" should be even more fun to watch this year. FSU now has one of the best OCs in the nation in jimbo fisher.
A 5 user
hunter

Postby BFG » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:53 pm

but when N.D. played LSU in the sugar bowl they had not seen that kind of TEAM speed and didn`t know whether to cry or wind their watch. maybe that`s why michigan doesn`t do to well in the post season too. i`m sure that`s what happened to OSU with florida.

Please God...do not let anyone compare Ohio State to Notre Shame in any way, shape or form. Notre Dame gets a BCS game if they get to 9 wins in a season, no matter who they play.

Yeah...team speed...that was it...try out-coached and out-prepared..

Ohio State fan here...true and true.

For all of you SEC fans who like to rag on the Big 10 and their plodding rosters...I say just one thing to you...

Play someone north of the Mason Dixon line for a change. The bowl game that LSU played last year was a HOME game for the Tigers. You want to hang your hat on that win??? Good God...ND is terrible.

I would not be surprised in the least bit to see Les Miles leave the SEC where he gets no love and go back to his roots at scUM. For now, we'll continue to enjoy the exploits of LLLLLoyd and his losing ways.

The Cooper years were not fun....but the last 6 have been a joy...

BFG
Team Jackhandle
(It's an 870 thing)
BFG
hunter

Postby smitht » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:54 pm

Florida game against your buckeyes was in arizona is that far enough away for u? look what happend to them. ill hang my hat on that!!
smitht
hunter

Postby A 5 user » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:57 pm

BFG
Don`t get your feathers ruffled. that was last year. ND was a better team last year than they are this year. Obviously! Wasn`t compareing them in any way to OSU. Just talking about things that happened LAST year. Wasn`t trashing the Big 10 (11) either. Actually LSU fans were sort of disappointed in getting the Sugar bowl. We wanted Michigan and the Rose. As things work out about the only time the SEC gets to play teams from north of the mason-dixon is in the bowl games. The SEC doesn`t have too bad a record there.
A theoritical question for you. Say LSU were to play ND THIS year. At South Bend. What do you think would happen? That`s what I figure too. Makes no difference where you play, it`s how you play.
A 5 user
hunter

Postby BAYOU_BOY » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:14 am

I am also a huge LSU fan.....Us louisiana people love the tigers.....I pray everyday les miles goes to MIgh.....he maybe the worse coach ever at lsu....What i hate about miles the most is he is taking credit for winning with sabans boys......every LSU fan i no agrees with me that miles is not a good coach....If LSU can get past the gators next week they will win the sec and play in the national champ. game.....USC will win out so prolly USC v/s Floirda/LSU winner.......And the guy who created the message did not no when he wrote this that appl. state was going to go to the big house and clean house
Tracy Chelette
BAYOU_BOY
hunter

Postby BFG » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:27 am

A theoritical question for you. Say LSU were to play ND THIS year. At South Bend. What do you think would happen? That`s what I figure too. Makes no difference where you play, it`s how you play

But what if Florida, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, etc. decided to play a home/home with Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, or Michigan State...and those games were in November...

Football is played differently when it's cold.

I'm not sure who the best team in the nation is right now. After watching USC play the other night, and also LSU...and then seeing Florida get caught looking ahead to this week...

The Bucks are a top 10 team. I'm not sure they are the #4 team.

BFG
Team Jackhandle
(It's an 870 thing)
BFG
hunter

Postby A 5 user » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:28 pm

Hi BFG, it`s me again. You and I can agree on one thing. OSU has a great program and a very good team. I see no reason to question thier #4 ranking at this time. Though I am a true LSU fan, as a boy I was a big fan of Rex Kern and Jim Otis and the great teams Woody Hayes produced in the 1960s. Read everything I could find on them during study hall instead of studing. I don`t post about football on the sports sites because it is too contentious and frankly stupid. Here on a duck hunting chat group I find it much more civil and will venture an opinion every once in a while. I try to brag on my tean (the tigers) and not just run down other teams. I feel that the way it should be and let the records be made on the field. I do also enjoy a little fun and humor with it so with that said you suggested southern teams play Big 10 teams up north during Nov. when is cold. OK, we can do that , but I think when ya`ll come down here ( for the home & home schduling) we should play the first week of Sept. when the temp. is in the low 90`s and the humity is around 85%. What do you think?
A 5 user
hunter

Next

Return to Sports