Hockey Skills?

Discussion of football, baseball, hockey, basketball, Nascar, etc..

Moderators: gotduck68415, HoCoHunter

Hockey Skills?

Postby Mare_Vitalis » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:30 am

Being from the south I don’t have much exposure to hockey, although I do really enjoy it and I love the Stars...but watching the game last night brought up some questions...

I was wondering what the separation of skill level between pro and the minors was. I think football would have the greatest separation because even the best player in college is still one of the worst players in the pros their first year. Basketball would be second because you can easily see who is the best in the league based on skills...now I think that hockey would enter right about here, but if not then soccer would be next even though its kind of weird because there are so many different leagues and clubs and levels of play. then comes baseball last, there are so many guys in the minors and farm leagues that could play in the pros if the right time came but it never does...I really think that baseball is more about karma and charisma than anything once you get to that level...

Everyone knows Wayne Gretzky, and I think it’s safe to say he is the greatest of all time...but who would be number 2? Bobby Orr or Mario Lemieux are two players that I would think would be considered, but I don’t know too much so....

Is the NHL the largest stage for hockey, I know that it is more of a Russian/Canadian/French sport but do they all have leagues and are they bigger than the NHL? I know that the Olympics are the biggest but do they have a world cup event like soccer?

and last question do you really think that Crosby is going to be the real deal? The game last night was amazing and if you’re a fan of sports you missed one hell of a good battle...
Mare_Vitalis
hunter

Re: Hockey Skills?

Postby wackemstackem » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:54 am

Mare_Vitalis wrote:Being from the south I don’t have much exposure to hockey, although I do really enjoy it and I love the Stars...but watching the game last night brought up some questions...

I was wondering what the separation of skill level between pro and the minors was. I think football would have the greatest separation because even the best player in college is still one of the worst players in the pros their first year. Basketball would be second because you can easily see who is the best in the league based on skills...now I think that hockey would enter right about here, but if not then soccer would be next even though its kind of weird because there are so many different leagues and clubs and levels of play. then comes baseball last, there are so many guys in the minors and farm leagues that could play in the pros if the right time came but it never does...I really think that baseball is more about karma and charisma than anything once you get to that level...

Unlike basketball and football not to many make it to the bigs after they are drafted untill a yr or 2 in the minors.Like baseball all teams have minor league squads.Guys are drafted from the farm teams and college.

Everyone knows Wayne Gretzky, and I think it’s safe to say he is the greatest of all time...but who would be number 2? Bobby Orr or Mario Lemieux are two players that I would think would be considered, but I don’t know too much so....

Gordy Howe is considerd by most to be the #2.

Is the NHL the largest stage for hockey, I know that it is more of a Russian/Canadian/French sport but do they all have leagues and are they bigger than the NHL? I know that the Olympics are the biggest but do they have a world cup event like soccer?

The NHL is definetly the largest stage for hockey but most european countries have their leagues.
The world cup is played every spring.Teams that dont make the NHL playoffs or get ousted early allways allow their players to compete.

and last question do you really think that Crosby is going to be the real deal? The game last night was amazing and if you’re a fan of sports you missed one hell of a good battle...

Crosby is supposed to be the TOTAL package but only time will tell.
If you like watching hockey on tv try and make it to a game.The tv shows only a small portion of whats going on on the ice
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby Mare_Vitalis » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:10 pm

yeah i really want to make it to a Stars game next year....Im going to try and get tickets on a night that the mavs play and then the stars play...its awesome they take the court off with the ice ready in like an hour...I'd love to watch back to back mavs and stars...
Mare_Vitalis
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:26 pm

get a job as a street sweeper. If you hone your skills you may become good enough to one day drive the zamboni, and then you can watch all the games for free!
harvey1b
hunter

Postby sbeIICT » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:54 pm

I played hockey up until college. started when i was 4. I have played around many friends and teammates who have progressed to the pro level, even the NHL. I would say that hockey has an innate difference between the pros and non-pro. Minor league is still professional and in many cases the players are josteled between the minor and major (nhl) team. For instance the New york Islanders have a relationship with the Bridgeport (ct) sound tigers so that they can send and receive players if they are not playing/ or exceeding their respective leagues potential.
Someone unfamiliar with the sport may not notice the subtle things that make a player great but every player has his own skillsets. While great players may have the "total package" there are certain things they are better at than others. Let me first tell you that hockey is a very tough sport to be very good at. You just have to have that talent, its very hard to learn it.
Dusty Bottoms
sbeIICT
hunter

Re: Hockey Skills?

Postby plainsman » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:32 pm

Mare_Vitalis wrote:Everyone knows Wayne Gretzky, and I think it’s safe to say he is the greatest of all time...but who would be number 2? Bobby Orr or Mario Lemieux are two players that I would think would be considered, but I don’t know too much so....

Up around here, Gretzky is considered to BARELY break the top 5. He was NOT an all around player......not even close.....just racked up points from others hard work.
Orr and Howe are considered to be #1 and #2 of all time, with Orr getting the nod for the GREATEST OF ALL TIME :hammer: :hammer:
Orr was the most rounded player ever, even Howe agrees to that, so does gretzky. For a defense man to have his skills....both defensive and offensive has never been equaled, although Borque came close.
As for cindy, I doubt he'll ever live up to the hype. He's not a warrior, just a gretzky wannabe. Time will tell....will he ever shake his whining image????
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby Boom » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:49 am

:huh: for me its tuff but for sure it would be between howe and orr. i truely think mario lemieux was beter all around then gretzky so my #3 guy would be lemieux..as far as the hockey fan experience goes for sure in person any game being it OHL, NHL whatever its awesome to go to the games and see in person. imo i think the NHL is the top league but some of those european leagues could give them a run for there money. now as far as crosby goes he has alot of skills no doubt but only time will tell he needs to try to get rid of that cry baby stigma first though cause he will never get the respect that he has coming to him as well as toughen up but boy can he play good hockey or what.. just my 2 cents though.
WACKEM & STACKEM
Boom
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:54 pm

IMO there is a big difference between players in lower levels of hockey and those in the NHL. Overall NHL players are more talented, better conditioned and have the mental ability to make split second decisions on the ice to make a play in this fast paced game. They can visualize the play before it happens.

For instance take a guy like Darren McCarty. He doesnt score a ton of goals at the NHL level, but dominated in lower levels of hockey. First with Flint, then with Grand Rapids before rejoining the Detroit Red Wings. His score sheet alone is a great indicator of the talent level he faced in minor league hockey compared to the NHL. Luckily for him players arent judged souly on scoring goals, but theyre ability to make plays at a high level on both ends of the ice without hurting their team.

As far as the greatest hockey player ever, everyone has their own opinion on that. It all depends on what your looking for in a player, not to mention the era they played in. For me its a complete player, a player that can play well both offensively and defensively, as well as be a leader on his team. For me that player is Steve Yzerman. He put up the numbers offensively, but played very well defensively. IMO he was the best leaders the Red Wings had ever seen, even amongst greats like Gordie Howe, Ted Lindsey etc...and he is certainly one of the best Captains in the history of the NHL.

As for Gretsky, Lemieux, Howe, and Orr, theyre all great players respectively for theyre era, just not the greatest of all time to me.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Return to Sports