MLB

Discussion of football, baseball, hockey, basketball, Nascar, etc..

Moderators: gotduck68415, HoCoHunter

MLB

Postby HoCoHunter » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:54 am

Now that we are in the second half, I just wanted to know who you think is going to make the playoffs. Also give me a rundown of how you think things will shake down.

NL East- Phillies
NL Central-Cubs
NL West- D-backs
NL Wild card- Cardinals

NLDS- Cubs v. D-Backs = D-backs
Cards v. Phillies =Cards
NLCS- Cards v. D-backs = Cards

AL East- Red Sox
AL Central- White Sox
AL West- Angels
Wild Card- Yankees

ALDS- Angels v. Yankees=Angels
Red Sox v. White Sox= Red Sox
ALCS- Angels v. Red Sox= Angels

World Series- Angels v. Cards= Angels
HoCoHunter
Forum Moderator

Postby HowIdo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:18 pm

Here is how I have it going.....

NL East - Phillies
NL Central - Cubs
NL West - D-backs
NL Wild Card - Milwaukee

NLDS - Cubs v. D-Backs = Cubs
Phillies v. Milwaukee = Phillies
NLCS - Cubs v. Phillies = Phillies

AL East - Red Sox
AL Central - Tigers
AL West - Angels
Wild Card - Ray = White Sox

ALDS - Angels v. White Sox = Angels
Red Sox v. Tigers = Red Sox
ALCS- Angels v. Red Sox = Angels

World Series - Angels vs. Phillies = Angels
Why lose when you can Win?

Proud to be everything Liberals cant stand!!
HowIdo
hunter

Postby HoCoHunter » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:14 pm

We can both see that the angels are the best team but I think we may be biased in the NL.
HoCoHunter
Forum Moderator

Postby HowIdo » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:29 pm

Possibly, haha but my Phils just laid into the Cards! Either way, now the the Angels aquired Tex and with that rotation they are going to be hard to beat.

HowIdo
hunter

Postby HoCoHunter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:00 pm

I figured that I would here some smack talk about that. We have some issues but we will figure it out, we always do.

Blanton looked good for you guys, and you have to be happy with the way Myers has come back after his demotion. I wish our GM would have done something at the trade deadline to improve our club. Carpenter is back and will be himself and if our bullpen keeps screwing up they might move Wainwright back to closer. Then all we need to do is get those bats rattling.

We may both be wrong about the NL West, Manny will make the Dodgers one hell of a ballclub.
HoCoHunter
Forum Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:04 pm

I agree with your picks in the AL. However the D-Rays could factor into that.

I have the Angels picked to Win the ALCS too and the WLS.

I pick the Cubs to win the NLCS against Cardnals.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby HoCoHunter » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:25 am

I really like the rays, just don't know if they can keep it going in that division. But, I would much rather see them than the sox or yanks.
HoCoHunter
Forum Moderator

Postby HowIdo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:24 pm

I always get scared playing the Cards, I think they are one of the best teams in the NL. Im glad Pujols hasnt been hitting well as of late, but where in the hell did Ludwick come from, he is a monster!!

I didnt like Blantons first 2 starts with us, but he hadn't pitched for a month prior to his first start with the phils. I was very impressed with his last start and I am also very happy with how Myers has rebounded after being sent to the minors.

As for the NL West, I just think the D-backs will pull it out with superior pitching and the assumption that Manny cant possibly keep hitting as good as he has been.

HowIdo
hunter

Postby HoCoHunter » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:10 pm

Apparently Ludwick was one of the Ranger's top prospects several years ago but he has been hurt for about the last 5 years. He's healthy now and I don't know where we would be without him.

I heard a stat the other day that only 40% of the pitches Albert sees are strikes. I would say that still hitting 340-350 is quite an accomplishment. That being said I wish he would hit for a little more power.
HoCoHunter
Forum Moderator

Postby Higgins » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:11 pm

It has been 100 years of of cubs upsets and down-right boredom, and too many heart breaking years for me :sad: this is the year i believe hell will freeze over when the cubs win GO CUBBIES!
Higgins
hunter

Postby gadwall getter » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:00 pm

Higgins wrote:It has been 100 years of of cubs upsets and down-right boredom, and too many heart breaking years for me :sad: this is the year i believe hell will freeze over when the cubs win GO CUBBIES!

well im an A's fan but since we traded away all of our good players!!!! we dont stand a chance this year. but i do believe you are right. i believe that piniella and the cubs will go the distance this year and finally take what they've deserved for so long. good luck to you guys. :thumbsup:
Last edited by gadwall getter on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
DUCKS ARE GOOD EATS. EAT WHAT YOU KILL.
gadwall getter
hunter

Postby HoCoHunter » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:10 pm

All this cub love is making me sick. I promise reality will set in and then they can look forward to next year once again.

Completely
Useless
By
September
HoCoHunter
Forum Moderator

Postby gadwall getter » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:05 am

HoCoHunter wrote:All this cub love is making me sick. I promise reality will set in and then they can look forward to next year once again.

Completely
Useless
By
September

just keep tellin that to yourself.....
gadwall getter
hunter

Postby timberjet » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:17 am

go red sox!
If it flies it dies!. if it lands it dies!, if it swims it dies!, they all taste good!!!!
timberjet
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:54 pm

Well, it's time for a bump as the post season heats up.

Cubs choked.....again. Surprise!

HowIdo, I must now root for your team, as I have since the post season started.

NL:
No self-respecting Cards fan is gonna root for the Cubbies, and just don't care much for the Brewers. Glad to see them both out.

Hate Manny, so the Dodgers are out. He has really helped that team, though, and everyone has picked it up a notch. That leaves the Phillies, and I do like how the team plays. Howard being from St. Louis helps, too....and he has had a good season (still not league MVP in my book, though). Just need to turn the offense up a notch or three.

My take: Phils in 6.

AL:

I really thought the Angels and Rays were gong to play the AL championship game, so I'm half right! I don't know what happened, but the Red Sox beat them into the ground. Absolutely hate Boston, but they are doing very well in this post season.

Glad to see the Rays beat the White Sox. I like the idea of a team of unknown players who had a great year keep playing hard to beat an experienced team. I hope the momentum can take them the rest of the way.

My take: I would like to see the Rays win, but think it will be Red Sox in 5.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby HoCoHunter » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:27 pm

I hear ya BG, I was very happy to see the cubs fail once again.

I am not going to lie, I thought the Dodgers would win the NLCS but with the Phillies going up 2-0 tonight it looks like that is probably not going to happen. I thought with Manny and the Dodger pitchers it would be LA in 6.

I love the Rays and hope they can pull it out against the Sox but I think in the end the fact that the Sox have been here before will win over. I say Sox in 6.

As for the world series, I think this year it is called the ALCS. If Sox win they will sweep the NL team and if the Rays win it will take them 5. It hurts me to say that being a national league guy but neither LA or Philly is a championship team in my book.
HoCoHunter
Forum Moderator

Postby cuppedup50 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:31 pm

yea the cubs should just give it up...they choke in the clutch every year. but my cards didnt do anything this year either....thats aight my american league team is the bo sox hopefully they will win another ring.
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby PolkCoWaterfowler » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:18 am

World Series Winner = Tampa Bay Rays!
75 NORTH Sir!
Beat It Stroke!
PolkCoWaterfowler
hunter

Postby HoCoHunter » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:04 am

PolkCoWaterfowler wrote:World Series Winner = Tampa Bay Rays!

It is looking like that might happen. That will be the greatest story in sports history. I wish them luck.
HoCoHunter
Forum Moderator

Postby gadwall getter » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:54 pm

i think the phillies have too much talent to lose the world series. plus i want jamie moyer to win a world series ring! he only lives off what he needs and gives the rest of his money to charities and things like that. he really is a great guy! :thumbsup:
gadwall getter
hunter

Postby HowIdo » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:04 pm

Phillies in 5.........Blanton gets the loss in game 4 and Hamels pitches a phantastic game 5!!!! Phillies win Phillies win ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Phillies Win!!!

Cant wait for this series to start!!!!

HowIdo
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:49 pm

Congrats to Phillies fans, but to be honest, I think the only people that cared about this World Series were phillies fans. I'm not sure there are even any Rays fans out there.

After the rain out and the two day delay for Game 5, I had lost what little interest I had left in this series. I can't believe they played the game so long in those horrible conditions, just waiting for Tampa to tie it so Selig didn't have to break too many MLB rules. What a sham.

Dear Mr. Selig,

1. Please shorten your season.
2. Please shorten your playoff series 3 games should be enough. Heck football does it with one.
3. Please try not to make too many exceptions to the rules during the World Series. Baseball has already had enough legitimacy problems with the steroids scandals, you don't need any more.

Thanks,

The would be fans.

P.S. The women's college volleyball games that were on last night held more excitement than the 3.5 inning game.

Again, congrats to Philadelphia, I'm glad you won it, but this is one of the least captivating MLB series that I have seen in quite some time.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby greenhead cutter » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:34 pm

groundswatter things like this I hold fairly close to my heart as I am an ex college baseball player and current baseball coach so I am going to try to be as nice as possible in responding to your wish list to Mr. Selig.

1. There is no reason that the season should be shortened, you may not enjoy it because your obviously not that big of a baseball fan. The same reason that I think the basketball season is to long, but I dont complain about it. This game is a marathon not a sprint.
2. This is not the college level, it is ok for the college teams to do a 3 game series because the starting pitching staff is not nearly as deep as a profesional club. A pro staff has 4 starters for a reason as I stated in point #1 this game is a marathon and honestly the fan base is there to support it.
3. Any allegations towards baseball being an illegitimate sport is full of crap every sport in the past 8 years has had their own steroid scandal. Everyone holds this over the baseball communities head as if they are perfect, I could name minimum 5 people in multiple sports that have tested positive for steroids. Mr. Selig did everything he could do in coordination with the grounds crew to keep that game not laughable.

So congrats Mr. Selig I still have your back you may have seriously jacked up an all-star game but you made a good call here.
greenhead cutter
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:41 pm

greenhead cutter,

I love college baseball. I went to Texas A&M and I used to enjoy going to College Baseball games and I still like keeping up with them when they're on TV. I try to catch every College World Series game that is televised and I'm home for.

Why, b/c when the season is over, I am left wanting more every time.

I feel the same way about the NBA basketball season as you do and I'm a fan. I want to be excited about the NBA opener, but the season is ridiculously long and I usually don't start watching until mid season. Again, its a sport I enjoy, I have teams I follow, but its just too ridiculously long.

College Basketball, usually I've had my fill of it by seasons end only b/c the NCAA tourney. They cram so many games in there at the end its ridiculous. But 1 game tournament style playoff's are exciting and I'll watch them every time.

The MLB season is too long. OK don't decrease the games, increase the number of double headers, shorten it that way, but it gets longer every year. Next year we're going to be watching the cowboys on thanksgiving day, and that night we'll be tuning into the world series.

Just FYI, Game 5 was one of the lowest rated World Series Game 5's we have had. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-worldseries-ratings&prov=ap&type=lgns So do you really have enough fans to support it?

They should have postponed it, done something, but playing in the mud until Tampa ties is ridiculous. But I guess if he had called the game and Phillie won it in 3 innings, that would have been pretty ridiculous too, but that is how the rules are set up.

I still can't believe the only thing they were allowed to replay in the WS was homers. Why didn't they go all the way with it.

As for legitimacy, all sports have drug problems. Not all sports have steroids users in their record books. Not all of them get their laundry aired out on National Television in front of Congress. Steroids have officially made most of the Home Run records a sham in baseball, b/c juiced up players set them, and its going to be very difficult for a non-juiced player to break them.

Probably the most perturbing thing about the Clemens steroid scandal was that even in Baseballs off season all they talked about was baseball. I was tired of it before the season started.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby greenhead cutter » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:34 pm

point taken on the steroid issue, but note that during the time that the homerun records were being set steroids were technically not illegal. The drugs that they were taking were not tested for therefor making them legal and you know in your heart of hearts that if you were in the same situation you do what you can to put yourself in the best position to make a name for yourself. Also know that hank aaron and babe ruth were never on steroids during there career and they seemed to set those records without a problem and they will be broken again by a man that is also not on steroids, a-rod is on pace to hit 800+ home runs by the end of his career. As for the season being shortened the only time the fall classic has made it into november was in 2001 when 9/11 occured so no next year we will not be watching the boys and the world series in the same day.
greenhead cutter
hunter

Return to Sports