Tips for squirrel hunting?

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, NorCal Cazadora, LadyK

Tips for squirrel hunting?

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:01 am

I finally solved the problem I had about not being able to waterfowl or deer hunt this year. I'm pregnant with twins and am due in November so that knocked deer season out. And we normally hunt very hard for waterfowl. We duke it out on public land so try to find the out of the way spots that are hard to access so we can hunt by ourselves. It's not very condusive to hunting while pregnant. Besides, none of my gear fits me right now. ;)

I've been feeling pretty bummed that I was going to have to sit home while the guys went out this year, until I realized I should go squirrel hunting. It's not ducks, but at least it's something. There's plenty of public land nearby that's pretty much only good for squirrels. I don't have to walk very far, and I figured I can park myself under a tree with my .22 and wait for one of the little buggers to scramble on by. Does that sound like the best plan? Other than waiting near a birdfeeder anyhow. ;) I'll more than likely be by myself.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Re: Tips for squirrel hunting?

Postby okiequacker » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:29 am

hey,
I would say find a way to hunt those ducks/geese! find some cheap man coveralls at a thrift store or garage sale that are a little big on ya. hunt that pond you guys hunted last year and get out there! haha

on the squirrel hunting, you can go and sit still in a good area that has lots of oak trees. Perferably white oak. if you are there early a.m. and sit down like your deer hunting you will see some squirrels. If not, just slip very slowly and quietly thru the woods...go from tree to tree..stop then look around..best to do this on a calm day so you can see the limbs moving from them jumping around early or if it's raining and the rain stops...they really get to moving then!
Good luck!
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:58 am

Pregnant with twin, due in Nov and its Sept. you sould be laid up on the couch getting relaxing not alone in the wood, lol. Well, if you do go make sure someone knows where you are. I've got two boys so I know how bored and can't sit still ya'll are when your pregnant.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:43 am

Okiequacker - I've definately thought about it! lol. That pond would probably be about the only spot that I could hunt. It's very easily accessed as opposed to the rest of the places we normally hunt. I just don't think that I could sit up in time once the shot was called. I'm still getting used to this baby belly. :wink:

LARedneck - :lol3: Yeah, more than likely my husband will be with me. We're thinking we might take my 6 year old nephew out squirrel hunting with us too. He tells us that he wants to be a hunter when he grows up. It's too cute. His dad doesn't hunt, so I think a walk through the woods for squirrels would be a great time for him and a good intro to hunting. :yes:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby WildlifeDisease » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:27 pm

YAY SQUIRRELS! :thumbsup:
Virginia Wildlife Disease Biologist
USDA-APHIS-Wildlife Services
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_dama ... inia.shtml
WildlifeDisease
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:44 pm

Please come to my house in Montana. You can shoot as many squirrels as you like! :thumbsup: They are a nuisance and I can't keep my traps empty! As for the squirrel hunting where you live, go buy a squirrel call. They are fun to play with and they definitely work! Squirrels come charging in! That's what I use to do as a kid in the woods of North Carolina and now as an adult in Montana! Good luck, safe hunting, and congrats on having twins on the way! :grooving:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby PBR Me » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:31 am

So it looks like I missed this thread the first time around, but now that it is being revived I want to know how the squirrel hunting went. I got out for squirrels a lot when I was younger. White Oaks are good habitat, and I also always had good luck around Shag Bark Hickory trees.
PBR Me
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:32 am

The boys decided that they wanted to be born 9 weeks early on Oct. 8, and I never did get out. :no: And then my husband has the nerve to start squirrel hunting this winter, while I'm at home taking care of the babies! He hasn't shot squirrels in years, and then picks it up after I said it was something I wanted to do. The nerve of some people. :tongue:

I'm actually going to talk to the other half and see if he wouldn't mind hanging out with the boys one of these afternoons and I can try it myself. I REALLY need to get outside. Otherwise,I won't be hunting until spring turkey season, and there's no way I'm missing that.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum