my poor shoulder

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: LadyK, Outdoor Gal, NorCal Cazadora

my poor shoulder

Postby huntingwidow » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:41 pm

I shot for the first time last night and my poor shoulder is a bit banged up. This is sooo not helpful when trying to pick up and hold babies all day. Luckily I burp on the opposite shoulder. how fast does a person get used to the recoil? Do I really need to go get one of those shirts with the shoulder pad? Not that I'm gonna complain about having to go shopping even if it is in the camo department. lol Wow I feel like such a wuss but thats not a part of me thats used to getting abuse.
huntingwidow
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:58 am

I know exactly what you mean! The first time I shot my husband's rifle it looked like somebody was abusing me! You have to get used to how to hold the gun, but the recoil can always make that spot tender. My husband recently sighted his rifle in for deer season, and even he came home complaining of a hurting shoulder. My advice is to avoid what feels instinctive and not try to hold the rifle or shotgun off your shoulder. Jam that butt right into your shoulder and hold it there tight! Not only will your body help stabilize the gun, but it will help absorb some of the recoil. That's what I have done and I haven't been nearly as sore, nor have I ended up covered in bruises. Just don't jam your eye up against the scope, because you WILL end up with a shiner!

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby huntingwidow » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:10 am

OUCH! haven't had to deal with a scope yet. Thanks for the advice!
huntingwidow
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:39 am

Consider going to a gas operating semi auto shotgun, as they kick sustantially less than a pump does. And keep away from the magnum loads as they add to the kick. Remember, shooting is not supposed to be punishment, but rather it is supposed to be enjoyable. So do not settle for hand me down pumps from the guys, go get yourself a semi auto with a gas operating system that fits you well. :thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Penguine » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:53 am

Something else to think about, be very sure you know exactly where your thumb is whien shooting. Two weekends ago I ended up shooting a Mallard and poking myself in the eye with my right thumb.

Last weekend a buddy of mine shot a Mallard and ended up "thumbing" his face.. LOL.. Got the duck though!

But yeah, butt the gun tightly to your shoulder and that should help alot.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:45 pm

I hope I am not overstepping any rules but this post touches on a very important subject. The first problem is you can find youth guns and standard guns but try and find a quality firearm built for a woman. I am breaking in my fiance to hunting. I went all out and found a browning gold women's model 12ga. Its gas auto and is cut shorter for women. She does show a little redness in the shoulder after 100 targets but its comfortable for her to shoot and has helped her become a much better shot. I think its time for the women shooters to put some pressure on the other firearms manufactures to produce firearms that do not need modification for women shooters. I think its highly imperative that women be given the same opportunity to select from several manufactures for a firearm that fit them. This would reduce the recoil problem some. Trying to introduce women shooters to the sport with firearms that are too light, too bulky, too heavy and kick too much is ruining our chances for having some fine hunters in the field.
Try a gas auto and light loads but make sure the gun is not too long or short.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby gsphunter » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:37 pm

Try a Limbsaver recoil pad. They are really cheap compared to a different gun. My girlfriend has a stress fracture in her shooting shoulder, so recoil was a big issue with her. We went and got a gun that fit her well and the recoil pad, and she doesn't have a problem with her shoulder anymore. They are actually supposed to reduce up to 48% or felt recoil from what I've heard.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:59 pm

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen, we really appreciate it!
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby huntingwidow » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:30 am

Yeah thanks guys!
huntingwidow
hunter

Postby MrsJumpshooter » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:49 pm

I shot the 870 12 gage pump express I have shot 1 box of 3" and soem 31/2 through it and I havent been able to feel a kick yet and havent had a sore shoulder. I have noticed that the pump uses the recoile to help eject the shell at first i thought that the gun was jamming but then I realized that it had ejected the shell and loaded another one and i never new that it had done it.. Just my 2 cents
I hunt it, Therfore I cook it too!
MrsJumpshooter
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum