Shotgun options for new shooter??

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, LadyK, NorCal Cazadora

Shotgun options for new shooter??

Postby kjm1022 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:35 pm

I'm wondering what shotgun to get my fiance? :huh:

She will be getting her license in about a month, just waiting for it to get back to the police dept. We will be shooting skeet and sporting clays together mostly, I dont think her schedule will allow for hunting at this time, but possibly in the future?

This will be her first shotgun, she has used my Sx2 a few times but is a bit heavy and kicks pretty hard. I cant determine if a semi-auto or an over/under would be better, and probably in 20 gage? Any women on here have an opinion of what to buy based off of personal experience? She is 5'8", 125lbs, athetic build, long arms. We havent talked about how much to spend but I'm thinking something entry level in the $500-$800 range to start. I'm not sure if women look for something different in a gun than men do that I should be looking for?

kjm1022
hunter

Re: Shotgun options for new shooter??

Postby DirtyRic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:16 pm

We bought a Mossberg SA-20 for my g/f, its a black synthetic in a 26 inch barrel 20 gauge. I think we paid around $425 at gander mountain. It's working out really well for her, she killed a bunch of ducks this fall with it. We also shoot a lot of trap and sporting clays. Its a great option if she ever plans to hunt in the future with it.
fowlhunter wrote:If it decoys chances are it's not leaving!
DirtyRic
hunter

Postby Quackity Gal » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:15 pm

FWIW...

This season I shot my dad's old (and I mean 20 years old) Citori o/u 12 gauge. I love it. Granted, I only get 2 shots but it just makes me try harder. I've shot some semi-automatics and pumps, and really just like the feel of this gun. So far my shoulder hasn't ever bothered me after shooting all day.

And, my girly side loves the walnut stock and bluing on it!

Best bet is to just shop around and have her fire different models and go from there. It's such a personalized choice in the end.

-Quackity
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham
Quackity Gal
hunter

Postby Naturegirl » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:00 pm

I started on a Benelli Super Nova and just switched to a Benelli SBE (both 12 gauge) and both worked great. I have never shot a 20 gauge so couldn't tell you, but I have no problem shooting a 12. The SBE really is a great gun, but a little out of the price range you mentioned.
Naturegirl
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby Quackity Gal » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:17 pm

Some more info FWIW...

I decided I really don't want to bang up my Browning, so I started looking for an alternative shotgun...now, not having shot any of these yet, my initial thoughts are:

I have short arms and the SBE was too long.
Benellis tended to fit my frame better than Winchesters and Berettas.
I'm officially in love the Benelli M2...fit, weight, barrel length (26")

Next steps

Fire some of my top choices
Find the Remington 870 and give it a try
Convince my dad he REALLY loves me and wants to give me a great birthday present this year! :lol3:
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham
Quackity Gal
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:34 am

CZ makes a nice little 20 ga semi auto (can't remember the model number) that is a perfect women's/youth model in the $450-500 range. It is lightweight with a shorter "youth" stock length and dimensions and does a good job of managing recoil being an auto.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby ladyoftheblind » Tue May 18, 2010 12:50 pm

I have a Charles Daly youth 20ga. semi auto, pump action. Which cost us around $250... but that little gun kicks like a mule because it's so light! ( I put 100 rounds through it at the shooting range the first time I "really" shot it.... I thought I was "just being a girl" by thinking it kicked too hard... but sure enough the next day I had the bruises to prove it. But we ended up putting a nice limb saver on it and it seems to kick a little less.. but now I still flinch from it. Now that being said, if she has long arms a youth model might be too short for her. (I'm 5'2", I have a short reach) We've recently been looking at investing in a Remington 887 Nitro 12 ga It's pump action.. It's plastic so it's extremely light. Look it up. It gets great reviews. I tried it out at Gander Mountain and fell in love with it and can't get it out of my head. Good Luck on your search!
ladyoftheblind
Newb

Postby kjm1022 » Tue May 25, 2010 1:27 pm

Well, she's been shooting my Remington 870 Express 20ga with a 28" barrel. We've been shooting skeet together and she feels comfortable with it, so there it is. :thumbsup:
kjm1022
hunter

Postby klist » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:16 am

^ my girl just bought a 870 express 12 g with 28 inch barrel

and she likes it alot, shes about 5'4, thin frame. and she can shoot my 870 12 g 30 inch barrel just fine
klist
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:07 pm

She's buying her own Winchester Super x3 tonight. :thumbsup:
kjm1022
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:02 pm

DirtyRic wrote:We bought a Mossberg SA-20 for my g/f, its a black synthetic in a 26 inch barrel 20 gauge. I think we paid around $425 at gander mountain. It's working out really well for her, she killed a bunch of ducks this fall with it. We also shoot a lot of trap and sporting clays. Its a great option if she ever plans to hunt in the future with it.

Bought one of these for my wife as well, she didn't really want it so I shoot it when I feel like it. It fits her good and she likes to shoot clays with it but doesn't want to kill any of mother natures creatures she said she will leave that up to me. I like it she likes it, with 3" duck loads in it, it kicks like a .22 mag. She is 5'1" and the normal stock was a little to long for her so I called up the manufacturer and they sent me a youth stock free of charge. I think I got lucky or worded my emails just right but I didn't pay a dime for it. Check these out they also come with 5 factory choke tubes, skeet, ic, mod, im, and full all steel rated.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum