Help

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, LadyK, NorCal Cazadora

Help

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:41 pm

My girlfriend who is country girl through and through wants to go duck hunting with me this september, And i couldnt be happier about it! Any advice on good ways to get her broken in? suggestions on types of ducks to target, types of places to take her? any advice would be appreciated
miss him once shame on me, miss him twice on me agian, miss him three times damit! reload and watch where that SOB lands this isnt over.
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Re: Help

Postby Quackity Gal » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:28 am

:welcome:

Some of the basics:

Foot/Hand warmers - the heat packets can be found at any store. Always advisable for when you're sitting in the blind. It helps!

Camo/Waders - Cabela's just came out with a women's wader. See NorCal Cazadora's blog for more information (and general clothing tips and tricks). I use the men's RedHead waders and wear 2 pairs of extra socks to fill up the shoe (I'm a size 5 in men's but the wader part didn't fit, so went up to a 6). A lot of it is trial and error for what fits.

Boomsticks- A lot of women start with 20g or youth models, I shoot a 12 (started with a Citori over/under, just moved up to the Benelli M2). I'm a bit on the curvacious side with a bigger frame so the 12g works just fine for me. Make sure she heads out to the shooting range before hand to find a gun that fits her (if she doesn't already have one).

Ducks - Teal are quick! I usually pass on them as a new hunter (I'd rather keep my cripples down to a minimum). Mallards and sprigs are pretty nice targets. I don't even bother with the geese (one day). It's about comfort level for each person. I highly recommend shooting clays (if there's a course near you, that's been extremely helpful for me to judge distance/speed) in the off-season to help with accuracy.

Fun - Enjoy the time. There's a lot more women hunters out there than meets the eye. While we don't have the same numbers as men, we are out there. There's a lot of information here in these boards, so I highly recommend that your girlfriend reads through. I've found it extremely helpful!

Cheers,
Quackity
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham
Quackity Gal
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:50 am

Quackity Gal, gave a lot of good tips.

Yeah, does your girlfriend shoot much already? If she does is she used to rifles or shotguns. Speaking as someone who grew up rifle shooting, it took me a while to get used to the shotgun. Point, don't aim, etc. Absolutely take your out to practice beforehand, have fun. And gun fit is SO important! Make sure she has a gun that fits her. If the gun doesn't fit, she'll miss more, it's more frustrating, and you feel the recoil more in an ill-fitting gun.

Warmth! Those chemical heater packs are awesome. Love 'em. If it's really cold, having one of the larger warmers near your core really helps to keep you warm. It's good to keep some fabric between it and skin though.

When your showing / telling her what to do, don't just say do this or don't do that. Explain why. Trust me, it helps. And just have fun. :)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:13 pm

thanks for the advice, i myself weigh 220 my girl friend weighs 105 lol so my guns probly wont fit her that great. She has shot a little, mostly 22's and a 4-10 of mine, but im planing on getting her a 20 gauge pump and working with her alot this summer. Thank you for the advice i really do appreciate it!
miss him once shame on me, miss him twice on me agian, miss him three times damit! reload and watch where that SOB lands this isnt over.
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Postby ladyoftheblind » Mon May 17, 2010 6:35 pm

Remember to get her a limb saver! I have a Charles Daly Youth 20ga. and that thing kicks like a donkey. No joke I have pictures of the bruises to prove it (before I bought the limb saver) and now it's great. Right now we are actually looking at buying a Remington 887 Nitro 12 ga. It's plastic so it's really light and it has great ratings, with little recoil. I'm still fairly new to hunting and these are the things that I remember will make a difference in a good comfortable hunting day.
*Keep her warm if you are in a cooler climate area---I started out with cheap un-isulated rubber waders and it sucked.

*Keep her positive, it can be nerve wracking hunting with the "boys" or people more experienced than you (her)... I hunt with guys since none of my friends carry the same interests as me...

*Buy her a call- something of her own she can practice with. I love Quackhead brand! They are affordable with terrific sound. I was devastated (lol) when I lost part of my Quackhead - Double J call... it was a great double reed call and after I lost it we couldn't find it in the store anymore, then finally this year my husband bought me the most romantic thing he'd bought me in a while.... he found the Double J in the store! I was so excited!.... i ramble...

Just go out have fun and enjoy the experience! Oh and bring a camera she'll want to brag about her day out! Good luck!
ladyoftheblind
Newb

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:17 pm

Well thank you i do appreciate it and the call is a good ida im looking for a double reed now
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Postby daffy... » Tue May 18, 2010 7:13 pm

pump shotguns, short/safe boat rides

i like the feeling of having someone new with a gun that wont fire all 3 shots at me before they even know what happen, thats why i say pump. if a situation gets hairy ive only gotta dodge one shot. keep boat rides short and safe. also, really work on her with "skeet" shooting :thumbsup:
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:37 am

We've been shooting alot of blue rock she's getting pretty decent :grooving:
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum