How to start?!!!

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

How to start?!!!

Postby Picaboo3 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:49 am

I went hunting a few times in high school with a boyfriend who let me tag along. I live in Oregon and would love to really dive in but have no one to teach me or show me the ropes. Any tips on how to start something that makes me so excited to do for the rest of my life! Really excited but discouraged...
Picaboo3
hunter

Re: How to start?!!!

Postby lumpy2181 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:01 pm

First of all :welcome: . Secondly you have already started on the right path. Knowledge is key in this sport. We should start with a few questions for you. 1) How many times have you been? 2) What all can you recall from those trips? 3) How well can you ID birds in flight? 4) What equipment do you have or have access to? Will you be hunting public areas or clubs/private land? 5) What species are you most interested in hunting? That seems like enough to get a baseline of what you know and need to learn. There are many people in here with many years of experience that will be able to answer almost any question you may have. Good luck and welcome to the addiction.
Bgold wrote:... I don't think we're doing it right though and my butt sure hurts...

That's what she said!!!
lumpy2181
hunter

Postby Picaboo3 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:27 pm

Thanks for the welcome!! Was so nervous everyone would be like "ignore blondie!".
K to answer the questions-- blushing because they are so sad---
1) Only been deer and Elk hunting four times.
2) We went to eastern oregon and walked around, set tree stands, scoped out specific Bucks and did some target shooting.
3)Have never even been duck hunting, there is just something about it that draws me to it. I have thrown dead birds for an awesome trainer on Sauvie Island, Oregon and really loved how the dogs work with you. So wouldn't know birds in flight. Are there specific ones i should study?
4) I have my own 22 and have access to weighters, was looking at Cabellas for boots. Have been told it is super, wet and cold so wanting to get the right set up for all that!
5) Public land? Not sure
6)Ugh blonde answer... species? Birds? Ducks? or should i start with a different bird?
I know these are all sad and ignorant answers but i am a fast learner, have shot clay pigeons and targets. Just really want to get addicted and educated! I am so green!! Help! lol :help:
Picaboo3
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:35 pm

i think if i were you id join a local Ducks unlimited or simular group. let them no your very interested in learning the sport but have limited education. i dont no about other chapter but weve done this with many people. we invite them to skeet shoots and give advise on gear and material to study to help prepare for a hunt... if they seem safe, trust worthy we invite them into our hunting parties... thatll get your foot in the door. from there est. your own gear, hunting spots and do your best to return their favor. via scouting out new hunting areas and inviting them to try your newly found grounds

good luck. be warned, duck hunting is a very dangerous, overwhelming drug. your life will no longer be the same.might wanna talk to your doctor for something to help with the sleepless nights
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby lumpy2181 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:17 pm

These are some good links to start with. The best way to learn how to ID is to go to a local park or reserve and watch/study the ducks there. I would look in to the puddler species mostly unless you will be hunting larger lakes/ocean. Mallards, Teal (3 diff species) Pintail, Gadwall, Wigeon, Shovler. Divers include Canvasback, Redhead, Scaup (bluebill), Bufflehead (butterball) Goldeneye, ringneck (ringbill/blackjack). I made a study guide w/pics that i googled and then made a powerpoint slide show w/the pics and info on the birds. You will probably see some geese up there too so look at Canada geese, Snow geese, Whitefront Geese (specklebellies). You will need a shotgun (12 or 20ga) and make sure you get non-toxic shotshells (steel is most common). This should help you get started. If you have any questions or need some tips, ask away.

http://www.ducks.org/
http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/
Bgold wrote:... I don't think we're doing it right though and my butt sure hurts...

That's what she said!!!
lumpy2181
hunter

Postby Picaboo3 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:27 am

I know i already find myself seaching the internet for all kinds of clubs and learning techniques. Plus dogs! How long did you guys hunt before getting your own dog to train?
Picaboo3
hunter

Postby Quackity Gal » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:37 am

Hey Picaboo! :welcome:

Welcome to the addiction of duck hunting! I just started last year, and it's all I think about these days. It does seem intimidating at first, but I've found everyone to be extremely helpful. When you have a few hours to burn, read through the DHC forums. It'll suck you in, but you can gain a lot of information. I was lucky enough to meet up with some great guys from the California thread that have helped me find a great used gun, references for where to purchase items, what to purchase and how to shoot better. You can also check out NorCal Cazadora's blog - duck hunting from a women's prospective. She also has gear write-ups for women.

As for dogs, well, I just picked up my 2 year old BLM (black lab male). He's kind of a rescue dog, so I'm "late" on his training, but he was started off really well. I'm interested in both waterfowl and upland, so that was my motivation for getting him. Depending on how confident you feel with your hunting, the timing just depends. Having a dog in the field can be an added distraction just as much as being a helpful aid for flushing and retrieving. You can always get the dog now, and wait a season before you bring him out with you.

That's my two cents for what it's worth. Just remember - jump in and enjoy it!

Cheers,
Quackity
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham
Quackity Gal
hunter

Postby firefighter1302 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:32 pm

Picaboo3, welcome to the quacky world of waterfowl. As stated prior, the main thing is research, research, research. Whether it be reading a book or waterfowl magazine or my favorite watching videos. Look in to public grounds in your area, and learn the terrain. Always let someone know where you will be and when to expect you back. As fot getting a lab, it's never too early. If you hunt or not, you will always have a loyal companion. If others are like myself,(always enjoying getting others into the sport.) it wont be hard to find an open invitation to go.
Goodluck on your quest, FF1302
firefighter1302
hunter

Postby Picaboo3 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:25 pm

FF 1302, I have heard split opnions on having the dog be just for working and also for a buddy? What is the reason some people don't allow anything but a working relationship with the dogs?
Thanks for the welcome to all!!
Picaboo3
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:12 pm

Picaboo,I know you are ready to jump in with both feet. Great! Glad you are joining the ranks! Having a "working dog" takes a lot of time and training.... for the dog and the trainer. It's my recomendation to hold off a short while on the dog, get yourself up and running,it's an exciting sport with so much to learn....Enjoy that process, after a season or two, you will be more settled in and will enjoy the process of training your own dog. Just my $.02 :biggrin:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:06 am

I definitely agree with the tip of finding a local Ducks Unlimited Chapter. There will be many people who will offer to show you the ropes and take you out for a hunt. Get ready to spend lots of money on your new addiction :lol3: . I've been duck hunting for about 4 years now and love it. I bought some very cheap clothing and equipment to start and have slowly been upgrading and replacing it over the years. You will find out what works and what doesnt for where you hunt. My 2 cents on a few items that you should spend money on right away and save yourself the aggravation is 1. warm, waterproof clothing and as good as you can afford waders. 2. A quality set of decoys for whatever you're going after. 3. A reliable gun that you dont mind getting wet, muddy or scratched. Those are the 3 things I've spent the most time experimenting with. Other than that, get out and scout, scout, scout! :thumbsup:
kjm1022
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:10 pm

First I want to say welcome! :) Always glad to see someone wanting to get into hunting.
I also wanted to add to the great advise above that you should come over to the Duck Calling forum. Lots of good help on getting you started on that adventure as well! nothing sexier than a woman that can call ducks! So come get some advise on starter duck calls and how to also go about learning to use it.
See ya around the site and good luck!
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby firefighter1302 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:19 pm

Picaboo3, you're right, some argue that you need to have a lab just for working and not for a family member. It is my opinion, that I hate to see a lab or any dog in a 10x10 pen or crate, its entire life except for 60days of season. I have two chessies, a choc, and a blonde lab. Each are like a family member, and always by my side. For ex. As we speak my blonde is here at my desk, had to stop typin for a cple cause she wanted some attention, only because I ha ve been gone for more than 24hrs. They have never had to wear a shock collar of anykind and have never disappointed. When they do wrong, they know they have, and they always try to please. If you are seriously considering training and or working your own, I would suggest the book "Waterdog". But like i stated before, my thoughts and my words are only of my personal opinion. As for calling, like someone stated earlier, check out the calling forums, and listen to sound files. You don't have to go out and purchase an expensive acrylic call to sound good. To me some of the better sounding calls, cost around $20. Hope this helps, and also, like someone else stated about a female blowing a duck call is sexy.. a female in camo alone is an A++ in my book
FF1302
firefighter1302
hunter

Postby Yeller Dawg » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:47 pm

Hi Picaboo,
Welcome. I'd suggest you post an introduction and this same question on the Oregon state forum. Lots of folks right there in your area that I'm sure would be willing to help out.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to ask any questions off line. Sometimes an open forum can be a bit intimidating if you're not even sure what to ask.

Good Luck,
YD

PS the Oregon Waterfowl Festival is in about a month. You can google it for more info.
Washington State Voters...

Vote NO on I-594

http://www.voteno594.com/initiative-594/
Yeller Dawg
hunter

Postby Picaboo3 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:21 pm

Oregon state forum? Is that through this website? How do i get hooked in with that? Thanks for all the awesome advice!!!!! I feel so welcomed! Really wanted to dive in head first and this forum is getting me so stoked! Did you guys mean the duck calling forum on this site? Yeah, for sure perfecting calls is a must! Been working on it! :lol3:
THANK YOU THANK YOU!! :bow:
Picaboo3
hunter

Postby Yeller Dawg » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:16 pm

Yes, Picaboo. From the forum's main page, scroll down towards the bottom of the page and you'll start to see the different state forums (or just use this link to drill down to it http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=52).

Just post your intro there. I think everyone enjoys helping a new person get into the sport. :thumbsup:

YD
Washington State Voters...

Vote NO on I-594

http://www.voteno594.com/initiative-594/
Yeller Dawg
hunter

Postby Picaboo3 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:28 pm

Thanks so much YD! Was trying to figure out how to tap into the local scene. Going to my first Dog hunt trials with a suavie island chapter to get my feet wet with meeting some of the real sport pros! lol Hopefully it goes well! So glad I'm addicted! :beer:
Picaboo3
hunter

Postby Picaboo3 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:59 pm

firefighter1302 wrote:Picaboo3, welcome to the quacky world of waterfowl. As stated prior, the main thing is research, research, research. Whether it be reading a book or waterfowl magazine or my favorite watching videos. Look in to public grounds in your area, and learn the terrain. Always let someone know where you will be and when to expect you back. As fot getting a lab, it's never too early. If you hunt or not, you will always have a loyal companion. If others are like myself,(always enjoying getting others into the sport.) it wont be hard to find an open invitation to go.
Goodluck on your quest, FF1302

What video's would you suggest? And i went to my first hunt test this saturday and it was so fun! Loved watching them work with the dogs, it was like watching a magic trick with the hand ques! Are all of your dogs hunt trained? I have a Newfoundland lab mix but he's five, too late for him :lol3:
Picaboo3
hunter

Postby firefighter1302 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:47 am

Picaboo3 wrote:
What video's would you suggest? And i went to my first hunt test this saturday and it was so fun! Loved watching them work with the dogs, it was like watching a magic trick with the hand ques! Are all of your dogs hunt trained? I have a Newfoundland lab mix but he's five, too late for him :lol3:

My personal preference on videos are any of the "Echo call" videos, but only because the majority are, filmed here in AR, in flooded timber like I hunt. Here is a link to some of the Echo footage
http://www.youtube.com/user/Outdoorvideomaster To me his better videos include Rick Dunn, Robb Watts, and Teal. As for it being too late for the 5yo.. dont cut him short, You can never tell, he may still have that drive and ability to please. If it is to that point where his ways are set, don't let it put a bad taste in your mouth toward owning another, later down the road. Season is creeping up on us quickly, if it would just cool off a little I would be more enthused on going outside and camoing pirogues, re-working trailers, building a boat blind, but when the heat index is 105, the A/C is hard to leave..lol
FF1302
firefighter1302
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:44 pm

I just found these videos online the other day, I watched almost every episode while crushing some beers :beer: !! They are free to watch and seem to have some nice tips and tricks for seting up deeks and what not. check it out.

http://www.ducksdogsanddecoys.com/tv/index.htm

Welcome to the craziest addiction I have ever had

jerrod
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:15 pm

Also dont listen to anyone hype up any gun, goto the nearest gun store and shoulder them all, look down the barrel multiple times, swing it like you are swinging on a bird, play with the action, also if its a used gun watch, nonchalantly, the face of the dealer while you are playing with the action. I am not saying that they all are but there are some shysters out there selling sub-par used guns. Just make sure its the gun for you. If you have to settle for the pump first its ok then move up to the O/U or auto. I would definitely get a 12ga if you plan on hunting ducks and geese. Just do your research also on any gun before you buy it too just like you would a car. You will probably want something that shoots at least 3" magnums and if you feel the need you can in the future upgrade to a 3 1/2 gun. Ask the guys in the ballistics forum they feel that they get almost better patterns out of 3" loads most of the time.

Remember when purchasing hunting equipment, you do get what you pay for but sometimes its just the name stamped on, or embroidered on the item you are getting when you can get the same thing for a cheaper price w/o the name. Do a little research on this also.

Then the next thing is as stated above, SCOUT, SCOUT, SCOUT!!!!!

Enjoy
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby Dakota Johnson » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:26 pm

welcom to the adiction!!!!!!!!!! now ur in it there is no turning back!
just this here peice of rock candy its not for eatin its for lookin through
Dakota Johnson
hunter

Postby duckslayer727 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:50 pm

Picaboo3 wrote:I went hunting a few times in high school with a boyfriend who let me tag along. I live in Oregon and would love to really dive in but have no one to teach me or show me the ropes. Any tips on how to start something that makes me so excited to do for the rest of my life! Really excited but discouraged...

OK, so the season opener is right around the corner, have you figured out what you are going to do? Who are you going with? What kind of gear did you invest in so far? What do you have left to get? Welcome to the sadistic addiction known as waterfowling!!
Why does work always get in the way of hunting?
duckslayer727
hunter

Postby Picaboo3 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:36 pm

duckslayer727 wrote:
Picaboo3 wrote:I went hunting a few times in high school with a boyfriend who let me tag along. I live in Oregon and would love to really dive in but have no one to teach me or show me the ropes. Any tips on how to start something that makes me so excited to do for the rest of my life! Really excited but discouraged...

OK, so the season opener is right around the corner, have you figured out what you are going to do? Who are you going with? What kind of gear did you invest in so far? What do you have left to get? Welcome to the sadistic addiction known as waterfowling!!

Have one person I'm set to go with once. Been out shooting clays and gearing up. Have a gun, ammo, borrowing waders and got some camo! All the rest i'm leaving up to the mercy of the person who is letting me tag along! So apprecitaed! And so so so stoked! Best feeling ever ever when I hit my first clay of the season! :lol: Thanks for all the encouragement! :bow: It's been so hard not to just go crazy on gear...
Picaboo3
hunter

Postby duckslayer727 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:14 pm

Picaboo3 wrote:
duckslayer727 wrote:

Have one person I'm set to go with once. Been out shooting clays and gearing up. Have a gun, ammo, borrowing waders and got some camo! All the rest i'm leaving up to the mercy of the person who is letting me tag along! So apprecitaed! And so so so stoked! Best feeling ever ever when I hit my first clay of the season! :lol: Thanks for all the encouragement! :bow: It's been so hard not to just go crazy on gear...

Don't fight it!!! GO CRAZY!!!! Everyone does anyway, the sooner you do the easier it is.......
Why does work always get in the way of hunting?
duckslayer727
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum