Any short girls have trouble walking through fields?

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: LadyK, Outdoor Gal, NorCal Cazadora

Any short girls have trouble walking through fields?

Postby missi0922 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:41 pm

Hi! I'm new to hunting this year, and new to this forum. I've been out a few time this year, and love it! My friend even bought me a 12 guage semi-automatic for Christmas. I'm having trouble getting out to put up our snow goose dcoys. I'm only 5'1" and I'm getting stuck up to my knees in mud that has a lot of clay in it. It was easier when the fields were flooded, because the water would help loosen up the mud and I could pull my feet out easier. Now the soil is dry and we're hunting snow geese, but I'm not able to walk very easily. Anyone else had this trouble or have any suggestions????
missi0922
Newb

Postby gsphunter » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:38 am

They make attachment that go over you boots that help keep you from sinking in the mud. I'm really not sure where I saw them, but the reminded me of snow shoes, but not quite as big. You might check Cabela's or something like that.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:08 am

Thanks for the info, GSP!

:thumbsup:

And :welcome: to DHC, Missi! We are glad to have you!
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby missi0922 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:53 pm

Thanks for the info! I will look at Cabelas. Thanks for the welcome too, glad to be here!
missi0922
Newb

Postby PinTeal » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:38 pm

hmm...I cannot find anything like this on Cabelas site nor the cabelas bible (hard back).

Has anyone tried these? Also, if you have, how did they work while walking through water? The mud she speaks of is only like that now since we have gotten an insane amount of rain very quickly...otherwise the mud will just continually stick to your feet until each foot weighs 30 pounds. The walking through the water will give her the most consistant trouble, IMHO. So that is the million dollar question, how well do these work in the water?

Thanks.

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:29 pm

Sorry, I can't say how they work or not, I just saw them somewhere. I guess it wasn't Cabela's since someone already checked that.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby MrsJumpshooter » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:44 pm

I also have the same prob. with getting stuck and getting traped in the bushes and not being able to see over the weeds. I also haven't been able to figure out what to do.

Kaytee
I hunt it, Therfore I cook it too!
MrsJumpshooter
hunter

Postby horse » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:22 pm

Just an idea that I use with kids I am teaching, go to shed and get old rake from there or pick on up at shoppers or menards,just cheep one(steel head not leaf rake) messure it with head standing on ground,to about 1 to 1 1/2 feet above your waste and then cute it off at that mark,and then sand cut end round and drill hole about 4 inches from rounded end.put old shoe or boot lacesthrough hole and tie lop that your hand will go though with gloves on,rake serves several purposes.walking stick,push pole,mud scrapper,and when you get stuck in mud its that third leg you need to push yourself out of mud and keep your ballance,it also works good for walk ins to ponds with alot of rushes,use rake to push down rushes in path you want(but remember to pull from sides every few feet to make more solidwalk path) I have used this method and walked over waist deep mud on top of the rushes to where i wanted to go.it may sound funny but if you try it once you will see what I mean.There are alot of uses for it in the feild from the mud to flipping head up and shoving handle in the mud and sitting on head( just make shure teath are real dull)
smile all and have a great day all
horse
hunter

Postby Trout Terminator » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:39 am

Well, i also have the same problem when i go fishing at my local ponds with the muck. what i found work is if you have a larger area so that you dont sink in. my recomendation would be to get something like this...
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

it is a snow shoe yes, but if you but it in a large size, you have the area that you need so that you wont sink into the mud. or you could make one, go to your local hardware store, pick up some wood (or make it out of fiber glass sence it is alot lighter), and make a large platform that you could tie into your shoe and walk through the mud with out sinking. But make sure that you can get it off of your foot, becouse if you sink (which can and might happen) you dont want to be stuck there with a platform that has gained extra weight which makes it an anchor. just what i though of, hope it helps,

-Trout Terminator
Trout Terminator
hunter

Postby 30 caliber » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:16 pm

I think I saw those snowshoe like things at Sportsman's Guide. www.sportsmansguide.com Good luck :thumbsup:
30 caliber
hunter

Postby Female Goose Hunter » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:56 pm

im five foot even so i have the same problems, i learned to carry a walking stick while not really a fast mover through it it helps a bunch. i also let the bigger folk that weigh more go first, that way i know if they sink to their buttholes i dont step there, trick of the trade

Remember if ya cant tell what it is before ya shoot, dont pull the trigger :thumbsup:
Female Goose Hunter
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum