Tips on Taking Fairer Sex to the Blind

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

Tips on Taking Fairer Sex to the Blind

Postby TNAL45 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:02 pm

I've been blessed with a girlfriend that loves the outdoors and really loves to learn. She has decided that she wants to go duck and goose hunting with me next season. She has hunted doves before (with limited success so time on the clay range is a must), and killed her first two turkeys this season. She was so excited about the turkeys that now she wants to try everything. I got her a couple calls and a calling cd to play around with and she has already bought a pair of waders so it appears she means business. I'm just wondering what advice you all have for taking her and making the experience enjoyable and not one of being miserably cold in miserable weather. Also how do I convince my hunting buddies that it's 'cool' to have a girl go with us during guy time? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
cannon wrote:Rules, in general, are bad for me. Left to my own resources, I'm a fairly responsible citizen. Once rules are in place, I have an insatiable desire to break them repeatedly. It's a sickness.
TNAL45
hunter

Re: Tips on Taking Fairer Sex to the Blind

Postby TomKat » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:50 am

Why don't you ask how to make the moon turn purple?

Duck hunting, by its nature, can be cold! My advice is to buy her warm gear and not to fret about it; if she can't cut it, no big deal, duck hunting aint for everyone. You aren't magic, just treat her like you would your out of state cousin who is visiting.

The bigger fuss you make, the less your "friends" are going to accept her. Personally, I would never deny her the opportunity to hunt, but I enjoy being with men in a duck blind. Its one of the last frontiers where men can be men, IMO.

If they don't like it, get new friends, or just go alone with that special lady. Just go on opening weekend when its warm, film it, and the 2 of you can watch the video during cold weather.

Good luck young man.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby WTN10 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:24 am

TNAL45 wrote:Also how do I convince my hunting buddies that it's 'cool' to have a girl go with us during guy time? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

You don't. It's either cool or it isn't and that all depends on her and them. If she doesn't act cool, then it's not, and you trying to convince them otherwise won't help.

I'd say give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out. If it does, then it's all good.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby Quackity Gal » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:43 pm

Yay for you for encouraging her to get involved in hunting. I would suggest dedicating a few hunts to just the two of you. It can be intimidating being the new hunter (especially being a woman) when out duck hunting. This way she can get confident with duck hunting without the added pressure of "upsetting" the guys or making rookie mistakes in front of an audience.

As for keeping warm, put a towel in the pack so she can dry her hands off before sticking them in pockets if she doesn't have a pair of dark colored waterproof gloves to wear. Our extremities get cold quicker than most. I HIGHLY suggest putting her in wicking under gear. If there's a strenuous walk that creates sweat, this will help keep her dry under the waders. Helps avoid swamp/itchy butt when the sweat dries (believe me, it is NOT fun having "ants in the pants" when trying to sit still for hours on end).

Peeing is perhaps one of the biggest problems for women out in the blind with waders on. There are a couple of posts here that address the issue. I tend to opt for the "dehydration" method to avoid having to deal with nature's call while hunting.

Also, check out NorCal Cazadora's blog www.norcalcazadora.com. She does a wonderful job addressing women's issues in hunting (not the political stuff, but the kind of issues like peeing in waders, etc).

Good luck this season! If nothing else, you know you have an upland partner!

Cheers,
Quackity Gal
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham
Quackity Gal
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:39 am

Thats a good post qgal, very nice.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby fwlgrl24 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:06 am

TNAL, I may not be the best to answer this but I'll give it a shot. Quackity has some great advice for keeping your girl comfortable, and I'll try to give you some insight on the other side of it.

Yes, it is important to try to make it easy on her, and make her as comfortable as possible, but duck hunting just isn't for everyone, so take it slow, and don't push it. I even have male friends that hunt everything they have the opportunity to, but won't go duck hunting because it's too much work, too early, too cold, etc, etc, etc. Also, I would recommend separating going out with the boys and going with her. This of course depends on your friends' attitudes, but in my experience I feel as though some may consider her coming along as an intrusion, whether they mention it or not. Like the guys have said before... some see it as guy time, and an opportunity to get away from the women in the house. I've been on both ends of this... I've had my brother and my friends try to bring their girlfriends out with us, and I've been the girlfriend going along with the friends. From the perspective of the girlfriend, sometimes it can be very intimidating to go out with a bunch of boys, especially if the girl is new to hunting.

My best suggestion would be to go with the boys in the morning when it's likely to be less comfortable for her, and then take her out in the afternoons yourself. That way, when you go out with her, you won't be so disappointed or frustrated if you don't see or take many birds. Take a camera, the dog, and have fun with it. If you take her out with your friends, the best thing I can say is try to keep being a couple out of it. Your friends are a lot more likely to accept her if you aren't doing everything for her and trying to keep her comfortable all the time. Suggest that she help set out decoys, cover up the blind, etc and your friends will be more likely to enjoy her being there, rather than another body taking up room and not contributing anything.

Anyways, hope this helps, and I think it's awesome that she's getting into it and ya'll can share that together! Like quackity said, if all else fails, at least you have an upland and skeet partner!
You have been banned for the following reason:
nasty duck hunter

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
fwlgrl24
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:17 am

With Ma Tealer we started out with a $1100 trip to Cabelas, she has better gear then I do. We started her first season with upland and began working in to colder earlier hunts. She will go any where any time now, as long as deer season is closed, she prefers big game. As far as the buddies go, mine are all fine with it, she does NOT go on every hunt. So we maintain the "man" time. Although now her crap talking ability as far surpassed mine. I love having Ma Tealer along, in fact pretty sure that is why we are getting married at the end of the month.
She sent this pic in our wedding invites. This was the first real hunt she enjoyed.
Proof some women can handle the cold.
I think I got pretty lucky.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Quackity Gal » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:20 pm

Tealer,

Awesome photos! Congrats on the upcoming wedding, and more importantly, having a new, awesome hunting partner! Here's to many seasons together for the two of you!!!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

-Quackity
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham
Quackity Gal
hunter

Postby duckslayer727 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:10 am

Tealer wrote:With Ma Tealer we started out with a $1100 trip to Cabelas, she has better gear then I do. We started her first season with upland and began working in to colder earlier hunts. She will go any where any time now, as long as deer season is closed, she prefers big game. As far as the buddies go, mine are all fine with it, she does NOT go on every hunt. So we maintain the "man" time. Although now her crap talking ability as far surpassed mine. I love having Ma Tealer along, in fact pretty sure that is why we are getting married at the end of the month.
She sent this pic in our wedding invites. This was the first real hunt she enjoyed.
Proof some women can handle the cold.
I think I got pretty lucky.

HA!! Don't kid yourself her crap GIVING abilities far surpass your's too!! lol

But seriously, I would take her out by yourselves, just the two of you. I'd go early season, when it isn't too cold, and the birds are not quite so call/decoy shy. Give her the best chances for success. The easiest way for someone to get hooked on waterfowling is to have some early success. It doesn't have to be a full limit the first hunt, in fact I think just the opposite, one or two birds, but some good chances. I love getting the birds inside of 20 yards before I shoot, it is the excitement of it all that got me hooked. I am sure it is the same for most. Get her excited about it, but let her see the challenges too. Once she's hooked (probably no more than a few hunts and a couple birds under her belt if she's like most) then you can introduce her to some of the guys. You probably already know which of your hunting buddies will not only be "ok" with it, but but the ones that will be very supportive to it. Don't kid yourself, for most guys, hunting is the "The Man Time", but being able to hunt with your love, is a bonding experience second to none. Good luck!

And Tealer, I'm gonna try to be there next weekend!!
Why does work always get in the way of hunting?
duckslayer727
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:56 pm

I agree... Take her out 1 on 1......... You can then concentrate on helping her have a good time. Don't treat her like a kid but introduce her to the sport the same way..............
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:45 am

Having taken several ladies on their first duck, turkey, and deer hunts, I found that the best way of handling the situation is to treat everyone the same, and with respect, regardless of the sex. True, they may not have the strength of some men, but I have found that they are more intelligent than men :smile: and are quick learners. I was there when several shot their first deer, showed them how to dress and butcher the carcass, and on their second deer they didn't need much help. On their third deer I wasn't even there. One shot a big buck, dragged it out of the woods, hung it, butchered it, and disposed of the guts by herself. They can shoot damn well, and we have hunted together enough now that they haul decoys, set them out, call, and you had better be ready, because they will call the shot in a second and smoke a duck before you can even raise your gun. :lol3: We need more lady hunters!
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby FOWLGAL » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:04 pm

I agree with taking her out on a 1-1 hunt. I started with my husband after his hunting partner went blind do to a surgery and it only took 1 time and I was hooked & I too have better hunting clothes than my husband.

1 suggestion that I have and it really works GREAT for cold weather. I use a thermacare back wrap (very thin dont even know its on except for the warmth) & foot warmers that are full insole lengths i get them at walmart & both last a full 8 hours so I put the back warmer on in the morning & when i come home I take it off and when I go back for the evening i put it back on. Its really great because I dont need to wear alot of clothes (long john shirt, reg shirt and my drake equator) and I am toasty in 12 degree temp.

Good luck & if your friends dont want to hunt with her then there not your friends. I actually go out with my husbands hunting buddies with out him and they are glad because sometimes he cant hunt and they can and I always will hunt (well i do have to work sometimes)
FOWLGAL
hunter

Postby TNAL45 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:19 pm

Great advice guys and gals. Just thought I'd give an update. She has hunted two days this year and killed 4 ducks. She got a drake woodie that is going on the wall and a beaut of a mallard drake. She's hooked! :yes:
cannon wrote:Rules, in general, are bad for me. Left to my own resources, I'm a fairly responsible citizen. Once rules are in place, I have an insatiable desire to break them repeatedly. It's a sickness.
TNAL45
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:59 pm

Dang I that the title said "in" the blind.
This would have been a interesting read . :grooving:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum