Expecting wife and duck hunting

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, LadyK, NorCal Cazadora

Expecting wife and duck hunting

Postby okbucksnducks » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:54 pm

My wife is due February 27 and wants to hunt the whole season which is fine with me and her doctor. Any of you ladies do this? Is there anything out of the ordinary that I could expect? This is our first child. Thanks in advance.

Abraham
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Re: Expecting wife and duck hunting

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:31 pm

I love your wife already! I don't have kids, so I really bring no expertise to this conversation, but I did want to lend my moral support. And I'm going to guess that the only problem you're going to have is that your child will want to start hunting ducks very early in life.

Congratulations!
Holly Heyser
Editor, California Waterfowl Magazine
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby TomKat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:33 pm

Enjoy your last season together?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby okbucksnducks » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:05 pm

NorCal Cazadora wrote:I love your wife already! I don't have kids, so I really bring no expertise to this conversation, but I did want to lend my moral support. And I'm going to guess that the only problem you're going to have is that your child will want to start hunting ducks very early in life.

Congratulations!

Thanks. I'm just looking for ideas that I don't have from her first season last season.
I would say that's a good problem.
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:08 pm

TomKat wrote:Enjoy your last season together?

Why do you say that?
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:18 pm

Kids take a lot of time!

I wish the best for all 3 of you, God bless you all.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:40 pm

LOL, I know a hunting couple with small children, and they squabble a lot about who gets to hunt on any given day. If you ask me, that's a great problem to have! But still... Got any baby-loving grandparents in the vicinity to keep the marital peace? :smile:
Holly Heyser
Editor, California Waterfowl Magazine
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby okbucksnducks » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:18 pm

Yeah I know. We'll figure out next season when it comes around.

And thanks.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:24 pm

Yeah we do. My parents live on the way to where we hunt and her mom lives about the same distance from us but opposite direction.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:27 pm

NorCal Cazadora wrote: But still... Got any baby-loving grandparents in the vicinity to keep the marital peace? :smile:

This ^^^ :)

First off, congrats! Being a parent is a whole new wonderful ride. My twin boys will be 2 this October, on the opening day of duck season here. They're already blowing on duck and goose calls!

I don't get out hunting as much as my husband does, obviously, but we take advantage of grandparents that love to watch the boys and who understand our passion for hunting. At the same time, I'm a stay-at-home mom, and as the boys get a little older, I'll have more opportunities to solo hunt during weekdays than my husband does.

I had all the best intentions of hunting while I was pregnant, but the boys came 9 weeks early, so that kind of went out the window. I would say, you'll have to expect to take it a little slower than usual. And your wife will definitely have to pee more than usual. It just happens with pregancy. Do you hunt out of a boat or field hunt most of the time? That sounds easier on her than the way we usually hunt, walking in to beaver ponds, etc.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby okbucksnducks » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:45 pm

I hunt ponds on private property. I can drive pretty close to all of them and do pond jumping as well. She already carries the light stuff. Extra pee breaks will be a new challenge.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby MsMac » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:30 pm

:thumbsup: to your wife! Now that's a momma that can provide for her young if need be!
MsMac
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum