One week left!

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, LadyK, NorCal Cazadora

One week left!

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:40 pm

Until early goose season. And the anticipation is killing me. We're actually hunting with a guide this year. We won the hunt at a charity auction and when we called he happened to have opening day still open. It should be a great shoot. I've been shooting skeet at least once a week to get in practice (and improving a lot), practicing my goose calling, and buying way too many hunting toys.

Sept.2 I'm planning on taking my 8 year old nephew out. It'll be just the two of us and I'm really hoping I can get some birds to work, more for him than for me.

So gals, what are your plans? When do your seasons start?
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Re: One week left!

Postby Quackity Gal » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:49 pm

Ug, I have now idea how bird season snuck up on me! I blame the job switch and moving states!

That being said, today is the dove opener for Texas. Guess who didn't go out ... :crying:

That being said, early teal opens later this month. I have absolutely no idea where I'm going to be hunting this year, or how much I'll even be able to get out. I still have to buy new waders! :no:

I'm a complete hunting mess I tell ya.

Good luck to everyone else out there as the seasons open!

-Quackity
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham
Quackity Gal
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:18 am

Oh man, I can imagine how adjusting to a new state must be. Gotta find all new spots and stuff.

My opening weekend has not bee quite what I planned. We ended up getting skunked on opening day. There were over 100 birds in the field the day before opener. The day we hunted turned out foggy, no wind, and HOT. We had a flock of 15 shortstop us 300 yards and a couple smaller flocks fly by in the distance, but it was a bust. Then I was supposed to take my 8 year old nephew out Friday, but he got grounded. Then I had somebody invite me to hunt Friday, and then he ended up hunting the spot on Thursday and renigged on the invitation. Tomorrow the weather is supposed to switch and the wind is going to be perfect for a new spot my husband gained access too. There's over 200 birds roosting in the area. But now I've got sick little boys at home, so I'll be staying home with them. Life happens. :tongue:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Quackity Gal » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:29 am

OG - It's a whole different life out here in Texas. Today is the first day temps started below 85 in the morning. I almost had to grab a sweatshirt when I woke up! :yes:

It's definitely a change from being able to drive 15 minutes to the nearest refuge to having 1.5 hour drive to the nearest public land. Good news is, there's deer land closer by (and more people that hunt 'em that are willing to take me out).

Add to that the danger of snakes, scorpions, tarantulas, and now a nail fungus for the dog...this state's just not as environmentally friendly as California was. Go figure.

But, I do love it out here, so that counts for something!

Hope your duck season goes better than your dove!

Cheers,
Quackity
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham
Quackity Gal
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:08 pm

The chance of poisonous snakes would freak me out. lol. I can deal with cold, snow, rain, bugs, mosquitoes, spiders, rodents, but snakes... *shudders* lol.

I wish we had a dove season! They put it up to the votes a few years ago and Michigan is one of the few states that doesn't have a dove season. The resident early goose season started on September 1 though, it runs through the 15th for the area we live and hunt in.

We hunted a new spot that my husband gained access too on Sunday. Got 2. Sure it's better than 0. And there're the only birds we shot at. We were hunting a cut wheat field and were watching a ton of geese flying around in the distance, but just couldn't get them to commit. We found out after the hunt that we were the 3rd group to hunt that field in 4 days. No wonder the geese didn't want anything to do with it. We were told initially we'd be the only ones out there. That's the way it goes. :tongue:

There's a good chance we'll hunt that area again on Saturday, just due to the sheer number of geese in the area.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:54 pm

Well, the geese decided they didn't want anything to do with the area where we hunted last week. However we were invited to hunt yesterday with a friend who had access to a good spot that was still holding birds. It was a fun morning. There were five of us and we ended up shooting 11 birds. If the wind had cooperated we would of had a few more. It was definately a good hunt though. :thumbsup:

2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum