Best way to get into duck hunting?

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, LadyK, NorCal Cazadora

Best way to get into duck hunting?

Postby MsMac » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:01 pm

My ex was going to introduce me and teach me but he's gone and I still want to get into duck hunting. I have experience hunting grouse but I basically need to start from scratch when it comes to duck hunting. What are the best resources?
MsMac
hunter

Re: Best way to get into duck hunting?

Postby huntall6 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:25 pm

The site will really provide a wealth of knowledge if you use the search button.
As far as someone to teach you, go to your local DU functions and get to know people. I would go into it farther but i am on a phone, nd are not a woman, so I will not clutter the women's forum with coodies...

sent from my fancy phone using a fancy app...
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby Quackity Gal » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:16 am

MsMac,

:welcome:

The key thing to remember is perseverance! You'll be surprised at how many resources will open up for you once you start telling hunters you want to get started. However, be prepared for a lot of flakes...sometimes you just have to get out there and do it by yourself.

As for gearing up...things are slowly starting to become available for us women in the duck hunting section. Prois and She-Safari are two big companies that make women's hunting clothing. While both heavily favor upland and big game, they are starting to expand the duck hunting lines. Take a moment to check out NorCal Cazadora's blog (http://www.norcalcazadora.com. She writes a great blog, and does extensive gear/clothing reviews.

I found a lot of great help from just hanging out at the check station at my local refuge. The DFG staff and other hunters were extremely helpful. Also, start watching the posts in your state forum. Ask for help during the off-season, and maybe even suggest a hunt together with DHC (Duck Hunting Chat) members in the area.

And, as always, feel free to contact me if you have any questions! I started late 2009 duck hunting. While I only have 1 solid season under my belt (and that was in California), I'd be glad to share what I've learned so far!

Cheers,
Quackity Gal
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham
Quackity Gal
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:44 am

Quackity had some good suggestions. Finding a local Delta Waterfowl or Ducks Unlimited groupand volunteering would be a great starting point. You should also look into B.O.W. (Becoming and Outdoors Woman) and W.I.T.O (Women In The Outdoors) as well. The BOW program especially might have some intro to waterfowling seminars. I know that even the local sporting goods stores like Gander Mountain often offer introductory seminars at times. Just start checking around. :)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum